The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

Don't you guys have to wash dishes, cook, clean cars, go to Doctors, take care of kids, shop, nap, use the bathroom, exercise, get haircuts....???

Anything else but guitar - I'm so jealous !

Sailor

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wonder about all the comments for "classical guitar" or "classical pieces"
    Bach to me is a outstanding example for a "classical Jazzman"
    I try to think in between Villa Lobos and Cello Suites
    Does somebody here know Julian Bream?
    And for all - Jazz is a covering all what they call "styles"

I always come back - thinking - not playing
    what did those "old Blues" do, no complex harmonies
    but a lot of tone, tons of feeling and existence

bad looks or luck at my "instruments"
    stay tuned

User Info Menu

perhaps you don't "need" four hours
    sometimes I wash my dishes and I'm not in trouble having to go out with
    a dog.
    But I think, if you really want to express something on your instrument,
    you find the space or sing in your bathroom...

Singing is the first of all to me

kind regards
    and always remember: Meine "Mutter-und Schweigetochtersprache"
    is german.
    never mind
    great fun herein.

User Info Menu

okay, chord progression
    on two strings avoiding a perfect fifth
    making the thing thicker going up to four strings
    I couldn't get sense out of that.
    Freddie Green played, on one string?or two? or three?
    I think he was some of the really best rhythm players forever
    And Django Reinhardt - hm - I think he didn't worry about "strings"
    If you are a "wordsmith" then you shouldn't take care of the heat.

stay tuned

User Info Menu

does the type of guitar blend with the tune you hear beside your ears?
    I always think about "Jazz" thinking of Johann Sebastian Bach
    seems as nobody likes to define "Jazz"
    Saxophone? Piano? or bassoon? Voice?
    naturally voice is the first of all baby steps to wonder.
    Time at the "instrument"?
    Have a good time, and share your experience

lamento d'arianna
    what kind of strange thing is Johann Sebastian Bach?

never mind only trying to understand or fee something not marginal

User Info Menu

you wrote a piece called "triste"
    interesting thing, isn't it?
    I like it, btw I try to play it.
    But your version of "The shadow of your smile"
    seems a little bit strange to me.

kind regards
    Hubert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    My favorite classial piece is Pavane for a Dead Princess. Beautiful piece, poor song title.
    I love that song. I have an album where that is played by a piano roll which was allegedly made by Maurice himself. Didn't he write it as a commission for the funeral of a dead princess. Strictly speaking it should be "dead child" since the original name "infante defunte" The Deodato version used to be used here as the nightly closing theme for a TV network. I recently mentioned this to a 20-year-old and then had to spen 20 minutes explaining the concept of TV "closing down" each night!

User Info Menu

I have three versions. Two in A and one in a Christopher Parkening book in G with a dropped D tuning.(Although he never recorded this piece). Julian Bream does it in A. It's very nice.

I do a version that is a mix between the two Versions in A. I've thought about doing a jazz arraingement for solo guitar. But I really like the classical version. Perhaps one day I will do a 'chord melody' of this piece.

User Info Menu

Perhaps one day I will do a 'chord melody' of this piece.
    I think this is one of those rare songs that just doesn't need anything added, apart from anything needed to fit it on the fretboard. I had the Bream/Williams album where they did some Debussy and most of that just wouldn't have worked on 1 guitar, like those long pentatonic runs over the repeating figure in the middle section of Claire de Lune. The Arabesques would be nice but you'd need 2 guitars. I'm working on La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin by Claude. I just move it up 1 fret from Gb and it sits really well on guitar.
    Last edited by Banksia; 02-02-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

I guess I agree with you and that is why I haven't done one. I'm pretty satisfied with the version I play.

I know what you mean about key issues. I forget the the actual number but the Chopin piano piece in Cmi (the real slow one that Barry Manilow borrowed for one of his '70s AM radio hits) works much better if you move it to Aminor. You can get more open strings into it.

Hi guitarists,

The reason I ended up on this thread was that I goggled "jazz guitars with a wide neck"

The reason for this is that I play jazz on my classical guitar and Godin. In fact when I bought my Godin nylon synths SA, I took the neck off and had a wider one built by a luthier as I found the neck too narrow (I know I could've bought the other one with a wider neck but didn't)

Anyway, after doing my weekly gig on my Gibson ES175 , last night, I got so annoyed that I couldn't play as well as I do with a classical width neck.
    my fingers aren't stubby sausage fingers and I still find my fingers on left hand all scrunched up and really hard to play chord melody. Also My right hand finds it hard too.

Ive had enough, so I wanna sell it so I googled what I said above.

So does anyone know any good quality jazz guitars with a wider neck than a ES175?

Pit would be my dream to find an arch top in the vein of a 175 but with a wider neck!

CHORDWAYZE mentioned an L5. Any others?

Cheers
    Paul

User Info Menu

Just an idea, buy an inexpensive 7 string Ibanez AFJ957 for £470.99 and get it converted to 6 strings.

Ibanez AFJ957-VSB - Thomann UK

That's a thought! Thanks

User Info Menu

I have a Philips Nouveau 16 that's the same size and scale length as a 175, but a 1.75" nut and a deeper cutaway, with a single mini-humbucker mounted in the top. It took me 40 years to find the right size and requirements, going through L5s (also too narrow) and all kinds of guitars; this one is my favorite of all. However, now I'm playing exclusively 7-string, and have put this up for sale at $700, they are no longer made, but it's a beauty. I'll get it posted in the gear section this weekend: beautiful ebony fingerboard with spectacular inlay, Grover Imperial-style gold tuners, just a delicious little guitar that you should check out.

User Info Menu

I have three versions. Two in A and one in a Christopher Parkening book in G with a dropped D tuning.(Although he never recorded this piece). Julian Bream does it in A. It's very nice.

I do a version that is a mix between the two Versions in A. I've thought about doing a jazz arraingement for solo guitar. But I really like the classical version. Perhaps one day I will do a 'chord melody' of this piece.
    No hijack intended:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzguitarsussx
    Hi guitarists,

Pit would be my dream to find an arch top in the vein of a 175 but with a wider neck!

Cheers
    Paul
    An L-5 of any given year would typically have the same nut width as an ES-175 of the same year. Except for the mid-to-late '60's, most would be 1 & 11/16"

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzguitarsussx
    Hi guitarists,

The reason I ended up on this thread was that I goggled "jazz guitars with a wide neck"

The reason for this is that I play jazz on my classical guitar and Godin. In fact when I bought my Godin nylon synths SA, I took the neck off and had a wider one built by a luthier as I found the neck too narrow (I know I could've bought the other one with a wider neck but didn't)

Anyway, after doing my weekly gig on my Gibson ES175 , last night, I got so annoyed that I couldn't play as well as I do with a classical width neck.
    my fingers aren't stubby sausage fingers and I still find my fingers on left hand all scrunched up and really hard to play chord melody. Also My right hand finds it hard too.

Ive had enough, so I wanna sell it so I googled what I said above.

So does anyone know any good quality jazz guitars with a wider neck than a ES175?

Cheers
    Paul
    1 3/4" is somewhat common for a number of arch tops but may not be what you are looking for. are you interested only in steel stringed instruments? will you play finger-style or with a pick?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hanlon
    For centuries now nylon string players have played guitars with over wide necks which are thick, flat and non ergonomic for any player. Why does this tradition continue. Luthiers are still producing these in mad profusion, but why?

This type of neck does not naturally suit the hand and wrist and often results in problems for nylon fingerstyle guitarists.
    Speak for yourself. I have no problem with the standard classical neck. There are thousands of brilliant recordings made with those guitars, so those musicians didn't have a problem with it. It is easier if you position the neck at the proper playing angle.

FWIW those necks were that thick due to not having truss rods. Truss rods are now commonly used in classical guitars now with the result that smaller neck classicals are easy to find. You can easily have your choice- one of my nylon strings has a traditional neck, the other has a smaller skinny neck more like an electric.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herby
    I'm with Goofus. I love playing jazz on the nylon. I've said before that arguably the sound that a lot of jazzers are trying to get is the sound that the nylon makes naturally. I plug'er in, adjust to the room accordingly, and go... ok with maybe just a little bit of reverb.
    I have thought exactly the same. Nylon strings have the roundness and warmth that people try to get by rolling off the treble, but with better clarity.

User Info Menu

I have respect for guys who can play extended jazz chords on these wide classical guitar neck with nylon strings.
    Not that I dig really that tone however, too thin for my taste but it is purely subjective of course.
    I already feel a huge difference when I play my Seagull Acoustic with its 1.80 neck; I don't feel quite at home as when I am playing my Gibson and Epis...
    My cheap Korean Regent has the best neck I have ever played, unfortunate in a sense as it makes many other guitars I tried even expensive Gibson not as comfortable.
    The good thing however with wide neck is that you have to really position your hand properly and can't hardly get away with sloppy technique.