The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can I ask you luthiers for advice please ?

I want to mount a neck humbucker in my Tele
    I'm gonna use a pre-made scratchplate
    and a standard Gibson size humbucker ....

I need to remove some wood to make space for the humbucker
    I don't have a router

I do have an electric drill and
    A set of sharp chisles
    am I crazy to attempt this job without a proper router ?

Could/should I use a standard router bit in my electric drill ?

Thanks folks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You need to use Forstner bits with your drill to make flat bottom holes. Then remove the remaining wood with those sharp chisels. Start by drilling out the corners with a small radius bit. Then do the rest.
    I have an attachment for my drill that stops the bit at a preset depth. Kind of like a drill press. Lacking that, you’ll need to be patient and meticulous, but could get acceptable results, since the cavity will be covered by the pickguard.

User Info Menu

A drill won't turn even close to fast enough to do routing. And if it did, holding it wouldn't be possible. Gilpy is right, although if there isn't that much to remove just chisels might work. Take just a little at a time, starting at the bottom, then the sides, and it's possible. With the proper sizes of Forstner bits you can make things a little easier, with less chiseling. If you don't want to pay for the bits, and they aren't cheap, good sharp chisels are very effective.

User Info Menu

Unless you get a router, the right bit, the right jig, and plan effectively to do a clean job, there's no reason not to just do an ok job with what you have since the pickguard will cover it.

User Info Menu

What they said. Not a problem if you're patient. Not exactly the same thing but when removing wood for an archtop from a bookmatched billet, a similar process (drill bit to gauge rough depth, chisel and gouge to remove wood) is used.
    I'd just note that it'd be good to use a drill press, work to a certain depth, and remove with chisel or gouge to that depth. Make sure your tools are sharp, be patient and report back and ask questions as you proceed. You can do it. Good luck!
    Don't tell me, Ed Bikert, right? Ed's playing inspired me to do the same thing. I did a similar thing except I went with the pickup ring on mine. I love my plank and I'm so proud of my work on the project.

User Info Menu

Rotary tools work very well for routing solid body pickup cavities. Dremel and others have available routing bases, bits and guides that make it easy, and the cost is very low. Use a rigid routing template for best results. Here’s an example - I opened the neck cavity on my old Epi LP for an EMG years ago with a hand held Dremel with no guide.

Removing wood-img_1779-jpeg

The edge of the cheap and thin veneer on the treble side was irregular under the original HB mounting ring, and it split off when I thinned it. This is unlikely to happen on a Tele body, especially with a fresh, sharp bit and a proper guide.

yes Ed Bickert !

longer story
    I wasn’t getting that much hum , but
    when I tried the tele
    with my small group I was constantly
    adjusting the Volume pot to try and
    get the correct balance between chords and single note lines etc , especially on the top E and B strings
    which came out too weak
    (this is with my normal TI flats)

with these strings on my laminate
    archtop with humbuckers I don’t get
    this problem ….

so I’m hoping with a humbucker I
    can adjust the slant and pole heights
    to give me a good balance
    (like i get on my arch top)

worth a try I think

ps If it gives me a warmer thunkier
    sound then all the better ….

Thanks for the advice everyone

Where are you located? If you were close to me I would route the cavity for you using the correct template and the correct bit. If you are not close (I assume you are not) then I would suggest finding a builder in your area who can help. There are some other forums with more active builder discussions where you might have better luck.

Doing it right only takes a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller;[URL="tel:1279925"
    1279925[/URL]]Where are you located? If you were close to me I would route the cavity for you using the correct template and the correct bit. If you are not close (I assume you are not) then I would suggest finding a builder in your area who can help. There are some other forums with more active builder discussions where you might have better luck.

Doing it right only takes a few minutes.
    That's very kind Freeman but I'm going to have a go
    at this myself .
    I think I'm up to it .... I'm going to take it real slow
    and it will be covered by the pickguard
    Removing wood-img_3312-jpg
    I'll let y'all know how it goes ....