The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Is the Orion an archtop?
    Yep.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Yep.
    Thanks. I had one a while ago but couldn’t remember.

AKA

User Info Menu

1981 smaller body Jacques Favino.Oval Hole Archtops-20210630_211902-jpgOval Hole Archtops-20210630_212326-jpgOval Hole Archtops-20210630_212358-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Perhaps the only guitar that splits the difference between the top-notch boutique builds and antique low-line Regals & Troubadors: The Tacoma AJ22 / AJ28.
    If it sounds as good as it looks when new it'd make a perfect "beater"!

The Eastman shown earlier would probably qualify as a diff. splitter too for many on here, no? (Personally I think their current prices are too close to what several European builders ask.)

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    1981 smaller body Jacques Favino.
    Do Selmer/Maccaferris have an arch to their top in addition to the pliage ("fold") just after the saddle?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett

Are you asking for photos of oval archtops? If so, here’s one I made about five years ago. I donated it to a school just before the pandemic. Honestly one of the nicest archtops I ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I absolutely love that! Would the school sell it?

User Info Menu

Oval Hole Archtops-1966-epiphone-howard-roberts-1-jpg

1966 Epiphone Howard Roberts Custom that I bought from John Bernunzio's.

User Info Menu

One of my Forshage Archtops

Oval Hole Archtops-forshage-front-2-jpg

Oval Hole Archtops-forshage-back-2-jpg

Oval Hole Archtops-forshage-tailpiece2-jpg

Oval Hole Archtops-forshage-fingerboard-jpg

User Info Menu

1907 Gibson Style O Grand Auditorium 18"

Oval Hole Archtops-20231124_142441-jpg

User Info Menu

I own two fairly unique acoustic oval hole archtops (one is actually a round hole).

This is a guitar that Bill Comins built for me in 2015-2016 that he called the “Zelig” because it bridged the gap between an archtop and a flattop. It is a 16” guitar that has a carved Carpathian Spruce top with a fairly flat arch to it and hybrid x-bracing. It also has deeper tapered depth rims with a ladder braced Honduran Mahogany back and sides.

This is a 2007 16” Hybrid Archtop built by California luthier Mark Blanchard back in 2007. It is hybrid, x-braced Italian Spruce top with slightly deeper rims (3-7/16”) and a carved Bigleaf Maple back and sides.

User Info Menu

Any sound clips??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    Any sound clips??
    Here is a short video that Bill had made by his neighbor and friend Jimmy Bruno when the guitar was new.

Here is another demo when it was new wIth local PA fingerstyle guitarist Tim Farrell

User Info Menu

Gibson Super 400 Western Sky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here’s a very unique guitar: Erich Solomon’s attempt to emulate a Brahms guitar: fully acoustic 8 string archtop, Walnut back and sides, fanned frets. Erich’s arch-tops have a flat top quality, as well. Also has a Barbera under saddle pickup
    Attached Images Attached Images Oval Hole Archtops-img_3649-jpg 

User Info Menu

Whoa!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

Gibson Super 400 Western Sky

I saw one of those at a Midwest guitar show ( Chicago ? ) some years ago, and was completely floored.....I'd never heard of one, never seen one, etc etc........If it hadn't been 18 inches - -
    Am I correct - -those had on-board electronics ??

But - - without a doubt, that fingerboard / neck / playability was incredible !

I saw that guitar in my sleep for at least a week after that !! : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I saw one of those at a Midwest guitar show ( Chicago ? ) some years ago, and was completely floored.....I'd never heard of one, never seen one, etc etc........If it hadn't been 18 inches - -
    Am I correct - -those had on-board electronics ??

But - - without a doubt, that fingerboard / neck / playability was incredible !

I saw that guitar in my sleep for at least a week after that !! : )
    Yes, they came with a built in piezo run through an endpin jack. There are said to be six in existence, four bursts and two white. As a result it’s unusual to see one come up for sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Yes, they came with a built in piezo run through an endpin jack. There are said to be six in existence, four bursts and two white. As a result it’s unusual to see one come up for sale.

I remember trying it out a little at first, followed by two return trips to that dealer's booth that same day.
    After the first ' test drive ', I handed it to my pro pal who was with me and said: " Try this - - -and tell me that isn't the best fingerboard you ever played ! " ........

I'm guessing Gibson used a shallow-er profile neck joint knowing it'd never have a h/b or floater, and didn't need that clearance.....The action was as good as it gets, and I even dug in a few times and it was fine .......

I still have to wonder what I'd do if I ever saw one again for sale - 18 inches or not.

: )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I remember trying it out a little at first, followed by two return trips to that dealer's booth that same day.
    After the first ' test drive ', I handed it to my pro pal who was with me and said: " Try this - - -and tell me that isn't the best fingerboard you ever played ! " ........

I'm guessing Gibson used a shallow-er profile neck joint knowing it'd never have a h/b or floater, and didn't need that clearance.....The action was as good as it gets, and I even dug in a few times and it was fine .......

I still have to wonder what I'd do if I ever saw one again for sale - 18 inches or not.

: )
    You can drive this one as hard as you like and it can handle it.

User Info Menu

Oval Hole Archtops-20210123_212420-1-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Oval Hole Archtops-20210123_212420-jpg 

User Info Menu

More Western Sky:

Oval Hole Archtops-western-sky_43-jpg

Oval Hole Archtops-western-sky_44-jpg

Danny W.