The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Eddie Lang has a wonderful output of music, but most of it is in duo or small group form. As far as I can find, there are really only 3 pieces where the whole arrangement is playable on guitar:

April Kisses (which I have learned)
    A Little Love, a Little Kiss
    Prelude in C#m

There are a few that might be possible with some work, such as Pickin' My Way (w. Kress)and Stringing the Blues (w. Venuti). On Stringing, you could probably play Lang's rhythm part and it would sound cool. On Pickin', you'd need to be creative to get some of Kress's chordal sounds under Lang's melody part.

Does anyone play solo arrangements of Eddie Lang pieces, or have other ideas for what might work? Unless you know a crack jazz violinist to send my way...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I understand the question. You can play any tune as a solo arrangement. Or, are you looking for things that you can transcribe that will sound good if you just play them without the other violin part?

User Info Menu

Roger,
    I've heard Swedish guitarist Lasse Johansson play Feeling My Way and Wildcat Blues as solo pieces. It's been years since I've heard Lang and Venuti play Wildcat so I'm not certain if it's the same tune; he gives credit to Fats Waller. A search on YouTube for Johansson should give you some clips of him playing some early jazz tunes solo.
    Regards,
    Jerome

User Info Menu

Thanks Jerome for the tip, which I will try to investigate ASAP!

ecj, I know that theoretically any tune can be played solo with enough arranging effort. But I'm not looking to drastically rearrange Eddie Lang's performances. Many of those tunes are played with rapid four to the bar rhythm in his wonderful, signature style, which I want to duplicate to the greatest extent possible. So I'm looking for pieces that might let me get there without just sounding like I'm playing a bunch of chords.

As noted, April Kisses is a perfect example of what I want to do. It stands alone as a solo piece.

User Info Menu

Eddie's version of "Helena" (written by Carl Kress) is a great stand-alone solo with a really neat Latin rhythm. It is in a CRAZY tuning, though. Check this chart:

http://leyoy.free.fr/Helena/Helena.pdf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tele295
    Eddie's version of "Helena" (written by Carl Kress) is a great stand-alone solo with a really neat Latin rhythm. It is in a CRAZY tuning, though. Check this chart:

Eddie Lang never recorded this tune. Kress did.

User Info Menu

Then the recording I have (Picking my Way-Best of Eddie Lang) is mis-attributed. Cool tune nonetheless

User Info Menu

Then the recording I have (Picking my Way-Best of Eddie Lang) is mis-attributed. Cool tune nonetheless
    If the recording you have is the one that Amazon sells as a download with the Blues Masters banner, then it is mis-attributed along with several other cuts.

User Info Menu

That's the one, but I got it through iTunes. What are the other mis-attributed cuts?

User Info Menu

Eddie recorded Helena on one of the more recent compilation CDs - available through ITunes/Amazon. The song was written (and performed) by Kress but Lang's version is alive and well.
    Mel Bay's book (the plectrum guitar songbook) has a version of it, which comes pretty close to Eddie's version.
    If some of the recording is difficult to make out have a listen to Bucky P's version on his April Kisses CD. It's tasty and a little less involved in parts than Lang's.

User Info Menu

Here you go,Tele295,

8. Helena-Carl Kress
    13. Chicken ala Swing-Dick McDonough & Carl Kress
    17. Love Song-Carl Kress
    19. Danzon-Dick McDonough & Carl Kress
    21. Heat Wave-McDonough & Kress
    35. Afterthoughts 1-Kress
    41. Peg Leg Shuffle-Kress
    46. Stagefright-McDonough & Kress
    53. Afterthoughts 2 & 3-Kress
    57. Sutton Mutton-Kress

Regards,
    Jerome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleman3726
    Eddie recorded Helena on one of the more recent compilation CDs - available through ITunes/Amazon. The song was written (and performed) by Kress but Lang's version is alive and well.
    Mel Bay's book (the plectrum guitar songbook) has a version of it, which comes pretty close to Eddie's version.
    If some of the recording is difficult to make out have a listen to Bucky P's version on his April Kisses CD. It's tasty and a little less involved in parts than Lang's.
    That's a cheap poorly documented collection of tunes that someone slapped together to make some easy money. Lang never recorded Helena. Kress composed the song in 1939, six years after Lang's death.

User Info Menu

Carl Kress was originally a tenor banjo player. The tenor is tuned in fifths.

As far as I can tell this tuning came from the following steps:

1) Tune the guitar in fifths starting on Bb: Bb F C G D A

2) Tune the A string one octave down (re-entrant). Up to this step it seems to be Kress's doing.

3) Switch the top two strings to keep the strings in pitch order: Bb F C G A D. This last step might be Mr. Rascle's (the transcriber's) doing.

ocd

User Info Menu

I remember reading that Kress tuned his guitar Bb. F. C. G. D. A. and that in his later years he opted for Bb. F. D. G. A. D. Also that at some point he may have used Bb. F. C. G. B. D. (the way that Marty Grosz tunes his guitar).

User Info Menu

There is very interesting thesis about Eddie Lang guitar style

An examination of Eddie Lang's technique and textural treatment in three selected solo guitar performances
    by Saladino, Frank, D.M.A., FIVE TOWNS COLLEGE, 2013, 139 pages

Tunes notated in standard notation and there is a lot chord diagrams in his chordal technique analaysis. Grat work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    That's a cheap poorly documented collection of tunes that someone slapped together to make some easy money. Lang never recorded Helena. Kress composed the song in 1939, six years after Lang's death.

How do you know Lang didn't record Helena?
    Can you suggest some better recordings than the "slapped together" one? I have the "Quintessential" collection as well as the box set of NYC recordings with Venuti and the blues guy (can't remember his name at the moment).
    Thanks
    Chris

User Info Menu

Hi Chris,
    Please read the last sentence of my first reply that you quoted in your post. That will explain how I know that Lang didn't record Helena.

In my opinion, the best Lang collection for both sound and documentation is the Mosaic box set. The nest is probably the JSP box set. I haven't heard or seen the Quintessential set that you mention so I can't comment on that.

Lang's only known solo recordings are April Kisses, A Little Love A Little Kiss and the Rachmaninoff Prelude.

Regards,
    Jerome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Hi Chris,
    Please read the last sentence of my first reply that you quoted in your post. That will explain how I know that Lang didn't record Helena.

In my opinion, the best Lang collection for both sound and documentation is the Mosaic box set. The nest is probably the JSP box set. I haven't heard or seen the Quintessential set that you mention so I can't comment on that.

Lang's only known solo recordings are April Kisses, A Little Love A Little Kiss and the Rachmaninoff Prelude.

Regards,
    Jerome

Jerome
    Got it. I read too quickly sometimes.
    I wonder how many other tunes on that disc are not Eddie?
    Here's a link to the Quintessential CD: http://www.amazon.com/Quintessential...rds=eddie+lang
    It's OK.....
    Which one is the Mosaic? JSP?
    The other disc that I think is a little amusing (although it's pretty good) is the 70's (I think) recordings of Joe Venuti an Tony Montoya - who plays Lang's L5, that was apparently given to him.
    I'm a huge fan of Eddie Lang, so feel free to send/post any more information/charts/CD's you think are worthwhile
    Thanks
    Chri

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleman3726
    Jerome
    Got it. I read too quickly sometimes.
    I wonder how many other tunes on that disc are not Eddie?
    Here's a link to the Quintessential CD: Amazon.com: The Quintessential Eddie Lang 1925-1932: Music
    It's OK.....
    Which one is the Mosaic? JSP?
    The other disc that I think is a little amusing (although it's pretty good) is the 70's (I think) recordings of Joe Venuti an Tony Montoya - who plays Lang's L5, that was apparently given to him.
    I'm a huge fan of Eddie Lang, so feel free to send/post any more information/charts/CD's you think are worthwhile
    Thanks
    Chri
    Chris,
    Please refer to Post#11.

The Mosaic Limited Edition 8 CD box set #213 Classic Columbia and Okeh Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang Sessions is listed as Out of Print on their website.

The 4 CD JSP box set is discussed here:
    The New York Sessions 1926-1935 - Eddie Lang | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

I also have the Venuti-Montoya disc which I bought primarily to hear a modern recording of Lang's L5.
    If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
    Regards,
    Jerome

User Info Menu

There are a bunch of Eddy Lang tunes (performances) here

red hot bands archive

Eddie Lang

Great site for music from those days.

interesting discussion along here thanks.

User Info Menu

same site eddie lang joe venuti

Ed Lang and his Orchestra

User Info Menu

You're not kidding! I wonder if that was written for harp guitar?

User Info Menu

Windows Media Player won't play those files. What player will work?

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    There are a bunch of Eddy Lang tunes (performances) here

red hot bands archive

Eddie Lang

Great site for music from those days.

interesting discussion along here thanks.

User Info Menu

windows media player used to work, I don't know what they changed;

the other day I downloaded and converted them to mp3 to play them.