The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Hi All,

I'm building my second archtop. Its a 17" archtop.
    This one is a non-cutaway guitar.
    The first one i've built had braces measuring at ~15mm at the cross section, and tapering down to around 3-4mm at the edges.
    The first guitar has a sound that is a bit 'chocked' for lack of better words. The bass response is ok, and the overall sound is a bit mid-rangy.
    In this instrument, I wanted to a more bass rich and overall more fuller acoustic sound. Also, I've went with a design based a bit on the Monteleone Radio Flyer, which means large f-holes.
    So the top is a spruce, thickness is based on Benedetto's book specs for x-brace tops - so 1/4" in the center, to 3/16" and then 1/8" at the edges.

The problem is this, when 'playing' with shaping the braces, I've removed too much material, and now I'm left with an x-brace measuring at around 10-11mm at the center, tapering down to 3-4mm at the edges.

I'm afraid that small braces and the large f-hole cuts will comprise the structure of the top.

What can I do to make sure the whole thing does not cave in under pressure? Should I reinforce with another brace? if so, where?

Maybe strip the braces and try again ()? reinforce the existing braces?

I'm adding a picture to show the progress. Will appreciate any help, thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images Minimal X braces size and potential danger-img_5696-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elmekiesisrael View Post
    Hi All,

I'm building my second archtop. Its a 17" archtop.
    This one is a non-cutaway guitar.
    The first one i've built had braces measuring at ~15mm at the cross section, and tapering down to around 3-4mm at the edges.
    The first guitar has a sound that is a bit 'chocked' for lack of better words. The bass response is ok, and the overall sound is a bit mid-rangy.
    In this instrument, I wanted to a more bass rich and overall more fuller acoustic sound. Also, I've went with a design based a bit on the Monteleone Radio Flyer, which means large f-holes.
    So the top is a spruce, thickness is based on Benedetto's book specs for x-brace tops - so 1/4" in the center, to 3/16" and then 1/8" at the edges.

The problem is this, when 'playing' with shaping the braces, I've removed too much material, and now I'm left with an x-brace measuring at around 10-11mm at the center, tapering down to 3-4mm at the edges.

I'm afraid that small braces and the large f-hole cuts will comprise the structure of the top.

What can I do to make sure the whole thing does not cave in under pressure? Should I reinforce with another brace? if so, where?

Maybe strip the braces and try again ()? reinforce the existing braces?

I'm adding a picture to show the progress. Will appreciate any help, thank you!
    I am going to go off the wall and tell you to add two braces going across the top and bottom of the X brace. They will not touch the X brace but sit in between at about 1/3 of the way inside. This will give it good stability and carve the braces thick, then tap tune and further carve and voice the top. Here was a Master at this Bill Hollenbeck explaining.