The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These are photos of a guitar body available for purchase. Does the location or size of that knot in the neck pocket present a structural problem?

Cosmetic or Concerning-96a9f803-f3f7-4d38-9731-0cd2556d424c-jpegCosmetic or Concerning-61feeb24-8511-4b69-aed7-2d5d81acb169-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be ok with that...especially if it was going to be a bolt on neck...

User Info Menu

I am not a luthier, but I’d pass.

User Info Menu

Worse place for a knot, anywhere else would be ok.

Firewood.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't want anything to do with that. The wood around that knot will be weaker.

User Info Menu

Hard no.

Thanks all. Thought that was the case. I didn't feel it even came close to being stamped a second.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srs
    Thanks all. Thought that was the case. I didn't feel it even came close to being stamped a second.

Just think - some guy got paid to set up that piece of wood for routing etc., and could've placed that knot anywhere on that body.

Or, he didn't know any better, and / or didn't give a rip.

User Info Menu

The knot is bad, that check is way worse. See that crack down the middle of the pocket? That's where the wood dried, split and is beginning a separation that will in all likelihood continue a serious way through the body. It's already rendered the body unusable and will result in a body that irreparable in any way.
    Highest stress point on the body of that guitar. It's a compendium of nightmare disasters. It does have some value though: If you were running a DIY guitar building school, that's a textbook example of what to avoid.