The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I guess that the title says it all.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ken Parker has a long continuing series called Archtoppery on YouTube, and his latest included that clip at the end of it. He explained his thinking and the history of that guitar, which he built solely as an experiment to learn about how to deal with nylon strings. It has undergone multiple redesigns since he first built it decades ago. He still isn't a fan, and says he knows little about nylon string guitars. He's an interesting craftsman, and seems to be very humble and willing to learn. I've learned a lot by watching his videos. Anyone interested in learning about how archtop guitars work should spend some time with Archtoppery. Much of it involves making tools and may not be of interest to all, but it's not hard to skip them if desired.

User Info Menu

Might be the best sounding nylon string archtop I've ever heard...but I still think my $700 Yamaha classical beats it in tone anyday.

But I love that Parker is always trying things. He's a true genius of the guitar.

This guy's a lovely player, and demonstrates what the instrument sounds like very well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Might be the best sounding nylon string archtop I've ever heard...but I still think my $700 Yamaha classical beats it in tone anyday.

But I love that Parker is always trying things. He's a true genius of the guitar.

This guy's a lovely player, and demonstrates what the instrument sounds like very well.
    Whoa now,you just made a lot of people's heads explode saying you like your Yamaha better.I have a Sango classical guitar from the early 70's.These were built supposedly by Aria luthiers.It cost $90 and has a warm sound and projects very well.Everyone who has played it are surprised by how great it sounds.Over the years i acquired other expensive classical guitars but i kept going back to that Sango.

User Info Menu

Think I may like this one even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOvIYSIH2_k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Or maybe it's one of the very few that has been recorded properly? Sadly I'm not aware of any recordings at all of the "classical archtops" Alan Carruth has built. Those are probably the only ones where a comparison with classical guitars is appropriate because he intended to make them sound like classical guitars.

The bridge on that Parker seems very big (= heavy) for a nylon stringer to me.

The 2nd recording above sounds like there might be a piezo pickup in the mix.

Here's another one that has been recorded properly:
    Hahl Guitars - Supreme Nylon String

User Info Menu

The Parker Nylonstring sounds a lot less strident than his models made for steelstrings and I have to give it to the player : his left hand technique is pretty good ! No excessive finger-noises, very accurate fingering. Since the tone depends so much on one's right hand - where we strike the string, how much force we use, the angle of our pick or nail or fingertip and the tension/action of the string - a final verdict is impossible. The best outcome could only be a guitar with a unique and singular character, clearly different from a trad. classical guitar and just as different from a "normal" acoustic archtop.
    The Hahl model sounds interesting and I might even have the chance to see and play one in person later this year.

An arched top requires more energy to resonate than a flat top where the strings are directly anchored to the top and this lets the flat top guitar (steel - or nylonstring) react so delicately and immediately to the touch of the player, one of the prime aspects of a finely built guitar. To be honest : I'd much rather have an archtop that sounds warm and fat with steel strings , with good sustain and ample volume on tap than a nylon-stringed archtop that has less volume, less sustain and a reduced responsiveness. My personal nylonstring guitar (a HANIKA custom-shop model with a lattice-braced top) is responsive, has a strong fundamental with balanced overtones, a very comfortable neck size and shape and ticks all the boxes for me as a true cross-over guitar. The price was attractive too , compared to a custom-made guitar from an individual luthier.....

User Info Menu

I'd be very curious to know your experiences with the Hahl!

An arched top requires more energy to resonate than a flat top where the strings are directly anchored to the top
    I don't think that the energy requirements of the top are dependent on how the strings are anchored but it's possible that the demands made on the player are I do believe that the sound character changes the two approaches, and that's also why Daniel Slaman offered a choice in his nylon Domes.

I checked in with Isaac of Cranmer guitars about the nylon-string instrument he's been working on. Turns out it's being strung up the first time today, so pretty soon I'll have some soundbites (and will know if I regret not having commissioned one, last year).

Hanika do make some nice sounding instruments, with a wide range of interesting wood choices for the B&S too. Judging from recordings I might even be perfectly happy with some of their traditionally-braced models (and that's coming from someone who doesn't really dig the traditional/Spanish CG sound). From what I understand you can order basically any of their models as a custom build with your choice of nutwidth and fretboard radius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I'd be very curious to know your experiences with the Hahl!

I don't think that the energy requirements of the top are dependent on how the strings are anchored but it's possible that the demands made on the player are I do believe that the sound character changes the two approaches, and that's also why Daniel Slaman offered a choice in his nylon Domes.

I checked in with Isaac of Cranmer guitars about the nylon-string instrument he's been working on. Turns out it's being strung up the first time today, so pretty soon I'll have some soundbites (and will know if I regret not having commissioned one, last year).

Hanika do make some nice sounding instruments, with a wide range of interesting wood choices for the B&S too. Judging from recordings I might even be perfectly happy with some of their traditionally-braced models (and that's coming from someone who doesn't really dig the traditional/Spanish CG sound). From what I understand you can order basically any of their models as a custom build with your choice of nutwidth and fretboard radius.
    you‘re right re the choices Hanika offers. I found this particular one at the wonderful SICCAS GUITARS store in Karlsruhe where the selection of high end classical guitars is astounding ! Mine was a one-off model ordered by the store.

User Info Menu

Parker's bridges are generally hollow. He removes most of the wood inside it to make it as light as possible, since he thinks heavy bridges affect vibration. A bridge that high that he made would almost certainly be far lighter than a standard adjustable archtop bridge. He has a video in his series that deals with bridges. AFAIK there is no pickup on the nylon-string archtop. If there were, I would have expected Parker to mention it. He's usually exhaustively thorough on these things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    you‘re right re the choices Hanika offers. I found this particular one at the wonderful SICCAS GUITARS store in Karlsruhe where the selection of high end classical guitars is astounding ! Mine was a one-off model ordered by the store.
    Having listen to many classical guitars on youtube, I agree hanikas sound really good. Great tone and sustain. Kind of a pain to get them here. That store in philly carries them but they add a hefty premium.