The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hi Jazzguitar-members,

I found Ted Greene's version of Over the Rainbow on youtube here it is:

I would love to play his version so I began to search for TAB's and I found a PDF from his homepage - I attach it.
    Unfortunately I don't understand this. Does anyone have a version of this song written in Tab ? It would be great !

Thank you

Danny

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well danny, those are chord charts--just as easy to read as TAB, esentially...this is a rather daunting chart, mind you, but it's ted!

what you're looking at is a fretboard diagram...the number in the margin is fret position. ted has used some shorthand (x's, boxes, etc.) to denote notes to be played seperately in the chord form, i think (i just gave it a quick once over...)

here's the first four chords in tab, so you can relate it back to the chart...i think you'll see it pretty quickly.

-0----12----11------11------
    -0----9-------------12-------
    -6----9-----8-------11------
    -6---11-----9-------13------
    ------------11------11------
    -0----9---------------------

with all the string skipping in the chords, this is best accomplished fingerstyle, or a combination of pick and fingers.

ted's tuned down a half step in the vid too, so you won't be able to play along unless you do too.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 07-21-2009 at 02:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I hadn't seen this video before, thanks for posting.

wow thank you mr. beaumont.

very simple =) I didn't understand the x's and boxes etc.

Thank You
    Danny

User Info Menu

no, thank you! thanks for the chart. there's some gorgeous voicings in there.

i've stolen a lot from ted over the years...looks like i'll be stealing some more. what a brilliant player...it's funny, i play a lot of solo guitar, but i rarely listen to it. ted is the exception for me.

User Info Menu

Did Ted always tune down? Some of the stuff on his cd sounds like it is tuned down. His bass notes have a lot of bass!

User Info Menu

I have read on some thread somewhere that the order of the shorthand on the chord charts is circle, x, square, triangle. i remember this by thinking cxst-(sexist) has worked for me. have progressed in the tunes by printing out the words (google "home of the golden classics" theguitarguy.com) and following them. I have tried a few of those ted greene pdfs, over the rainbow, when you wish upon a star. (only completing one-'have yourself a merry little christmas') i lose confidence in choosing the time values for the notes and deciding wether they are melody or bass or embellishment (thats jazz for ya, i just need more familiarity with the songs I think & more practice time!), would also love to hear from anyone who has had success with these beautiful tunes.
    Last edited by elrond; 07-24-2009 at 11:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Elrond, That is correct. circle, x, rect and tri. in that sequence. I started Over the Rainbow two days ago and got up to the bridge. I only could accomplish this because of the you Tube video on this thread. I notice in the next sections at one point a group of arrows pointing to different fret diagrams. I imagine that may be his notation to repeat something. I also see fret diagrams where there is more than one notation on a fret. For instance, x and triangle. So that note would be played immediately following the voicing then again after the note which is designated with a rectangle. It would be a whole lot easier if the music were written in standard notation. I don't know if there are any books out there that have his arrangements transcribed but I am going to try and google this. If I find anything I'll let you know.

User Info Menu

great info elrond, thank you.

i've already changed a few things (and no, i think ted would have liked the fact that i did), but i love this arrangement.

Hi... I'm learning this song but I don't understand chord 9 and 10.
    Ted is playing there a Bass-Line but I can't get it. Can anybody help me please and write chord 9 and 10 as a Tab ?
    What means "FILL" ?

Thank you

Danny

User Info Menu

It's a IIm7 V7. Bm7 to E7.

Fill just means to add lib. You can pretty much do what you want. He starts by sliding into the low B from a half step below. Next he plays the fourth string(A) then the third string(D) and down to the fifth string 9th fret (F#) of the Bm7 chord followed by the open E, fourth string (G#) third string (D) and second string (E) of the E7 chord.
    Finger the E7 starting at the fourth string - m,r,i (middle, ring, index). This will make the transition to the next chord the Amaj7 easier. Of course don't forget to play the open E on the bottom of the E7 chord first.
    Hope this helps.

Bm7 E7
    -----------------------
    ------------5----------
    -7----------7----------
    -7----------6----------
    ------9----------------
    -7----------0----------
    Last edited by Patriots2006; 07-27-2009 at 07:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patriots2006
    It would be a whole lot easier if the music were written in standard notation.
    I can understand why Ted wrote out his tunes this way. It allows for personal preference and individual expression given the various alternative notes and chords. To write this in notation would take pages. Here Ted manages to articulate the tune and many options on just one sheet.

User Info Menu

Jazzalta,
    I understand your point but I could not have gotten as close to this arrangement as I have without watching the video despite the poor sound quality. I made minor changes to the single line stuff and only altered the ending. He doesn't appear to play what is written in regards to the fretboard diagrams towards the end of the tag.
    If this were an entirely unfamiliar tune I wouldn't know if I could play it at all. I would learn some new and interesting voicings which is a good thing but that's about all I could get from it I think!
    Standard notation allows me to learn and play anything and everything, within my own limitations of course, which there are plenty. lol!

User Info Menu

If this were an entirely unfamiliar tune I wouldn't know if I could play it at all.
    You're quite right. Greene, I imagine, presupposes that one knows the tune before tackling his grids.

User Info Menu

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prêt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne

Quote Originally Posted by d0nY?!
    Hi Jazzguitar-members,

I found Ted Greene's version of Over the Rainbow on youtube here it is:

I would love to play his version so I began to search for TAB's and I found a PDF from his homepage - I attach it.
    Unfortunately I don't understand this. Does anyone have a version of this song written in Tab ? It would be great !

Thank you

Danny
    Here it is...

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, Rich Severson has a version on his site that is pretty similar on first listen, although a little easier I would think. Couldn't hurt to check that out also for another variation.

User Info Menu

For others new to Ted Greene's site, there's a document (posted herewith) that describes how to read his chord diagrams.

Regards,

David

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    For you that don't know, many of Ted Greene's arrangements have been notated and/or aligned with the lead sheet so those unfamiliar with Ted's grid diagrams can read them more easily.
    If you go to the tedgreene website and then to the "From Students" section you can find these "compilation" pages.

TedGreene.com - Teachings - From Students

Here is "Over the Rainbow" as written up by one of Ted's students, Paul Vachon:
    TedGreene.com - Teachings

And here is an excellent document, "How to Read Ted Greene Chord Diagrams"
    http://www.tedgreene.com/images/less...rdDiagrams.pdf

Ted wrote his arrangements with the diagrams because it was easy, fast, and very accurate for how he wanted them played - yet they do allow room for personal interpretation. One first learns to play them "as written" by the grid diagrams, but then after that you can make rhythmic variations on the phrasing, add extra moving bass lines, arpeggios, right hand "rolls" etc.
    Last edited by jayv999; 10-18-2012 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Fantastic site Jay, thanks for posting the links. Although Ted's diagram notation is pretty straightforward to read, it's no less of a pain. Really helps to see things in standard notation.

User Info Menu

Jazzalta,
    I understand your point but I could not have gotten as close to this arrangement as I have without watching the video despite the poor sound quality. I made minor changes to the single line stuff and only altered the ending. He doesn't appear to play what is written in regards to the fretboard diagrams towards the end of the tag.
    If this were an entirely unfamiliar tune I wouldn't know if I could play it at all. I would learn some new and interesting voicings which is a good thing but that's about all I could get from it I think!
    Standard notation allows me to learn and play anything and everything, within my own limitations of course, which there are plenty. lol!
    Those were arrangements Ted handed out to his students, so the learning process was guided by him in person. They weren't necessarily the exact arrangements he performed, especially since he tended to improvise a lot.

User Info Menu

Sphere,
    You are correct. Ted's written arrangements (his lesson hand-outs) were made for his students. He almost always played much more elaborate arrangements when he performed, which was usually very improvised.
    Ted had a superb ear, and his command over harmony was ridiculous, and the combination of these two allowed him to play just about anything he could hear in his head - any key, multiple styles, treatments, etc.
    The written pages are aids for the students to learn some of his basics when approaching a particular arrangement.
    The more I study his works the more I remain in awe of Ted.
    Last edited by jayv999; 10-20-2012 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

For anyone who has not listened to Ted Greene before.Get out there and buy his solo guitar album.Try to listen to teds send in the clowns without crying,i know i cannot.Somebody pass me the tissues.What a player,check him out NOW!!!!

User Info Menu

This is a link to another recording from a tribute CD that I did for Ted after he passed away. Barbra and I talked quite a lot about this particular arrangement as being one of his favorites. I think I did something like five or 600 takes of this before I thought it was a decent interpretation… Lol

Over the Rainbow | John March

if anyone is still working on this and needs some help please let me know, I'll be happy to throw a few ideas in your direction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zenguitarguy
    This is a link to another recording from a tribute CD that I did for Ted after he passed away. Barbra and I talked quite a lot about this particular arrangement as being one of his favorites. I think I did something like five or 600 takes of this before I thought it was a decent interpretation… Lol

Over the Rainbow | John March

if anyone is still working on this and needs some help please let me know, I'll be happy to throw a few ideas in your direction.

Thank you John..I studied with Ted and this tune was one he liked alot..I would hear Chips Hoover play Teds arrangement for his students when I was at some lessons with Ted.

While its been years since his passing it seems Ted has a greater following these days. I feel very fortunate to have known and studied with him.

thanks again