The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hi,
    i'm studying this chord solos from "Joe Pass Chord Solos" and in order to remember and easly re-read chords i'm putting it in Finale2012 with chords diagram and with TAB.
    Anybody knows this arrangment and want to share with me how it should sound well performed ?

Have a look the first page :

Joe Pass Chord Solos - Misty-misty_joe_pass_chord_solo_auto_pagina_1-jpg
    thanks
    Paolo

ps: i hope i don't violate any copyright if i post something i wrote but that is a copy of a book, right ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well if you could find the original recording what could there possibly be left of any questions?

User Info Menu

Hi Paolo,
    It's been a few years since I've played this arrangement but I *might* put one up some time in the near future. However, there are some errors I've noticed, and this is just the first few bars:

Bar 1:
    5th chord should be: BbAbDG -- 6x678
    6th chord should be: AbEbGBb -- xx6886
    7th chord should be: AbDGbC -- xx6778

Bar 2:
    The book itself had errors here:
    3rd chord should have the "Eb6/9" over it instead of the 4th.
    4th chord should be: Eb Maj7 -- EbBbDG -- x6878x (The "G" should be natural ♮)

Bar 3:
    1st chord should be BbAbDbF -- 6x666x
    and so on...

Good work though!
    I don't want you to think I'm picking on you. I'm sure there would be many people interested if you were willing to share your work but the Joe Pass book itself has mistakes that would need a good eye to fix.
    Last edited by jckoto3; 02-06-2014 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks jckoto3 let me know when you'll put on up.
    In the meanwhile i'll continue my study.

I'm here to learn so your comments are really welcome, i'll correct my errors.

So there is an original recording from Joe Pass of this version of Misty ? In wich album ?

User Info Menu

I finished to write (with finale) and here it is what it looks like.
    Hope someone can find errors and i'll be glad to correct and repost
    and i hope someone can find it usefull.
    If you want the pdf PM.

Joe Pass Chord Solos - Misty-misty_joe_pass_chord_pagina_1-jpgJoe Pass Chord Solos - Misty-misty_joe_pass_chord_pagina_2-jpgJoe Pass Chord Solos - Misty-misty_joe_pass_chord_pagina_3-jpgJoe Pass Chord Solos - Misty-misty_joe_pass_chord_pagina_4-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi,
    i've correct some errors and inserted chord notations.

You can download from this link the pdf file :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3lZ563GRb9mbjlsSm5WeWR0Rm8/edit?usp=sharing
    Last edited by paolo.vertullo; 02-12-2014 at 11:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Measure 3 - your chord symbol says Bbm7, but the chord notated and tabbed is a Bb7.

User Info Menu

thank you GodinFan,
    error corrected.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jckoto3
    Hi Paolo,
    It's been a few years since I've played this arrangement but I *might* put one up some time in the near future. However, there are some errors I've noticed, and this is just the first few bars:

Bar 1:
    5th chord should be: BbAbDG -- 6x678
    6th chord should be: AbEbGBb -- xx6886
    7th chord should be: AbDGbC -- xx6778

Bar 2:
    3rd chord should have the "Eb6/9" over it instead of the 4th.
    4th chord should be: Eb Maj7 -- EbBbDG -- x6878x (The "G" should be natural ♮)

Bar 3:
    1st chord should be BbAbDbF -- 6x666x
    and so on...

Good work though!
    I don't want you to think I'm picking on you. I'm sure there would be many people interested if you were willing to share your work but the Joe Pass book itself has mistakes that would need a good eye to fix.
    Hey jkoto3: how do you know the book has mistakes? I didn't know there were any recordings of these arrangements. I played through this book a lot many years ago, and the arrangments made sense (although the chord symbols were a little strange, but I figured that was how joe organized it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Hey jkoto3: how do you know the book has mistakes? I didn't know there were any recordings of these arrangements. I played through this book a lot many years ago, and the arrangments made sense (although the chord symbols were a little strange, but I figured that was how joe organized it
    I've done a lot of proofreading music so things just pop out to my eyes -- there are indeed many typographical errors in the book. In regards to what I mentioned above:

In bar 2, the book has two problems: the Eb6/9 symbol over what should be an EbMaj7 drop 2 voicing in root position (EbBbDG), and the EbMaj7 drop 2 chord itself.
    Joe Pass Chord Solos - Misty-jp_misty-png
    Note the Key signature is Eb Major, so Bb Eb and Ab are applied. I won't mention the first EbMaj7 since that seems stylistically Joe, at least according to his Chord book.

1. The Eb6/9 symbol is clearly misplaced as there is no 6 or 9 present on this chord. It's clear from context that the Eb6/9 symbol belongs over the preceding chord which is one of JP's commonly used rootless 6/9 voicings, notated GCFBb.

2. The final chord of the measure written as-is is an Ebm/Maj7 since the preceding accidental Gb wasn't cancelled. This sounds wrong and it's pretty clear that is not what was intended. I think it's pretty clear from context that it should be a EbMaj7 drop 2 in root position and there should be a natural accidental to cancel the previous Gb.

(not) 3. Not necessarily an error, but I think Joe used "b13" and "+" (i.e. aug) symbols interchangeably which is what is done with the "Bb7+" symbol over AbDGbC.

Joe Pass Chord Solos - Misty-jp_misty2-png
    In bar 3 the book has the chord symbol notated Bbmi7 but the notation is BbAbDF, a Bb Dominant 7, so one or the other is wrong. Joe liked to sub Dominant chords for minor so it's not exactly clear from context which was intended but I suggested the actual Bbm7 BbAbDbF in my comment above since that is the "correct" one keeping in line with the ii-V-I at this point of the tune. In a later measure there is indeed an accidental Db with the Bbmi7 symbol.

This book, good as it is for content, is rife with typos...

User Info Menu

jckoto3

OK, thanks. I agree that some of the chord symbols are wrong or confusing, but you did point out some probable mistakes in the notation. I'll dig it out this evening and look carefully myself.

I think that book is great, in any case. A lot of JP's chordal runs are simple and and sound good, I found easy to internalize: a lot of my (admittedly crude) chord melody vocabulary came from that book.

User Info Menu

But, I take it the recordings these came from don't exist?

User Info Menu

Incidentally, to the OP, Misty is the first tune in that book, but also the hardest to read, since as a ballad it skirts into double time every now and then, making it much harder to notate. The more uptempo tunes in the book are much easier to read/learn.

User Info Menu

So i generaly can trust notes but not chord symbols but sometimes the chord symbol is more appropriate.....it's sound challenging.
    Anyone have or can record himself and want to share ?

User Info Menu

Paolo: your re-write is missing ties in several places.

User Info Menu

Pkirk - You did an excellent job recording that originally error filled transcription - not yours, Paolo, the original. I have that same Joe Pass chord solo book, which also has Sunny, and a couple of others. I could never find a recording by Joe of these songs as written. The errors in the original book were very irritating.

Paolo, your idea of entering the sheet music into Finale or, in my case, Sibelius is a good idea to catch the errors and to refine the arrangement. Plus it gives you instant feedback on playback. I mention refine the arrangement, because in truth I have rarely heard Joe Pass play songs in such a block chord fashion, which in my mind is harder to sight read than a more counterpuntal version with clearer inner voice lines.

User Info Menu

Here's a cleaner recording of this. Swings a little better. I could probably spend a few more days cleaning it up more, but diminishing returns, etc. I'll remove the one on soundcloud.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12688121

User Info Menu

I'm studying but it's hard for me. thanks again for your recording.
    I'll keep going and may be i''ll record my self.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paolo.vertullo
    I'm studying but it's hard for me. thanks again for your recording.
    I'll keep going and may be i''ll record my self.
    It's worth the hard work! I look forward to to hearing your recording.

User Info Menu

pkirk: your recording of misty was grand. have you ever recorded any of the five remaining chord solos from the book? I know it's a big ask, but if you have would you consider posting them also? thanks

Paul - nice playing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srs
    pkirk: your recording of misty was grand. have you ever recorded any of the five remaining chord solos from the book? I know it's a big ask, but if you have would you consider posting them also? thanks
    srs: I just noticed your question, I missed it when you posted. I did at one point memorize all but one of the tunes (billie joe?). But [whine] it has been a long time, it would take a while for me to work up, and I have limited practice time and I'm focused on other things these days, and, I cringe when I listen to the one of Misty I posted, it's so unswinging and full of mistakes.....[\whine]

So, probably not, although I love an audience, I may reconsider. I did Misty partly because I remember how hard it was to read in comparison to the others because the double time was written out, so I figured my pain could help someone else.

Surely there are tons of better players who could do this: I'd like to hear one of the many (former) classical players who hang here tackle these.

PS Phil, thanks for the compliment
    Last edited by pkirk; 03-31-2014 at 08:18 PM.