The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 69

User Info Menu

Steve, your Borys looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Just received this update from Roger.
    My neck is now attached to the B165 Body.
    Roger also informed me that he has a few guitars available as follows:

1. 17” solid carved guitar.
    2. A nylon string jazz guitar
    3. A 7 string Jazz solid
    4 Possibly a two yr old B120 coming in
    on trade. He will let me know if/ when that
    happens.

He did not give me prices to post. So you’ll have to reach out if your interested . He’s very fair with his prices compared to other luthiers.

He said if anyone is interested - just send him an email to Borysguitars.com and mention the forum post. I am not getting anything out of this, just helping another luthier friend of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that that old 7 string Jazz Solid that he's had in his shop for at least five years?
    I get confused playing 7-strings, and that one made me feel like a rat in a maze. I'll use my Boss octave pedal if I want to go below E.

Sgcim,
    I'm not sure when the 7 string jazz solid was made. But as we know, 7 strings can be challenging to sell. My friend Larry Wexer has a well appointed presentation grade 7 string Montelone for 75k, which would be over 100k new, and only one (somewhat serious) offer at around 60k.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

what’s B165? Never saw that model before. I thought it’s just b120, Wyble and 17” carved special (apart from nylon and solid). Roger is a great guy-it’s great that he is not slowing down.

Here is the B165

User Info Menu

I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe B165 is Wyble. I post because I'd like to confirm as well.

The B165 is a new "Special" 16.5 laminate. It's the same body size of his carved 16.5 - scale is 25". He also has a 17" carved too - with 25.375 scale. It appears that he's filling in the body size gaps by 1/2 inch increments. I found this B165 body under his work bench - along with a B15.5, several B120's and some Wybles.

I tapped all the bodies and this B165 was a Canon. It's fun visiting Roger because he always has something in process that's available - and I can use my ear to select what I like.

User Info Menu

Lucky you! Thanks for straightening that out. Us outliers only know about what's on his site and what we can googlerize.

Google just showed me some Wyble's that are also notated as B160. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Lucky you! Thanks for straightening that out. Us outliers only know about what's on his site and what we can googlerize.

Google just showed me some Wyble's that are also notated as B160. Is that correct?
    Ccroft,
    Thanks. The Wyble is the B160. According to Roger - this is essentially the same guitar as the real D’Aquisto Jazz Special. Here is a pic of my Wyble.

User Info Menu

My B160

Visit to Roger Bory’s-dsc_8563-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    My B160

Visit to Roger Bory’s-dsc_8563-jpg
    Awesome Bob! I was playing my Wyble today- what a great guitar. There is one on Reverb if anyone is interested.

User Info Menu

Awesome Bob! I was playing my Wyble today- what a great guitar. There is one on Reverb if anyone is interested.

I am way past the honeymoon stage with my Borys guitars and for me, there is no guitar I’d rather play. I feel fortunate to have stumbled on to Roger.

I am way past the honeymoon stage with my Borys guitars and for me, there is no guitar I’d rather play. I feel fortunate to have stumbled on to Roger.
    I entirely agree -

User Info Menu

On the stage my B120 is my number 1. What a guitar!

Visit to Roger Bory’s-img_4444-jpg

User Info Menu

Tearing it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    On the stage my B120 is my number 1. What a guitar!

Visit to Roger Bory’s-img_4444-jpg

User Info Menu

Tearing it up!
    Thanks skiboy! This B120 is probably the easiest playing guitar I have ever had. Pretty incredible.

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Thanks skiboy! This B120 is probably the easiest playing guitar I have ever had. Pretty incredible.

Doug
    For sure! Roger uses a very straight neck coupled with very little down force on the bridge. (shallow neck angle) Almost in the dangerous zone. When it's right though, you get a super low tension without sacrificing great sound. The best IMO.
    Last edited by skiboyny; 07-29-2023 at 09:18 AM.

User Info Menu

The neck on my 120 is one of my favourite things. One piece w/ heel, straightest grain, and perfectly quartered with lovely figure. It's something I'm in intimate contact with and can actually see while I play. I happen to love his stock shape as well.

My guy complimented the stiffness of the neck. Almost doesn't need a truss rod with TI 12's for basically zero relief.
    It's a notably solid and stable guitar all round.

And again: thanks to the forum for introducing me to Borys!

User Info Menu

The neck on my 120 is one of my favourite things. One piece w/ heel, straightest grain, and perfectly quartered with lovely figure. It's something I'm in intimate contact with and can actually see while I play. I happen to love his stock shape as well.

My guy complimented the stiffness of the neck. Almost doesn't need a truss rod with TI 12's for basically zero relief.

The truss is in there but he doesn't tighten them. The neck is jet straight. Any relief is done by the string tension. You wouldn't think that would work out but it really does.

User Info Menu

One time I was at his shop, and I brought up the fact that someone online was claiming that he didn't make his own necks; that he sent out to someone to make them.
    He got up and went to the back of his shop, and came back with a whole slew of necks he was working on!
    The competition is fierce in that business, and he's been threatened with physical violence several times.
    That bat he has on the wall near the door is not there because he's a baseball fan...

Just got back from Rogers shop to check the neck shapes and progress of my B165 and the Jazz solid.

He nailed the neck shapes exactly as I requested. They are like a vintage V/C with thinned cheeks and a smooth D’Aquisto like feel. No obtrusive D shaped shoulders.

I’m trying to convince him to leave my B165 as a floater laminate. I could tell he wasn’t too keen on the idea, but agreed to string it up for me to try before cutting in the pickup.

We spent two hours talking about Jimmy D’Aquisto and the good ole days. Every time I visit Roger I hear some new stories. Today, he told me an interesting one about Jimmy, Johnny Smith and John Collins -but that’s for another topic.

Here are a few pics - Roger was a bit covered in sanding dust from working on the Jazz Solid, and always gracious with photo requests .

He plans on spraying both in a few weeks.

User Info Menu

Awww... isn't that cute! Looking forward to more progress reports, and ultimately a review!

User Info Menu

Just got back from Rogers shop to check the neck shapes and progress of my B165 and the Jazz solid.

He nailed the neck shapes exactly as I requested. They are like a vintage V/C with thinned cheeks and a smooth D’Aquisto like feel. No obtrusive D shaped shoulders.

I’m trying to convince him to leave my B165 as a floater laminate. I could tell he wasn’t too keen on the idea, but agreed to string it up for me to try before cutting in the pickup.

We spent two hours talking about Jimmy D’Aquisto and the good ole days. Every time I visit Roger I hear some new stories. Today, he told me an interesting one about Jimmy, Johnny Smith and John Collins -but that’s for another topic.

Here are a few pics - Roger was a bit covered in sanding dust from working on the Jazz Solid, and always gracious with photo requests .

He plans on spraying both in a few weeks.

Wow. Very excited for you, Steve. Thanks for the pics and the update. And you look like you're in great shape, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Wow. Very excited for you, Steve. Thanks for the pics and the update. And you look like you're in great shape, my friend!
    Thanks for the kind words Michael. At 65 it takes a lot of exercise and strength training to stay healthy.

Next time you visit NYC I’ll take you over to Rogers shop. The photographs of Borys players, CD ‘s, guitar building templates , stories and musical history is very stimulating and exciting.

It was Jim D’Aquisto who shaped the actual forms for the pressed laminates - beginning with the early BG model made for Barry Galbraith.

You can see the wide re-curve in the laminate shape - which is typical on Jimmy’s
    guitars. Here is an early Brochure.

Here are a few pics of inside the brochure