The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

The name John Monteleone certainly needs no introduction. His guitars are masterpiece exhibits of sonic Art at the highest level.

John and I have been friends for well over 30 years - and Ive had my hands on a good amount of his instruments. Yesterday , I spent the afternoon catching up and playing a few of his recent builds - which included a Radio Flyer, a 16” inch Eclipse and a one-off chambered Mahogany electric.

John recently completed his Train series of guitars and about to embark on a new series. His latest endeavor will be a series of guitars called the “ Big Cats”.

Since we often use the term Tiger stipe to refer to flame maple , it’s kind of befitting for this new series to embrace a greater cross section of the Cat family. The guitars will be named accordingly- Lion , Tiger, Panther etc.

Here a few pics of my visit.

As usual it was a fun day. John is currently building guitars for his shop - and some are available for those who have an interest in acquiring one. These guitars are not advertised - and mainly for those who want to visit and say hello - and quite possibly fall in love with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 12-02-2023 at 11:44 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    The name John Monteleone certainly needs no introduction. His guitars are masterpiece exhibits of sonic Art at the highest level.

John and I have been friends for well over 30 years - and Ive had my hands on a good amount of his instruments. Yesterday , I spent the afternoon catching up and playing a few of his recent builds - which included a Radio Flyer, a 16” inch Eclipse and a one-off chambered Mahogany electric.

John recently completed his Train series of guitars and about to embark on a new series. His latest endeavor will be a series of guitars called the “ Big Cats”.

Since we often use the term Tiger stipe to refer to flame maple , it’s kind of befitting for this new series to embrace a greater cross section of the Cat family. The guitars will be named accordingly- Lion , Tiger, Panther etc.

Here a few pics of my visit.

As usual it was a fun day. John is currently building guitars for his shop - and some are available for those who have an interest in acquiring one. These guitars are not advertised - and mainly for those who want to visit and say hello - and quite possibly fall in love with one.

Looks like a fabulous day, Steve!

User Info Menu

What a nice time and a seeing old friends. John M is one of the living legends in all guitar making aspects. I would love to have one of his Radio City guitars but until my salary triples, I am not probably going to have one.

I think that Congress/US Postal should authorize a United States Special addition postage stamp in honor of 2 living legends entitle........Archtop Guitars with a Monteleone and Campellone Guitar on the Stamp.

I am not joking can be get a petition up on the forum after all congress cannot get anything else done and this is not controversial at all.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Looks like a fabulous day, Steve!
    Michael - it was fun for sure. John showed me a bunch of videos with Johnathan Stout and a friend playing John’s instruments. They visited John not long ago and played all day.

John M will be inviting Johnathan to perform in an upcoming festival for 2024. I’ll keep everyone posted.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    What a nice time and a seeing old friends. John M is one of the living legends in all guitar making aspects. I would love to have one of his Radio City guitars but until my salary triples, I am not probably going to have one.

I think that Congress/US Postal should authorize a United States Special addition postage stamp in honor of 2 living legends entitle........Archtop Guitars with a Monteleone and Campellone Guitar on the Stamp.

I am not joking can be get a petition up on the forum after all congress cannot get anything else done and this is not controversial at all.
    Mark - John certainly has established himself as a living legend. His design sense and proportions are extraordinary. His flexible recurve , graceful arch - and beautifully sculptured bracing creates a very clear and powerful note quality - which is very impressive.

Yes- they are expensive, but can be played and enjoyed by anyone. Just visit Rudy’s Music at the Scarsdale location - he always has a few of John’s guitars.

As for the postage stamp idea - it certainly would celebrate our great artists. But as you noted, getting congressional traction is not likely.

User Info Menu

Wow, I want the little one! 15"?

User Info Menu

QA
    I’m sorry bud, I just saw this.
    I was hoping that you were going to say, And this is me, playing the Rain Song, on my new Radio Flyer..
    You should get one bud. Why not? You have the best of the best. You should have a Monteleone!
    Thanks for the great post.
    You are Looking good QA!
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    QA
    I’m sorry bud, I just saw this.
    I was hoping that you were going to say, And this is me, playing the Rain Song, on my new Radio Flyer..
    You should get one bud. Why not? You have the best of the best. You should have a Monteleone!
    Thanks for the great post.
    You are Looking good QA!
    Joe D
    Joe,
    Thanks bud! It’s always fun seeing what John ‘s been building . Whenever your in town swing by and I’ll take you over to John’s. You’ll play some incredible instruments.

User Info Menu

QA

I thought JM had retired....Glad he's still building instruments....

Maybe next time you visit him, tell him hello from all of us !

Then, I have always wondered - - given the prices his instruments command, how in the world does he arrange delivery ? Does he or will he actually pack and ship his instruments ?

Curious and thanks.

User Info Menu

Off topic but not, I wonder how many of us settle on a G chord when having our picture taken with a guitar? I'm pretty sure I do.

John's work is true functional art. And what function they have!

User Info Menu

G? His first finger looks flat across the 5th to 3rd strings, giving GBEADG, which could be G6/4 or CMaj9/6, or if the root is Eb or Fbb - context is everything!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Off topic but not, I wonder how many of us settle on a G chord when having our picture taken with a guitar? I'm pretty sure I do.

John's work is true functional art. And what function they have!
    CMaj9 for me

User Info Menu

I am usually not super into asymmetrical headstocks but man do I love this shape of his

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    I am usually not super into asymmetrical headstocks but man do I love this shape of his
    ah yes, John's famous Gumby headstock

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    QA

I thought JM had retired....Glad he's still building instruments....

Maybe next time you visit him, tell him hello from all of us !

Then, I have always wondered - - given the prices his instruments command, how in the world does he arrange delivery ? Does he or will he actually pack and ship his instruments ?

Curious and thanks.
    Dennis,
    John is still actively building. With the exception of some occasional custom builds - most instruments are built for his shop. Folks can then visit , see if they like anything and buy one. He usually ship his guitars in a custom style Calton case.

If any of you guys want to visit , just give him a call. He knows I post about him on the forum and would enjoy a visit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    G? His first finger looks flat across the 5th to 3rd strings, giving GBEADG, which could be G6/4 or CMaj9/6, or if the root is Eb or Fbb - context is everything!
    Even if it is a cowboy G, the thing about modern archtops, which John's epitomize, is that they are voiced to be all around acoustic instruments, at home in virtually any genre. I'd be willing to bet that guitar would do just fine in place of a Martin D-28 in a bluegrass band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    Even if it is a cowboy G, the thing about modern archtops, which John's epitomize, is that they are voiced to be all around acoustic instruments, at home in virtually any genre. I'd be willing to bet that guitar would do just fine in place of a Martin D-28 in a bluegrass band.
    Well, the Radio Flyer. Not the solid body.

User Info Menu

John showed me a bunch of videos with Johnathan Stout and a friend playing John’s instruments.
    Wot? Can't recall having seen campus5 post any of those!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Wot? Can't recall having seen campus5 post any of those!

User Info Menu

.......Wow !.....

Jonathan and a Montellone no less !

What a treat !

User Info Menu

Monteleone may be the only luthier to have a rock musician write a song about him--Mark Knopfler--Monteleone. And what a beautiful song it is. (Though I think he's playing it on a Martin 000-40S, not a Monteleone.)

Well Jerry Faires wrote a song about his D18, sung by Norman Blake among others.

Anyway, nice pics, and I have major shop envy. I'm getting a woody just looking at all that wood and tools.

User Info Menu

Steve,

Looking at the flamed maple truss rod cover, I’m curious if it’s secured with screws or otherwise. Some builders are using magnets. Minor detail, but did you happen to notice?

AKA
    Attached Images Attached Images Visit to John Monteleone-img_0703-jpeg 

Albert,
    Hope all is well. I didn't look at the truss rod cover - but I'll check it out on my next visit.

Happy Holiday to you and the family!

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I really like the non-traditional shading he is spraying on many of his guitars although I have a hard time warming up to the green and blue ones.... He also must have first dibs with all the major wood suppliers since the grade of the figured maple in all his instruments is just out-of-this-world.....
    Thanks for posting this, QAman !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    He also must have first dibs with all the major wood suppliers since the grade of the figured maple in all his instruments is just out-of-this-world.....
    If you're asking as much as he is for an instrument there must be a healthy margin to bribe those providers

Or, he's been storing the wood "since forever" and that explains part of his tarifs!