The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi folks – I’m looking to sell some nice wood that, for one reason or other, I can’t use – various sizes and grades – figured maple billets, bookmatched figured maple caps for solid bodies, some spruce flattop sets – also some figured walnut boards and some figured maple fingerboard blanks. It would be way too time consuming for me to sell individual items on ebay – wondering if anyone out there might have an interest or can suggest outlets other than ebay – pricing would be very reasonable as my main concern is just not letting this stuff go to waste.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why not just send an email to a list of luthiers about the situation?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the announcement Mark! Some of the best wood I've had is from personal transactions with a story (a covered bridge that was demolished one spring when the CT river floated an iceberg into it. First growth red spruce that brought luthiers to the site. It was very special).
    This is a nice community here that includes good lutherie knowledge. Thanks for thinking of the group!

User Info Menu

After reading Mark's post yesterday, first came the initial " Gulp "...... Later I went to bed as usual, and finally got to sleep, but kept seeing this headline from an East Coast paper:

" Local master guitar builder winding down his commissions and preparing for his next chapter, relocating to the south of France > ( or Seychelles, or ? )

Gulp again !

: )

User Info Menu

Hi Mark

I’m making high quality veneers and would be happy for any figured woods that could be used on 16-17” backs.

Billets of 250mm (9-10”) x 550mm (21”) would be good. Or there abouts.

I can get a book matched set every 4mm (0.16”) of wood, so a 20mm (.8”) thick billet, would give me 5 book matched backs.

Although to be fair, you’d probably be keeping such billets for making your own backs.

let me know what you have in that range please.

User Info Menu

just a follow up to see you recieved my pm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    After reading Mark's post yesterday, first came the initial " Gulp "...... Later I went to bed as usual, and finally got to sleep, but kept seeing this headline from an East Coast paper:

" Local master guitar builder winding down his commissions and preparing for his next chapter, relocating to the south of France > ( or Seychelles, or ? )

Gulp again !

: )
    Haha! - don't worry - not thinking of retirement yet - still working full steam ahead (well, maybe 3/4 steam - lol) - just have some nice wood here that I can't use - don't want it to go to waste, so just looking to get it into the hands of someone who can use it : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Why not just send an email to a list of luthiers about the situation?
    Thanks for the suggestion, jads - yeah, I've thought of that, and actually have made a list of some builders I might contact, and I may still end up going that route - just thought it would be worth putting it out there on the forum to see if anyone had any better ideas -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Hi Mark

I’m making high quality veneers and would be happy for any figured woods that could be used on 16-17” backs.

Billets of 250mm (9-10”) x 550mm (21”) would be good. Or there abouts.

I can get a book matched set every 4mm (0.16”) of wood, so a 20mm (.8”) thick billet, would give me 5 book matched backs.

Although to be fair, you’d probably be keeping such billets for making your own backs.

let me know what you have in that range please.
    Thanks for your response, Archie - I do have a some nice billets in the stash that are too small for my use - from the length/width dimensions you mentioned, they wouldn't meet your requirements either - seems a lot of billets are being cut for Les Paul tops these days.
    Btw, I'm curious about how you're cutting veneers - on a bandsaw?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Haha! - don't worry - not thinking of retirement yet - still working full steam ahead (well, maybe 3/4 steam - lol) - just have some nice wood here that I can't use - don't want it to go to waste, so just looking to get it into the hands of someone who can use it : )

Hi Mark

Thanks ...Wish I could help ! Good luck w/ the ' inventory reduction'.

All the best in the meantime ! Take care . : )

Dennis

User Info Menu

Hi Mark,

I’d be interested in some of the maple if they are suitable for solid body electrics. I’m just up the road in southern MA, I could save you the hassle of shipping. Please pm if you’d like to connect.

regards,
    bill

User Info Menu

Thanks for your response, Archie - I do have a some nice billets in the stash that are too small for my use - from the length/width dimensions you mentioned, they wouldn't meet your requirements either - seems a lot of billets are being cut for Les Paul tops these days.
    Btw, I'm curious about how you're cutting veneers - on a bandsaw?
    Hey Mark, no problem.

I’ll try and keep this brief because it’s a real passion project of mine and has been for the last 2 months. I could easily go on for ages.

I’ve made a special sliding carriage for my bandsaw. It operates much like a meat slicer in a dehli. I can choose the thickness and can slice down to .8 of a mm.

Here’s a picture of the prototype I made:

wood for sale-9b95e27b-8ee6-4b5b-9aea-59f5bf5e13e7-jpgwood for sale-3099b77c-563a-4159-b2e9-512e8c8a6ac3-jpg

it’s designed to carry 250mm x 550mm planks/billets but can carry much bigger by changing the fence.

I also have a very big bandsaw. Not an industrial re-saw but the biggest type you would use in a woodworking shop. I don’t have a good pic of it but here’s the best one to hand.

wood for sale-fa5d3935-c406-42cb-80b2-c7587cc2ebb9-jpg

I have special blades that allow for fast cutting and minimal waste. They have a special rake tooth to clear the cut (a small tooth between the normal ones).

I’m sure you’re well kitted for blades but I’d be happy to send you a set if you’re interested. In return you can send me a signed off cut of wood, to hang in my workshop

SuperTuff Fastcut Bandsaw Blades

I then have a large digitally controlled wide belt sander that can make any further adjustment in thickness (if required) and sand to finish.

I don’t have a pic to hand but it’s this model.

wood for sale-2080b56b-5700-4e5a-a069-93478d86cf19-jpeg

I have designed special vacuum beds to keep the veneers flat whilst being processed to achieve the maximum quality finish and thickness over the veneer. I’m trying to achieve tolerances of around 0.05mm per sheet. So about 0.001968504 inches.

I have endeavoured to make the finest re-sawn veneers in the world, for arched laminate production.

Here is an example of the veneers I’ve been cutting. It’s still early days but it’s all working out as planned. This is sapeli

wood for sale-8047f65b-0c7c-49cf-bb25-63ee50e61c70-jpgAttachment 106854wood for sale-a51fc4ca-7dec-4318-9823-249627e7b858-jpg

I got 4 sets off of a plank the same size as the one on the end of the bench.
    That other plank is for the matching sides.

I’m going to do a video of it all on my youtube channel and will post here. I just need to finish the new prototype.

If you have any more questions or ideas, happy to help and or to hear them.
    Last edited by Archie; 12-03-2023 at 08:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Archie - thanks for the pics and explanations - I've seen other pics of your set-up here on the forum - very impressive, and I always enjoy seeing shop tour stuff - some really nice equipment there, and your passion for perfection is quite evident! I'll look forward to seeing the video!

User Info Menu

Hi Archie - thanks for the pics and explanations - I've seen other pics of your set-up here on the forum - very impressive, and I always enjoy seeing shop tour stuff - some really nice equipment there, and your passion for perfection is quite evident! I'll look forward to seeing the video!
    Thanks Mark.

I’m an imposter in this space and learning the hard way but having fun.
    Hopefully I can hang in there and get to see it through.
    Talking of perfectionism, your carved plates are a work of art. I hope to achieve the same level in laminate construction.

Your work certainly contributes to what inspires me to do my best.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Hey Mark, no problem.

I’ll try and keep this brief because it’s a real passion project of mine and has been for the last 2 months. I could easily go on for ages.

I’ve made a special sliding carriage for my bandsaw. It operates much like a meat slicer in a dehli. I can choose the thickness and can slice down to .8 of a mm.

Here’s a picture of the prototype I made:

wood for sale-9b95e27b-8ee6-4b5b-9aea-59f5bf5e13e7-jpgwood for sale-3099b77c-563a-4159-b2e9-512e8c8a6ac3-jpg

it’s designed to carry 250mm x 550mm planks/billets but can carry much bigger by changing the fence.

I also have a very big bandsaw. Not an industrial re-saw but the biggest type you would use in a woodworking shop. I don’t have a good pic of it but here’s the best one to hand.

wood for sale-fa5d3935-c406-42cb-80b2-c7587cc2ebb9-jpg

I have special blades that allow for fast cutting and minimal waste. They have a special rake tooth to clear the cut (a small tooth between the normal ones).

I’m sure you’re well kitted for blades but I’d be happy to send you a set if you’re interested. In return you can send me a signed off cut of wood, to hang in my workshop

SuperTuff Fastcut Bandsaw Blades

I then have a large digitally controlled wide belt sander that can make any further adjustment in thickness (if required) and sand to finish.

I don’t have a pic to hand but it’s this model.

wood for sale-2080b56b-5700-4e5a-a069-93478d86cf19-jpeg

I have designed special vacuum beds to keep the veneers flat whilst being processed to achieve the maximum quality finish and thickness over the veneer. I’m trying to achieve tolerances of around 0.05mm per sheet. So about 0.001968504 inches.

I have endeavoured to make the finest re-sawn veneers in the world, for arched laminate production.

Here is an example of the veneers I’ve been cutting. It’s still early days but it’s all working out as planned. This is sapeli

wood for sale-8047f65b-0c7c-49cf-bb25-63ee50e61c70-jpgAttachment 106854wood for sale-a51fc4ca-7dec-4318-9823-249627e7b858-jpg

I got 4 sets off of a plank the same size as the one on the end of the bench.
    That other plank is for the matching sides.

I’m going to do a video of it all on my youtube channel and will post here. I just need to finish the new prototype.

If you have any more questions or ideas, happy to help and or to hear them.
    Id love to see vids of your process, Ive used the same machinery but we never made instruments and also never processed veneer that thin (except for a few "vapor" veneers that came to us from import ply) Im thinking about glue spreading and how many plies in a layup etc. Ive been out of the shop for a few years and its fun to hear someone pushing the edge. I do miss it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 26and385
    Hi Mark,

I’d be interested in some of the maple if they are suitable for solid body electrics. I’m just up the road in southern MA, I could save you the hassle of shipping. Please pm if you’d like to connect.

regards,
    bill
    Thanks for your response, Bill - I've sent you a PM -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    just a follow up to see you recieved my pm
    Hi Rick - wood will be on its way to you tomorrow - check your regular email for details -
    Last edited by MCampellone; 12-05-2023 at 10:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Archie, that bandsaw carriage is a piece of work. And your shop is clean as a whistle!

User Info Menu

I will likely never see or play a Campellone, if theyre as high quality and classy as their maker then they must be among the very best!
    Thankyou Mark

User Info Menu

I got to hold a brand new Cameo model when I stopped by on Friday, I can confirm that the craftsmanship and the builder are both top notch. Thanks again, Mark!

User Info Menu

Rick and Bill - thanks for the kind words - hope you have fun with the wood!