The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50
    Looking for some good solo jazz listening, preferrably new and different, above and beyond traditional standards. Improvised or composed makes no difference, just looking for some good, different solo guitar. Metheny's One Quiet Night was a good one for example. Looking for more of that. Suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ralph towner---time line

my favorite solo guitar disc of all time

User Info Menu

I have to say Tuck Andress "Reckless Precision"......maybe not "true solo jazz", but then again sometimes I can't stand the Joe Pass Solo albums, so what do I know.

User Info Menu

Ted Greene - "Solo Guitar." The only actual album he ever recorded. It blew away every conception I had about guitar playing in any style. A bit of good fortune, this website - a lot of recognition for Ted Greene and resources to explore his playing style.

User Info Menu

Maybe not what you are looking for, but these are some of my favorites:

• Johnny Smith - The Man With The Blue Guitar
    • Cal Collins - By Myself
    • Bill Harris - Bill Harris
    • Barney Kessel - By Myself
    • Barney Kessel - Solo
    • George Van Eps - Soliloquy
    • Kenny Burrell - Tenderly (Live Solo Guitar)

User Info Menu

Ron Eschete. 7-string master guitarist, exquisite, melodic player.

wiz

User Info Menu

i would have to say two of my teachers from GIT way back when...

Howard Alden and Ron Eschete

Howard was still a kid and kind of a loner, you'd hear this great guitar from the far corners of the building and go back and find Howard just sitting and playing between classes. Sometimes he'd show up in his barbershop quartet outfit if he had an afternoon gig and have his banjo or mandolin. You ought hear him play chord melody on a mandolin.

Ron Eschete is the nicest person you could ever want to meet and great teacher. Back then coffee houses were a big thing (pre-starbucks) and many had jazz singles and duo play and Ron popped up all the time at one and I would spend the night listening. I remember one night the Mr Sweep picking Frank Gamble showed up. He pulled out a Ibanez GB10 and played some great jazz with Ron, quite a night.

Two last players for my list Gene Bertoncini and Ralph Towner.
    Last edited by docbop; 07-18-2012 at 12:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    • Barney Kessel - Solo
    Is "Barney Kessel - By Myself" a single track or an album? I only ask because I really love his "Solo" album and would like to hear more of the same.

Sp

User Info Menu

Joe Pass..the virtuoso series...

Makes you either want to practice or give up trying..(but don't do that)..

It's not a race...it takes time to learn...nose to the grindstone...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

Nice idea for a thread, most of the suggestions are not really 'new' or 'modern' in a sense. Can anyone recommend some really modern solo jazz guitar? Sorry I don't have nothing to contribute

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ralph towner---time line
    my favorite solo guitar disc of all time
    Thanks for the recommendation, Mr.B. Not hip to that one. I used to have "Ana," which was cool but not enough jazz for my liking.

Like a22 said, lots of good suggestions here, but nothing very modern or very far departed from tradition. Guess I was looking for something a bit more...edgy. or stylishly atonal (I guess Metheny's One Quiet Night isn't a great example of edgy, but I enjoy how unlikely some of it sounds). I'm not really after dazzling technical feats, either, just different. The kind of thing where you say "this isn't for everybody, but it's very interesting".

Any suggestions along those lines?

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. Greetings from Nigeria

User Info Menu

I hestitate to suggest this name in a thread that already contains Pat Metheny, as last time I did, I attracted some heat, but here goes:

John Etheridge: "I Didn't Know" and "Alone Live".

Not classic jazz, but slightly different and worth a listen or two.

User Info Menu

Marin Taylor is a master of solo jazz guitar.
    I have his solo videos...only...:-(

User Info Menu

Ted Greene - Solo Guitar (1977)

Djangoles, can't use the link from my phone right now, what's the artist and song? Otherwise, I can check it later from my computer.

User Info Menu

Laura Performed By Derek Bailey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djangoles
    Laura Performed By Derek Bailey
    +1

That's more like it. I really enjoy that dissonant stuff balanced with some consonant themes, but this is certainly worth further investigation. And if there's a Derek Bailey/Metheny hybrid lovechild out there, that might just be perfect guitar music as far as I'm concerned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spalo
    Is "Barney Kessel - By Myself" a single track or an album? I only ask because I really love his "Solo" album and would like to hear more of the same.

Sp
    @ Spalo,

Although it is written in the liner notes of Barney Kessel's "Solo" album (Concord, 1981) that "this is the only unaccompanied solo recording Barney has ever made", that statement is not accurate...

While he was in Japan in 1977, BK recorded four excellent albums that were only released, I think, in Japan. Two are on the label called Trio, one is on Lob, and the other one, "By Myself", is on Victor (SPX-1042). All four of them worth looking for. (Two are trio albums -- guitar, bass, drums -- and one is trio + a female vocalist.)

Here is the track list:
    Side A:
    1. I Can't Get Started
    2. Sometimes I'm Happy
    3. Have You Met Miss Jones
    4. That Old Feeling
    5. Once I Loved
    6. Blue Moon

Side B
    1. Georgia On My Mind
    2. Yesterdays
    3. Stompin' At The Savoy
    4. Watch What Happens
    5. What A Diff'renceA Day Made
    6. Samba De Orfeu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amusiathread
    Looking for some good solo jazz listening, preferrably new and different, above and beyond traditional standards. Improvised or composed makes no difference, just looking for some good, different solo guitar. Metheny's One Quiet Night was a good one for example. Looking for more of that. Suggestions?
    Have you checked out Charlie Hunter yet? He recorded "8 string solo guitar" a few year back. Available through his webpage from what I recall.

More traditional, but very worthwhile listening to is Kenny Poole. Kenny played finger style on a regular 6 string de-tuned by a major 3rd to a low C. Some of the most tasteful solo playing that I have ever heard. Some fellow guitarists did a labor of love a year or 2 ago and produced a wonderful CD "Heritage" which is a selection of recordings from Kenny's weekly gig in a restaurant in Cincinnati. Fantastic playing by Kenny. Available through CDBaby.

Last, not least I'd like to mention Harry Leahey who played in Phil Woods band for several years. Harry made a solo record "Unaccompanied Guitar" shortly before his death in 1991. He was an outstanding solo guitar player and highly respected by his (better known) peers. This record is very hard to come by but some of the tunes have been posted on "the tube".

I hope that I was able to point you to something "new" and appealing with these 3 recommendations.

Cheers,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    • Barney Kessel - Solo
    Nice choice. Also, I'm delighted to see that there are other folks who appreciate Cal Collins's stuff. He made another solo record "Cross Country" that I like as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amusiathread
    Like a22 said, lots of good suggestions here, but nothing very modern or very far departed from tradition. Guess I was looking for something a bit more...edgy. or stylishly atonal (I guess Metheny's One Quiet Night isn't a great example of edgy, but I enjoy how unlikely some of it sounds). I'm not really after dazzling technical feats, either, just different. The kind of thing where you say "this isn't for everybody, but it's very interesting".

Any suggestions along those lines?
    Hmm, how about Bill Connors "Theme to the Gaurdian" or "Swimming with a hole in my Body"? Somewhat on the esoteric, meditative side but certainly not traditional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frogeye
    Nice choice. Also, I'm delighted to see that there are other folks who appreciate Cal Collins's stuff. He made another solo record "Cross Country" that I like as well.
    You're right. Another excellent album. Cal is certainly among my favourite guitarists.

You mentioned Kenny Poole above. Great player too. I am certain that you already know that he was in the line-up of Cal Collins's very first (Milestone) and very last (S'us Four) albums.