The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hi, I recently purchased a Gibson L-48 at an estate sale. The guitar was owned by a neighbor and friend of Les Paul who had suggested a very interesting/odd modification wherein the F-holes were expanded for lack of a better word. Anyway, I had it set up and it plays and sounds cool. The problem is that it's a hodge podge of refinish attempts.

I was wondering if anyone would like to take on this project of stripping and refinishing it. I'm fine with whatever the cost is as I realize it's pretty labor intensive. I also have a an old Dearmond toaster top Model 40 (I believe) pickup that I'd like to have installed if possible.

I will post pictures today.
    Would love to discuss and hear some suggestions or recommendations for the work.

Thanks, folks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not qualified in any way for the work you want, but I really want to see pictures! Expanded F-holes... my curiousity is piqued

User Info Menu

Refinish of a Gibson L-48.......-resized_20220110_152047-jpeg

The size of the sound hole(s) in an acoustic guitar should raise the main body air resonance frequency which seems counter intuitive but that is what the physics says. A few players (Tony Rice) have done it to their flat tops and Martin makes some large soundhole guitars. The theory says it should increase the treble response.

Besides letting the sound out, the f- holes also weaken the top along the recurve and in theory this would free up the center to vibrate more aggressively. It is an interesting modification and would be interesting to find out exactly what they had in mind.

Normally refinishing has a dramatic affect on the value of an old guitar but in this case the damage has been done. One of the paradoxes of refinishing is that you don't want to make it look too shiny and new. I hate the whole idea of relicing a guitar and I would be tempted to use shellac instead of lacquer to try to keep the oldish look. I had a similar problem with a 1932 dobro that had been spray painted black, it stripped easily but I had to maintain the look and feel of the hundred year old guitar.

It might be better to just put it back together and play it as is. Good luck with whatever you do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller
    The size of the sound hole(s) in an acoustic guitar should raise the main body air resonance frequency which seems counter intuitive but that is what the physics says. A few players (Tony Rice) have done it to their flat tops and Martin makes some large soundhole guitars. The theory says it should increase the treble response.

Besides letting the sound out, the f- holes also weaken the top along the recurve and in theory this would free up the center to vibrate more aggressively. It is an interesting modification and would be interesting to find out exactly what they had in mind.

Normally refinishing has a dramatic affect on the value of an old guitar but in this case the damage has been done. One of the paradoxes of refinishing is that you don't want to make it look too shiny and new. I hate the whole idea of relicing a guitar and I would be tempted to use shellac instead of lacquer to try to keep the oldish look. I had a similar problem with a 1932 dobro that had been spray painted black, it stripped easily but I had to maintain the look and feel of the hundred year old guitar.

It might be better to just put it back together and play it as is. Good luck with whatever you do.
    Thanks for the reply!

Well, Les Paul is dead, so that makes it tough, haha. He was obviously a great experimenter, so it's not surprising to hear that it was his idea.

As far as value and refinishing, I agree, that ship has sailed. I also got it for a very good price and not concerned about resale. I'd actually love to have it refinished and made to look brand new. Ha e it become its own thing. I think it would be a very cool "keeper".

User Info Menu

I like it!
    Refinish of a Gibson L-48.......-screen-shot-2023-10-09-4-00-07-am-pngRefinish of a Gibson L-48.......-screen-shot-2023-10-09-3-57-22-am-png
    If you find someone to do a nice lacquer finish, it'll seal the wood and protect it, which is the primary function of the finish. But find someone good. You'll have this as a keeper! Congrats on the most unique purchase and the unique story that comes with it. Certainly one of a kind.

User Info Menu

I think it looks really cool just the way you found it.

I have attempted to “improve” the finish on several guitars and ended up wishing I had left them alone.

User Info Menu

If the finish is gone, Tru-Oil or another oil finish might be an option. It's easy enough to do, requires no special equipment, no hazardous vapors, and it's easily repaired. Properly done, it looks good, IMO about as good as nitro. Just do many thin coats, never thick ones.

User Info Menu

I would really like a full on refinish to something beautiful, like this:Refinish of a Gibson L-48.......-trenier-guitar-jpg

No desire to retain any old looks or vintage, etc. I think it would be very cool to have a guitar with "Gibson" on the headstock, but with a more modern beautiful finish.

I will take some more pics tonight and you can see what a hodge-podge the neck, back and sides are currently. Its totally farkate!

User Info Menu

See if Mark Campellone can do it. He's a well practiced master of finishes. If he can, consider it. You'll have a masterful finish for the life of your guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I would really like a full on refinish to something beautiful, like this:Refinish of a Gibson L-48.......-trenier-guitar-jpg

No desire to retain any old looks or vintage, etc. I think it would be very cool to have a guitar with "Gibson" on the headstock, but with a more modern beautiful finish.

I will take some more pics tonight and you can see what a hodge-podge the neck, back and sides are currently. Its totally farkate!
    The guitar in your pictures is spruce over maple, here is one I did but its spruce and mahogany. Its pretty straight forward tinted lacquer. I was going to do some traditional stains but the wood wasn't happy taking the stain.

FWIW I am not offering to do yours

Refinish of a Gibson L-48.......-img_7368-jpgRefinish of a Gibson L-48.......-img_7380-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller
    The guitar in your pictures is spruce over maple, here is one I did but its spruce and mahogany. Its pretty straight forward tinted lacquer. I was going to do some traditional stains but the wood wasn't happy taking the stain.

FWIW I am not offering to do yours

Refinish of a Gibson L-48.......-img_7368-jpgRefinish of a Gibson L-48.......-img_7380-jpg
    That looks wonderful!