The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I got Chuck Sher's permission to post a YouTube video using, "Here's That Rainy Day" from his book, "The New Real Book Volume One." I hope you find it helpful.

"Here's That Rainy Day" Chord/Melody:
    Last edited by Susan Palmer; 08-19-2010 at 10:50 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice job--very clear. I agree that a chord melody is best initially learned by playing the chords on the beat where they fall and playing the melody as it is given. I also like to harmonize individual notes in 3rds and as octaves.

User Info Menu

Hi Susan,
    I posted a comment on your video on youtube.
    After reading it, I realized it might sound like I was criticizing it. I wasn't.
    I would really like to hear you play chord melody on the tune. I'm working on this one myself and would like to hear some ideas I could steal, er... I mean learn!
    Thanks for posting this.
    Cheers,
    Ron

User Info Menu

Hey Ron, no worries, I took it as a compliment. There are a lot of other great teachers who can help you learn some more complicated ideas. I wanted to keep this lesson simple because it's for my first year beginning guitar students at Seattle University.

In general, I feel like there are more teachers out there who teach more advanced concepts than teachers who teach the fundamentals of music like I do. I enjoy sending my students to those teachers once I know that they know the basics backwards, forwards, upside-down, etc.

Anyone want to add a reply to this post with some more advanced lessons/ideas on this tune? It'd be neat to have some "variations on a theme" for everyone to take a look at.

User Info Menu

Thanks Susan,
    Great idea. I'd love to hear different takes on this tune... or any other.
    There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.
    Maybe, one day, I'll get up the nerve to post some videos of my take on it!

Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

Thumbs up on the video.

Suggestion: to make it more self-contained, I wonder how hard it would be to split the screen horizontally and display the melody and changes.

User Info Menu

That's a great idea. I don't think that would be technically challenging, but I don't have permission to show the music on the screen since I am not the publisher of "The New Real Book."

I'm guessing there are some lessons out there you can buy that could do that. Does anyone know?

User Info Menu

Susan, well done. If you are targeting someone starting out on CM, then I would say great job. Glad to have you around here. I am sure your schedule gets a bit more hectic once school commences, but glad to have your contributions.

User Info Menu

Hi Susan,
    excellent lesson! By keeping it simple you spoke volumes.

User Info Menu

Nice job on your videos, Susan. I am curious. Since your home town is Seattle, Have you ever met or workded with Don Mock? He was a good friend to me many years ago at G.I.T. in Los Angeles. If yes, say hello to him for me.

best wishes
    Howard Brown (wiz)

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for checking out the video, and for the positive feedback. I really appreciate it.

Hey Howard, I have met Don Mock and checked out his stuff, but I am not close with him. Everyone sure loves him out here. I should try to hang with him again sometime. Next time I see him, I'll be sure to pass along a hello for you.

User Info Menu

I've been playing "Here's That Rainy Day" as a chord solo for over 40 years. It was one of the solo arrangements I played when I auditioned with Bill Leavitt for a teaching position at Berklee, in 1972. I almost always play this tune as the first number on my solo gigs.
    Here's a link to a recording from one of my gigs. (I just sat my Zoom H2 digital recorder on top of the amp.) I usually start with just noodling around on the changes, while I get used to the room sound, and adjust my volume and tone. I play the head, improvise a little, then play the head out.
    http://frogstoryrecords.com/

I have a comping study and a scale study for this tune on the Guitar Lessons page of my web site.

I hope you find these helpful.

Steve

User Info Menu

Hey Steve, very nice. Thanks so much for sharing. I went to your web page and downloaded the comping and scale study. Very helpful for me at this stage in my learning efforts. Again, thanks.

User Info Menu

Excellent lesson! I've been playing music for a long time but have just started with chord/melody playing recently. This lesson was quite informative as far as how to approach chord/melody arrangements.

User Info Menu

Great stuff, Susan. Simple, Eloquent, and makes total sense. I've enjoyed other videos of yours and learned a lot from them. I hope we will get too see you around her more often. Welcome to the forum.

User Info Menu

Hey Steve,

That was really cool, thanks so much for sharing that. I may message you about your lessons, that seems like a good way to generate a little income for all your work.

What a swell lesson.

User Info Menu

hi susan. nice job on the video.
    i am interested in your ulnar nerve injury. i occassionaly get numbness in the lh pinky and ring fingers...it was at first thought to be due to a bulging disc, but my latest neurosurgeon thinks it is in the elbow because a of a whack i took about 6 or 7 years ago...now scar tissue. if i might ask, what are your symptoms? cause?

User Info Menu

Hydra,

I've had to have surgury on my wrist and elbow to fix ulnar nerve compression. For me the occassional numbness turned into constant numbness and discomfort that began to keep me awake at night. When the surgury was done the surgon (who works on many professional musicians) stated that the nerve bundles were white in the constricted areas and they should be pink like the rest of the areas. He informed me that the longer it remained constricted, the less likely it would be able to heal and be a perminant injury. See a good surgon who has a good reputation for working on musicians and athletes.

Two years after the surgury and I'm playing again and don't have problems anymore as long as I don't try to play really fast for hours. Good luck.

User Info Menu

wow, maybe it's because you're a teacher, but you're really good in front of the camera. looking comfy in front of a camera is definitely not the easiest thing to do! your explanations are concise and easy to understand.

User Info Menu

Hydra, that sounds rough. I have days where I cannot move my first, second and thumb; and my pinky and ring finger go numb. Before this happens, I sometimes get a pain on the inside part of my elbow. I have many more good days than bad days now (It's been about 8 years since it started) and I am so happy that I am still able to stay connected to music through teaching.

I have seen almost all the doctors in Seattle and one in Portland, I have tried all kinds of alternative medicines, massage, etc. and have not found relief in anything except time, exercise, good food, regular sleep and lots of love from friends. Maybe someday if I'm ever making a lot of money I'll try some more doctors, tests, and therapies. It's just so hard on my soul as well as my pocket book.

User Info Menu

Susan, I truly hope you do get better and make tons of money!
    When you do, I hope you continue to teach. You do it well!
    Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ron

User Info Menu

Nice simple arrangement. The ability to make concepts simple and get people to actually be able to play songs from beginning to end is a highly underrated skill in my opinion. I might be biased since I also create simple arrangements using basic jazz chord voicings which is a rarity if you see the complexity of what's out there.

I've also got issues with my left hand thumb area, really tight and starts to hurt when playing chord melodies (lots of gripping). It's been bothersome for months if not years especially with jazz chord melody. May be getting an xray to see if it's arthritis, hopefully not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wkriski
    I've also got issues with my left hand thumb area, really tight and starts to hurt when playing chord melodies (lots of gripping). It's been bothersome for months if not years especially with jazz chord melody. May be getting an xray to see if it's arthritis, hopefully not.
    Try and use gravity and the weight of your arm more.
    Make a loose fist with your left hand and extend one finger.
    Place that finger on a note and feel the weight of your arm.
    Try it with each finger and also combinations of fingers while maintaing the fist.
    Then see if you can remember the feeling when playing slowly and gradually integrate it into playing.
    How much can be played without the thumb?

It is difficult to eliminate the use of thumb counter pressure in all situations (like barre chords) but it is simple enough to reduce it.

User Info Menu

Thanks I'll give it a try. Usually the thumb counteracts the pressure from the fingers which is horizontal to the floor, not vertical no? But I do tend to lift my arm/shoulder especially when the chair has arms And yes avoiding bar chords helps.