The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently received my custom Mr Wu guitar. Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. It looks and plays nicely. However, when I was inspecting the inside, I noticed that it was x-braced rather than parallel as I requested. The reason I requested parallel bracing was because I wanted a pickup and was concerned about fitting a neck pickup in the space above the bracing. Parallel bracing was also recommended by Mr Wu presumably for the same reason. Sure enough, when cutting the top for the pickup, it seems that he cut through the treble side upper brace (see pics that are upside down for some reason).

My questions:
    1) Is this something to be concerned about? I'm happy with the look, sound and playability but is this bad for the long term health of the guitar? Will it implode in a few years?
    2) If this is worth worrying about what are my options short of sending it back for a redo or refund?

Your suggestions and insights are appreciated in advance!

Dan

X-bracing question-img_9059-jpgX-bracing question-img_9060-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dan,

I would like to see pics of the neck block area to see how stout it is, and also how the top is carved on the underside in this area. From what I see in the pics provided it looks like the top is about 3/8" thick at the back of the pickup route. This should help provide good support for the structure. You're likely going to enjoy this instrument without issue.
    It looks to be a clean build with the exception of the end of the brace which probably happened when the router grabbed the end of the quartered grain. You could spend some time carefully shaping the rough edges . I would apply a small amount of glue along the break to prevent future unwanted rattles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    Dan,

I would like to see pics of the neck block area to see how stout it is, and also how the top is carved on the underside in this area. From what I see in the pics provided it looks like the top is about 3/8" thick at the back of the pickup route. This should help provide good support for the structure. You're likely going to enjoy this instrument without issue.
    It looks to be a clean build with the exception of the end of the brace which probably happened when the router grabbed the end of the quartered grain. You could spend some time carefully shaping the rough edges . I would apply a small amount of glue along the break to prevent future unwanted rattles.
    Thank you for the reply GC. Please see the pics for a look at the neck block area. I think this also shows how the top is carved in that area but I can take more pics if this doesn't show what you were looking for.

X-bracing question-img_9062-jpgX-bracing question-img_9063-jpg

User Info Menu

Dan,
    Thanks for the extra pics. It looks like the area between the neck block and the pickup route was was left pretty stout. From the block back towards the route it was left flat and not carved for a couple inches before ramping towards the pickup hole. It should be plenty strong.

User Info Menu

OK that makes me feel better.

Thanks again