The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artcore
    Take a look at "over the rainbow"...its full of backcycles....we are just touching on a few of the methods to reharmonize, check out John Amato's web site, and Eddie Arkin has a book on reharmonizing...Not sure what you mean by where do the minor 11ths come in, you find a minor cord where you can put the 11th in the melody...
    Ed Arkin I used to study with Ed long time ago he was my first Jazz teacher. That little description of reharmonization I gave earlier is what Eddie taught me and he have me reharm' sections of tunes. Good to see his name mentioned.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of those books once through may not be enough...

User Info Menu

Found an excellent article with many examples of reharmonization in the history of bebop.

Whispering ---> Groovin' High
    Back Home Again in Indiana ---> Donna Lee
    blues ---> Blues for Alice
    Last edited by kofblz; 09-19-2013 at 07:44 PM.

User Info Menu

sorry if this double posts

@kofblz. Thanks! that is the most helpful information on what and how to reharmonize I have ever seen. A few years back I was taking lessons and my teacher was having me do this but it didn't make any sense and just felt like an exercise. Maybe I just needed to play more to get the feeling and now it makes sense and I can apply it better rather than by rote or accident.

User Info Menu

Great ptrallan01.

Here's a question: Can you reharmonize a tritone substitution of a dominant chord into a ii - V7?

Ex. C7 -------> Gb7 ----------> Dbm7/Gb7

...assuming this is going to resolve with dominant motion, to the F. The Dbm7 feels a little odd at first but not really any more than the Gb7. Thinking of it in terms of the C7, the Dbm7 has a b9,3,b5,11. Seems alright to me, but playing that Dbm7 over a C7 takes some cajones at first.