The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just wondering if any old time west coasters may remember Milt. He was Barney Kessels tech at Barneys store and I met him when he was at Maury Steins (Steins on vine) in hollywood late '70s. He did extensive mods on Barneys 350 which is now owned by Bruce Foreman and was tech/luthier to the stars during the wrecking crew days. I know he did lots of stuff for Carol Kay, Howard Roberts etc. I keep a casual notebook of guitar memorabilia from around that time and was lucky enough as a kid to go hang out in the shop with him and share a beer or 2. One of the things he was known for was carving compensated bridges which he told me he started to do when he was with RKO in the '30s?. I think he made them for Eddie Lang and Scotty Moore, Tal and others. You can see one on Bruces 350. He carved his last one out of macassar ebony for me the year he died. Im trying to gather any stories or history about him. He was a really great guy and a treasure chest of jazz guitar history. If anyone has any info they could share Id be much indebted.
    Thanks, Rick

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I knew Milt Owen when he Wallach's Music City, Fife And Nichols (Wallach's Music City); as a teenager, Milt would repair a guitar for me every now and then. Met Jimi Hendrix at Wallach's, Later, '70s Robbie Robertson wanted to track the body of his '64 Strat, plus a little cash for my '64 Strat, great to hear from him, just my Strat was repainted with a Black Snakeskin Finish, looked really good. Milt Owen was always very cool, gave young guitarists good advice, etc! Did you know Milt; he later had a good repair shop on Vine St. (after he had left Wallach's). P.S. Milt always seemed to be playing Django Reinhardt, also think that where I first hear Wes Montgomery!

User Info Menu

He was my dad's guitar repairman. My father taught at Drum City ( Roy Harte), and Shermain's School of Music. I don't know anything else about him except my dad always trusted his guitar ( Barker ) to Milt.

Thanks for the responses, I knew someone here would know of him. He passed in late '70s, I keep a casual memorabilia notebook of clips pictures etc and am always looking for stories quotes etc from "back in the day" that Ill leave in my guitar case for the next guy. Guys like Milt, Ren and others should be noted in the history and development of these archtops we love.
    Thanks for sharing

User Info Menu

Back in the day my old Guild 175 copy needed some work and the only name people told me was Milt Owen.

I lived in Hollywood at the time and I remember I could walk to his shop..He had an xylophone A note which he used as a tune up guide.

He told me some short stories of how he had to build "tools" and rigs to fix the instruments. I knew I had met a master craftsmen.

Other musicians I met in that time period had some stories about Milt. He was the go to guy for some of them.

The fix he did on my Guild lasted for years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    He had an xylophone A note which he used as a tune up guide.
    I have one of those

User Info Menu

In ’72, I had Milt re-fret a ’64 Fender Precision Bass for me. I also accompanied former band mates when they took their guitars to him. I also visited him on my own every few months. Later in ’76, I took my 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent to him to both re-glue the binding and drill a hold behind the neck for a strap button. He did a great job.

I clearly remember turning from Vine Street to Gregory Avenue, then entering Stein on Vine’s rear parking lot where Milt had his shop. I especially remember that he had a custom guitar he made hanging on the wall with a beautifully carved devil’s head scroll (I sometimes wonder where that guitar ended-up).

Milt also believed that most bands did not play their own instruments during recordings (being familiar with the “Wrecking Crew” approach to recording followed by so many groups in the 60’s). He was also VERY adamant in his belief that George Harrison did NOT play the solo on “Till There Was You” (something we sometimes debated). Milt was quite a character and a great guy!

Those were the years I knew him. I remember the devils head guitar clearly (wish I had a picture). Ray Brown came in one day with his electric bass (aria pro). I was a huge fan and was sure he was the god of bass seeing him many times (at Gerry Mcabes no less who I worked for). I kept out of sight in a corner while they talked, after he left Milt knew I was star struck I told him I never knew Ray played electric, he laughed and said "you want to play it? go ahead" I think I told everyone I knew I played Rays bass!
    Thanks for sharing your memories, All these replies will be in my guitar memory notebook to be read by a future guitar player who finds it in my guitar case after I croak (Im 70, hopefully a few good playing years left.) Regarding Harrisons solo I was told it was Clapton, Id love to run that past Milt....
    Thanks to all that shared