The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

While looking for info on Barry Galbraith I found a treasure-trove of hand-written arrangements.

Barrry Galbraith Chord Melodies Memorial Site

These arrangements are freely posted with the caveat that they never be sold.

Lots of great stuff. The only downside being that after being copied so many times the resolution is poor, so some transcribing may be in order.

Bon appetite!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Barry Galbraith book of chord melodies you mentioned is on the web in standard notation. I believe it's the same material and you can read it easily. I play a lot of these and they are excellent. Search around and you can get it for free as long as you do not sell it. Back in '81 at Johnny Smith's music shop, in Colorado Springs, I asked him who were other guys writing for jazz guitarists and he said "Barry Galbraith, this is the guy" and gave me two of his instruction books. I still have them and refer to them often, along with the Ted Greene books. You're taking a magical leap in to the depths of jazz guitar with this path and you'll be standing on the shoulders of giants!

User Info Menu

[Here's the cleaned-up version of the handwritten one :] See Post #6 further down for the attachment. The attachment in this post does not work ( 0 kb file length).
    Last edited by va3ux; 12-16-2012 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    Here's the cleaned-up version of the handwritten one :
    do not work

User Info Menu

Classv,
    Thanks for the note. I'm recently coming off a hiatus of about 20 years away from serious study and am going back to my books from my professor. He used primarily the Galbraith books. Back then I didn't think much of them because I was too interested in modern stuff and thought it was too old. Now though, wow! I wish I paid more attention to these books. Ah well, at least I still have them and am now going through them with a smile.

Vaux,
    That PDF didn't post correctly. It's not opening up. Could you try again?
    Thank you.

Christopher

User Info Menu

Let's try this again. Sorry I don't know what went wrong with the first one.

User Info Menu

Christopher,

If you like the BG stuff then I highly recommend the two Mel Bay Barry Galbraith Guitar Solo books. Vol 1 and Vol 2 each have 13 arrangements, standard notation and Tab, and a CD with an excellent performance of each one of the tunes as written. All 26 of the arrangements are straight from the collection of 42 that I've posted here. My ability to read standard notation and interpret all the rhythm nuances is mediocre; being able to hear the tune played while following along with the written music is a big help to me. That's the biggest advantage to the Mel Bay books.

User Info Menu

Can someone enlighten me as to what the circled numbers represent.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Can someone enlighten me as to what the circled numbers represent.

Thanks
    A circled number indicates which string the corresponding note should be played as a way of de-ambiguifying the means of playing the arrangement. Extremely common in classical guitar repertoire.

e.g a notated middle-C with a circled "5" indicates the C on the A-string, 3rd fret. Or a first-line E with a circled "4" means the E on the D-string, 2nd fret...

User Info Menu

@jckoto3, thanks very much. I have never run across this form of notation. At least not that I can remember.

Good to know.

edh

User Info Menu

hi i have adobe reader 9, is this the right version as its not opening for me

User Info Menu

Is it downloading and auto-saving to a default directory on your HD, without opening up ? Some pdf's do that on my computer while others open up in the browser. I have no idea why

User Info Menu

fabulous pdf. enuf there to keep me busy for a long time. Great for keyboard too. Thx 4 sharing!

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Barry Galbraith arrangements. These are a legacy to a great guitarist.
    Best Regards,
    Carl Sutton

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting these, both the website and the pdf. I'm really looking forward to getting to work on some of these arrangements.

User Info Menu

Glad y'all are getting use from the PDF. It's good stuff. BG was an absolute master.