The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Below is a YouTube link for a really nice CM arrangement of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (yeah... I know: it's a bit early!). I need some help figuring out the chords and voicings that are being played between 00:00:38 and 00:00:46. Can anybody help?

Regards,

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Paul;

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this for me.

Regards,

David

User Info Menu

That's pretty good.

Electric adjustable beds prices and reviews

User Info Menu

Man... I kinda fiddled around on this by ear and trying out notes and chords by watching him last week sometime. This is one difficult arrangement he came up with. But it's a terrific composition he came up with.

User Info Menu

Nicely done David!!! Happy Holidays.

I certainly cannot take credit for the video--it wasn't me! In fact, I'm still trying to figure this one out. Maybe some kind, learned, and bored soul on this message board will take pity on me (us?) and post a transcription (notation and tab). /hint-nudge-wink-hint

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link - really tasteful arrangement. Yea, jazzguitarken really nailed that video. By the way tonedr does a very similar version ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjpZ4G0x40").

Anyway, I just had to learn it. Here's the transcription (pdf and midi). I'm sure there are a few mistakes, and the timing isn't perfect on some of the transitions with the lines. There are a coupla alterations I took the liberty to make. Other than that, I think you will find it pretty complete.

Enjoy!
    Marc
    Last edited by GtrMack; 03-02-2010 at 12:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GtrMack
    Thanks for the link - really tasteful arrangement. Yea, jazzguitarken really nailed that video. By the way tonedr does a very similar version ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjpZ4G0x40").

Anyway, I just had to learn it. Here's the transcription (pdf and midi). I'm sure there are a few mistakes, and the timing isn't perfect on some of the transitions with the lines. There are a coupla alterations I took the liberty to make. Other than that, I think you will find it pretty complete.

Enjoy!
    Marc
    Marc, Thank you sooooo much!!!

User Info Menu

Awesome, I had been watching this thread too! beautiful version.
    thankyou Marc

User Info Menu

I think Rich Severson at guitarcollege.com had it in tab on his website. Free download.

This was sometime back when I downloaded it. You might want to check see if its still there.

User Info Menu

Nice job. I like your voicings.

User Info Menu

A great tune...been playing it for years and is well liked by everyone who hears it..

my arrangement is somewhat like this...

Kenny Burrell version on Have Yourself A merry Christmas is just great..

time on the instrument man...pierre

User Info Menu

Vey nice arrangement, M-ster! Good voicings, nice tone and very well presented. I enjoyed it very much. More please!

wiz

User Info Menu

Very cool M-ster... much more interesting harmonically... be nice to hear things ring a little more... or not great post... Best Reg

User Info Menu

Yes, good observation, Reg. It's very vertical ... chord, chord, chord, chord. I think that's partly why I went to the 3-part stuff on the bridge. But, you're right ...

Ran across this James Taylor version, too. One interesting sub in here, I thought:

User Info Menu

Hey M-ster... I dug you arrangement...You sound like great player, just sort of sounded out...
    Judy...wow... the good old days were good. Taylor's version was cool, I ,VI- ,IV-, bVII7, instead of I VI II V , sounds like old Lorber fusion groove. Best Reg

User Info Menu

Check out Ted Greene playing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas on Youtube:
    YouTube - Ted Greene - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Video
    Also, go to the TedGreene.com website to find Ted's lesson sheet for playing this arrangement. Go to the "Tunes" section, and also to the "From Students" section for a notated version of it.
    --Jay

User Info Menu

Very cool vid', jayv (um, after you get past the first 2.5 minutes and the playing begins )!

Is it me, or does he have the guitar tuned down a step? Looks like he's in Eb, but sounds in Db. Interesting choice of keys. I believe JG is in G in the original, and I played it in C to move the melody higher ...

Ha! And, even better - the versions on the Ted Greene site are in A. Beautiful! Nice stuff in Ted's arrangements!
    Last edited by M-ster; 11-13-2010 at 01:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Ted Greene reference, Jayv - there's an amazing amount of stuff there. More than I'll be able to use for the next few years anyway!

User Info Menu

Here's my take on this tune. Hope you like!

User Info Menu

Hi RunningBeagle,
    that was absolutely beautiful and Merry Xmas to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steev
    Hi RunningBeagle,
    that was absolutely beautiful and Merry Xmas to you.
    Thanks! You too.

Added made some charts if anyone's interested.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot Marc, I've been searching for a tab of the jazzguitartaken video since a couple of years. I've never managed to get *THAT* tune.
    Just a note: your sheet seems to be 2 semitones lower than the video.
    Oh, a suggestion on the "a": Have yourself a merry [...]
    You play xxxx8, I usually prefer xx5668, it gives a jazzy feeling.
    --
    M-ster, what a great performance!
    Last edited by flapane; 04-11-2011 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Enjoy!
    Marc
    I have been trying to fiqure this one out for 2 years. Always missing something. thank You fo rposting the tab.

User Info Menu

Hooray, 11 more months before I have to play this again.