The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am not a guitar builder, but I am a tinkerer. I'm in the process of making a wooden (wenge) pickguard for an acoustic archtop. (1st pic below) I plan to use the system with the little block that screws into the side of the neck. (like the 2nd pic) What I need to know is, what is a good glue to strongly attach the little block to the back of the guard? I don't have any fancy instrument building glues. Superglue, Gorilla, Elmer's, epoxy? Thanx all.

pickguard mounting question-pg1-jpg
    pickguard mounting question-pg2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I just made a new pickguard for a friend's Andersen and glued my little mounting block on with medium CA. I didn't want to notch the original p/g to mount a pickup in case my friend wants to go back so I made him a new one.

The Anderson had a wide enough neck block that I could screw the pickguard down into it rather than into the side of the neck (that was how the original p/g was done so I just followed)
    pickguard mounting question-20240221_130217-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller
    I just made a new pickguard for a friend's Andersen and glued my little mounting block on with medium CA.
    Thanks, what is "medium" CA? The guitar came without a guard, so I obviously don't want to drill into the top. I have had several guitars with the little block into the side of the neck, so I am familiar with that.

CA is cyanoacrylate, aka superglue. It comes in various viscosities, medium is what you usually find at hardware stores. Drilling into the neck is fine, its just bit tricky. Protect your top from the drill chuck