The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist
    I kind of feel weird just popping in with such a low post count.....like "Who is this guy? Is he even a player? Does he even have a clue....?"

I'll try to earn some credibility as time goes on......but for now, "thank you" to everyone for the helpful information.
    You're welcome.

We all start with 0 posts and some stay there. Most people don't look at how many previous posts you've made---unless you come in with something wholly off the wall, like the guy whose first post was a Showcase video purporting to show he was the world's greatest guitarist; we were not amused. They look at what you say and see whether they think it makes sense. Some people getting over their "jitters" by posting a simple "+1" or "that's what I was thinking!"

In half no time you'll feel like an old-timer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Despite knowing a few chord melody tunes, and many other fingerpicking, blue grass tunes etc (like everybody else)-I just wasn't getting it. None of the jazz books even alluded to a possible systematic approach. It was always "...over this part I played a Dm 7th b5th because its sounds cool.." not because it was the clear choice harmonically. What was missing was the "dictionary" to the language of chord melody. With Conti's book you the dictionary and the thesaurus laid in 10 pages (30 pages with his notes). Maybe, I am a slow learner, but I have a 3 foot stack of books relating jazz, chord melody and harmony, and this single book is more useful and accessible than all of them. I really believe, other authors have been holding out, keeping this their as secret weapon.
    I plan on buying ALL of Conti's DVD's (30), and studying them like the "Dead Sea Scrolls". I am even making plans buy his signature guitar (made by Peerlesss) over the next few years. Go to www.robertconti.com and give his sample a listen.

User Info Menu

he is a great teacher...his cycle 4 methods are nothing new...You would have run into that with Ted Greene's book from way back....but, he lays it out so well....same with the diminished cord subs....and few other tips for cord melody construction...Just be careful, don't over do it....Just like anything else you will start to sound mechanical....

User Info Menu

So are Conti's chord forms just drop-2 and drop-3 forms and inversions thereof, or is there something special about them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    So are Conti's chord forms just drop-2 and drop-3 forms and inversions thereof, or is there something special about them?
    Conti says in one of his DVDs that he doesn't know what "drop-2" means. His chord forms are not special. What he has done is something that others have done on their own but that most of us probably never would: figure a way to put every note on top of a major, minor, or dominant chord. You learn them and get used to using them and it gives you a floor, a base to start from with chord melody. He moves far beyond such basics in "The Formula" but the basics are what you need to know first.

User Info Menu

Before buying the formula I asked the same question. and the answer was , if you know the D2/D3 forms move on to the formula.....So I did...and he uses the same cords...In the formula, he will go through substituting your way through arrangements...So depends on where you are....

User Info Menu

Ya'll talked me into it and my copy arrived yesterday ...

Not exactly stuff I didn't know .... but it looks like he has organized his approach in a way that will help put all of that stuff together and help me improve

So all I have to do now is work through it .... unlike my Martin Taylor book which I found the other day in a pile of all of the other books that I promised myself I would work through

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Ya'll talked me into it and my copy arrived yesterday ...

Not exactly stuff I didn't know .... but it looks like he has organized his approach in a way that will help put all of that stuff together and help me improve
    That's the key. It's a solid foundation. If you work with those forms and apply them to tunes in a fakebook, you develop a useful skill. One reason that Conti calls it the "Assembly Line" is that the aim is efficiency more than artistry. You learn the chords, you apply them to tunes you want to play, you get good at that, and then you're ready for the next level, "The Formula."

User Info Menu

This is a really interesting thread for me.......I guess i am not alone in having a pile of jazz guitar books, most of which can be summarized as admonishing:

"Memorize every scale -- and every mode of every scale -- in every key......" I

guess somehow *music* is supposed to evolve from that process....?

Oh, and I also have a couple of gigantic grimoires of "10,000 chords...."

I just got Conti's "The Formula" book as well......it will be interesting to see if it helps my playing......

User Info Menu

drop the memorize 10,000 cords thing...but...do memorize the D2/D3...and triads....and use them in arrangements.
    enjoy whatever you do....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artcore
    drop the memorize 10,000 cords thing...but...do memorize the D2/D3...and triads....and use them in arrangements.
    I think someone in the marketing department came up with such titles as "10,000 chords" because no one who plays well is impressed by that number. If you can move around five TYPES of chords (major, minor, dominant, augmented, diminished) you can handle most of what you'll run into.

I agree it's good to know those voicings on the top four strings---they make comping sparkle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artcore
    Yeah, I am pretty much going to draw the line at 9,900 chords....that should be enough!

On a serious note, I assume that the "D2/D3" is referring to "drop two and/or drop three" chords?

I have read at least (2) very different definitions of what a "drop 2" chord was -- can you please clarify?
    Last edited by Paultergeist; 07-14-2014 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Rather then go into that its been so covered before...I would recommend you order "cords galore" by Jack Petersen, its a to the point small book...but covers it well with examples...you could goggle it also and I would guess get the same info.I think of the D2/D3 forms and triads as the mother cords, or foundation cords...From these forms you will start to look at cords ( as so many others have pointed out)...as intervals....Not grips....gets easier with time...so when you get a copy of Ted greene"s cord chemistry, you will see that Ted just took the basic triads and added notes and dropped notes and transferred notes from one octave to another on the neck...in very creative way of course...anyway, start with the good old established easy to play D2 and D3 forms.and the basic 1-3-5 triads....That's my opinion from a not very good player. I struggle more today with stiff fingers and a brain that doesn't always coordinate with the fingers...

User Info Menu

Here's a handy guide to drop 2 chords

Drop 2 Chords & Voicings For Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That's the key. It's a solid foundation. If you work with those forms and apply them to tunes in a fakebook, you develop a useful skill. One reason that Conti calls it the "Assembly Line" is that the aim is efficiency more than artistry. You learn the chords, you apply them to tunes you want to play, you get good at that, and then you're ready for the next level, "The Formula."

Now that they have my email, I'll keep an eye out for their next sale and pick up "The Formula"

Funny ... Conti's site shows up as "home improvement" on my credit card statement

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Now that they have my email, I'll keep an eye out for their next sale and pick up "The Formula"
    Since the 4th of July sale just came and went, it might be Thanksgiving or Christmas before there is another one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Since the 4th of July sale just came and went, it might be Thanksgiving or Christmas before there is another one.
    Thanksgiving could be good timing ...

User Info Menu

So I ran through the Assembly Line rather fast ....

I guess my playing is advanced enough that the fingerings and concepts weren't that challenging ...

I probably could have gone straight to the Formula ... which arrived in the mail yesterday ...

but I'm glad I worked through the Assembly Line first ... I really like the way he approached applying chords to the melodies ... it will help to have done that

Now to dig into "The Formula" ... I'll try to move slower with this one ... it looks like stuff that is easy to play, but the point is to absorb it all into my tiny brain and make it stick

Once I'm done with that .... I'll attack my Martin Taylor book .... the first thing it says is to quit thinking of chord melody as chords ... or something like that .... heh

User Info Menu

Great stuff indeed. Thanks Mark for that link.