The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A few years ago I got this amp super cheap at a flea market, but liked it so much, that it soon became my main amp.
    1940s style Cab for modern amp-img_20240322_231341-jpg

It's an older Ibanez Troubadour T20, and I actually just wanted to try an acoustic amp with my archtops, and thought with the xlr input it might come in handy for different occassions. Turns out it sounds phenomenal with the Jr. Barnyard in front of it, so I started gigging with it a lot.
    As this is my poor mans Gibson EH 150, I always thought it would be cool, to give that amp more of a vintage look, as we're really into 1940s aesthetics with my Band.
    After the tolex started to become loose, I finally decided to strip it, and get started. I made some modifications to the mdf-cabinet, like adding the rounded shoulders I find quite typical for amps of that time, and covering the parts I didn't replace with plywood,so I could stain it. I really didn't want to cover it, as I liked the Look of the epiphone Electar amps so much.

This is what it looked like after staining:
    1940s style Cab for modern amp-img_20240322_234019-jpg

And after a couple of coats of Schellac this is the final result:
    1940s style Cab for modern amp-img_20240322_231109-jpg

I'm totally happy with how this turned out!

Paul

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool!
    I didn't take quite the same path, but do have a retro cab setup with modern amplification - mine looks like a '48 Dual Professional, but has a modern tube preamp and teeny Class D power amp hidden on the floor of the cab, driving it all, heh. Sounds pretty damned good.

Attached Images Attached Images 1940s style Cab for modern amp-dualprocab_2490-jpg 1940s style Cab for modern amp-dualprocab-back_3109-lo-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-27-2024 at 05:01 AM.

Sure looks pretty hammertone!
    Did you build that cab yourself? If so: great work! I bet it sounds beautiful!

User Info Menu

I did not build it - its origins are shrouded in mystery, but it was definitely built by a pro.