The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hi everyone

I am curious to know what are the tunes you end up playing the most at solo guitar gigs. The tunes that have the highest % of being played. Maybe a top 5 would be great. thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a difficult one as I think it's all over the board.

I will say this, both jazz fans and non-jazz fans seem to enjoy a beatles arrangement.

User Info Menu

The Shadow Of Your Smile
    The Nearness of You
    Stranger In Paradise
    Somos Novios
    Cry Me A River
    My Foolish Heart
    My One and Only Love
    Misty
    The Girl From Ipanema
    Corcovado
    Dindi
    .... the list could go on for a while. Ballad heavy, but with a couple of up tempos. Actually, I like the bossa nova tunes especially for that, like Desafinado, One Note Samba.

User Info Menu

I haven't actually stepped up to do solo gigs yet, just combo stuff. Nevertheless, I'll put money on these good ole good 'uns, to quote Louis Armstrong.

All the Things You Are
    Misty
    Summertime
    Autumn Leaves

If you don't play these, you might as well put your guitar in a case in the basement. ATTYA is the first jazz tune I learned to play chord-melody style, and it's still my favorite tune to play. Misty is number 2.

Some songs are just more fun and interesting to play than others--generally those with nice chord changes, lots of room for playing around with the melody.

A few more favorites:

Stella by Starlight
    Polka Dots and Moonbeams
    Fly Me to the Moon
    Tenderly
    Cry Me a River
    Yesterday
    My Funny Valentine
    Don't Know Why
    The Nearness of You
    As Time Goes By
    Don't Get Around Much Anymore

User Info Menu

True. And so many others.

When I Fall In Love
    I'll Be Seeing You
    I Fall In Love Too Easily
    Stardust
    Waltz For Debby
    'Round Midnight.......

User Info Menu

Not my strongest area, but when I play solo gigs I'll generally play:

Darn That Dream
    Stella
    ATTYA
    My Romance
    The Bat
    Moon River
    Foggy Day
    Soul Eyes
    Nuages
    Body and Soul
    Waltz For Debby
    Time After Time

Stuff like that. Off the top of my head.

Thank you all. I am mostly wondering about the Most played as Im aware the repertory has no end. Also I was curious to hear about thoses who are doing solo gigs on a regular basis. Keep them coming! Ill compile those and come back with a top 10 or something

User Info Menu

I would second the Jobim list. They lay out so easily on guitar (for obvious reasons), and everyone needs to know them.

User Info Menu

All kinds of blues (F and Bb blues), some rhythm changes (just one we could say, most of them are in Bb).
    Autumn Leaves (guitar players love playing it in E minor, especially "beginners") and modal tunes, guitar players really love them.
    And some famous tunes...
    Hum... Herbie Hancock, Charlie Parker & Miles Davis tunes are maybe the most popular.
    I've forgotten... Horace Silver, Song For My Father, the blue scale comes easily when everyone is lost because of a guy who still believes it's an AABA chord progressions, but it's AAB !!!
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 04-23-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    All kinds of blues (F and Bb blues), some rhythm changes (just one we could say, most of them are in Bb).
    Autumn Leaves (guitar players love playing it in E minor, especially "beginners") and modal tunes, guitar players really love them.
    And some famous tunes...
    Hum... Herbie Hancock, Charlie Parker & Miles Davis tunes are maybe the most popular.
    I've forgotten... Horace Silver, Song For My Father, the blue scale comes easily when everyone is lost because of a guy who still believes it's an AABA chord progressions, but it's AAB !!!
    Are you talking about solo ( chord-melody) playing? If yes which Parker tunes do you find yourself playing? I would love to hear Song for my father in chord-melody. You may be my hero!

User Info Menu

I was wondering if he meant chord melody solo guitar, or soloing guitar. I haven't heard a lot of people playing chord melody Parker tunes, or Herbie. Dolphin Dance or Tell Me A Bedtime Story would be cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Takemitsu
    Are you talking about solo ( chord-melody) playing? If yes which Parker tunes do you find yourself playing? I would love to hear Song for my father in chord-melody. You may be my hero!
    I'm out of topic !!! I'm sorry !!! I'm not able to play a chord... But I'm just able to play the melody of Twinkle Twinkle Little... I'm kidding... But maybe it's the truth...

The only tunes I could play in chord melody could be Autumn Leaves, All The Things You Are and Misty.

Again, I'm sorry !!!

User Info Menu

I do "Scrapple."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I do "Scrapple."
    I do Ko-ko and Some Skunk Funk... No, I don't...
    Oh ? I would like to hear that !!!

User Info Menu

I'll try and record it if I get any time in the near future...I play the A section as single notes, then chord solo the "B."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'll try and record it if I get any time in the near future...I play the A section as single notes, then chord solo the "B."
    OK ! Good challenge ! If I've got time and if you do it, I will try with All The Things You Are, I'm sure I can do it.
    You notice I'm chosing the simpliest.

User Info Menu

Go for it, it's a good one!

Mr. B: what would be your most played tunes list?

User Info Menu

Shoot, I dunno...I know what I play all the time...

I don't think I've ever done a gig and not played Darn that Dream and My Funny Valentine.

I'm a sucker for Shorter's "Fall," "Nuages," and "Midnight Mood" (actually haven't done that last one in a while--I used to open with it a lot) but I'm guessing those aren't quite as popular.

I need a solo gig...been a while. Daddy dom does not leaves much time to hustle.

User Info Menu

I can't play solo guitar. I'm cursed with having to work with other humans.

It's horrible.

User Info Menu

Here is a solo-version of "Song for my father"

Look up his other videos too :-)

There is a german guy named Manfred Dierkes. He's got nothing on Youtube but you can listen to him here:

Manfred Dierkes - It's About Time

He plays "Donna Lee" and "Billie's Bounce". On another record he also does "Anthropology". They are well worth the money.

Greets Christoph

User Info Menu

Those kind of guys have always impressed me. Thanks for sharing !

This one is wonderful too :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I was wondering if he meant chord melody solo guitar, or soloing guitar. I haven't heard a lot of people playing chord melody Parker tunes, or Herbie. Dolphin Dance or Tell Me A Bedtime Story would be cool.
    Mike Oria, wonderful player who posts here fairly regularly does some wonderful solo versions of Charlie Parer tunes. He had quite a YouTube hit with Yardbird Suite and actually sold charts for his arrangement.

Last edited by Jim Soloway; 04-25-2014 at 10:21 AM.

User Info Menu

I usually play in a duo, not solo, but when I do play solo gigs I've got about 30 songs I can do. These 10 are pretty much always in the mix:

All The Things You Are
    Autumn Leaves
    Here’s That Rainy Day
    I Don’t know Why (Shawn Colvin)
    Moonlight In Vermont
    Polka Dots and Moonbeams
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow
    There Will Never Be Another You
    Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton)
    World Without Love (Lennon/McCartney for Peter and Gordon)

User Info Menu

Mike Oria is wonderful ! Thanks for sharing.