The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Those of you who use digital calipers. Cheap vs expensive? The more expensive the more accurate the measurement?

Now and again I use mine mostly to measure a string gauge--and I will get different readings on that particular string. (New battery in the digital caliper). Do you know if a string gauge is accurate the full length of the string when made?

What make of digital caliper do you use and get a constant reading?--not only on strings but for other uses.

Many thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The only one I personally have that I trust to accurately measure string gauges is a Mitutoyo. Their calipers start around $120 US and go up from there. The $10-30 ones are fine for measuring things like nut widths, but they don’t have the precision or accuracy for measuring string diameters in my experience. They can also be a bit flimsy, but if you don’t use them a lot and take care of them they can still last a good while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I retired after 39 years in calibration and repair of all sorts of electronic and mechanical equipment.

In our shop we all agreed digital gives you the illusion of accuracy.

My personal choice is Starrett micrometer and dial caliper.

With mechanical, as long as zero checks out you are good to go.

User Info Menu

One thing to note about Mitutoyo is that unless you know what you are looking for and can verify it firsthand, only buy from a recognized official dealer. Their products heavily counterfeited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I use a micrometer and they are far more accurate than the digital ones. This it pretty close. Imperial Vernier Micrometer - Lee Valley Tools. Whenever I see someone measuring and showing the neck width of guitar with a digital gauge I know it will not be quite correct. It is not off much but nothing like knowing for sure.

User Info Menu

One more vote for Mitutoyo, as it is the brand used in all companies I have been working for.
    I confirm that digital display is only the illusion of accuracy
    Before talking about caliper accuracy, we should talk about tha way YOU make the measurement. It looks easy, but it is not so much to get accurate measurements, depending on how you hold the parts, the caliper etc...
    Not such a big problem if you want to check string gauge, just make sure zero setting is OK

As for accuracy in string gauge when manufacturing, they for sure need some tolerances when producing. I don't know in what range it can be (if anyone can help ?) but I'd be surprised if string diameter changes that much on a single string.

User Info Menu

As a former gage dude in the auto industry, I agree with the above. Mitutoyo is the industry standard. If you are just measuring nut width, neck thickness and such, accuracy to 0.01" is probably good. Stings would be another matter. Then you would be talking 0.0001". But if you can find one accurate to +/- 0.001" you would be good to go. The if you were measuring in some sort of industrial or business setting, then you would want to go to the traceable to nist path.
    Last edited by Brian859; 01-23-2024 at 05:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I use a micrometer and they are far more accurate than the digital ones. This it pretty close. Imperial Vernier Micrometer - Lee Valley Tools.
    Seems like a good deal!

I agree you need a micrometer if you want to measure things like how much thinner does this string get when tuned to pitch. But in my experience the commonly available digital slide calipers suffice for distinguishing string gauges or determining what size nut file is best for a given string. Esp. if you're savvy enough to take a few measurement to account for device and handling inaccuracies.

User Info Menu

I love my Wixey digital calipers. They are solid quality and readout has both decimal and fractions for $50.

Wixey.com - Digital Calipers with Fractions - Product Info

Thanks everybody for your info.

User Info Menu

In addition to measuring a few guitar things, I handload ammunition for competitive match shooting. I have two measuring instruments. For general purposes a digital or traditional caliper works well. When you really want to be precise and "know for sure" a micrometer is needed. I have an old Starette but Mitutoyo is also a good choice.

Kind of an old saying with us gun nuts....don't spend a fortune on calipers. To often they suffer a fall and never recover. Replacement cost always enters the picture. People tend to be more careful with their micrometers and don't expose them to "hazards", due to their elevated cost.

Tom