The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Can you have too much pearl?-353034483_652861036885213_3446817620802124033_n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can, but this is not too much

User Info Menu

It is more than I need but I would have no problem owning the guitar.

User Info Menu

I've built of bunch of banjos with real fancy pearl inlay over the years and converted a Gibson J-100 acoustic to Style 45 edge trim and added vines to a few old plain Lyon & Healey models but, anymore, the pearl just doesn't get me like it used to. I prefer plain fretboards and nothing more than tasteful herringbone on bodies. To me, this D'A is maybe just a little too much. As always, YMMV.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of this shot of the largely forgotten Bernard Addison from back in the day.
    I never was able to figure out what this guitar was, maybe a Paramount?

User Info Menu

That looks like an Epiphone to me, but I can't tell the model. Probably not a low-end one.

User Info Menu

He played a Dangelico it could be early one.

User Info Menu

Possible, I really can't tell much from that photo, but the pickguard shape is very much the Epi shape. I don't know enough about D'Angelicos to be able to say much one way or another.

User Info Menu

Yes you can! I’m not a fan of all those blocks, but it can always be worse. When I visited the PRS factory years ago, they let me play a Private Stock Dragon with inlay that filled most of every interspace. It was so ornate that I had to close my eyes or look away to play it without hitting the wrong frets. This one is similar but not the one I played -

Can you have too much pearl?-img_1773-jpeg

User Info Menu

Brings up the old question: how can it matter if the fretboard is rosewood or ebony when most of it is sea shell?

User Info Menu

Can you have too much pearl?-danny_gatton-jpg

This is just about enough for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Brings up the old question: how can it matter if the fretboard is rosewood or ebony when most of it is sea shell?
    and can you hear the difference between real pearl and Mother of Toilet Seat?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    and can you hear the difference between real pearl and Mother of Toilet Seat?

And what about laminated MOP vs solid, one piece, or for that matter, bookmatched ??

But then again, as any car guy will tell you, adding chrome always makes a car go faster ..

: )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    And what about laminated MOP vs solid, one piece, or for that matter, bookmatched ??

But then again, as any car guy will tell you, adding chrome always makes a car go faster ..

: )
    In the old school Biker world we used to say "chrome won't get you home"......Not that it ever stopped us from adding more chrome to our Hogs.......

User Info Menu

Does pearl affect the sound? Is pearl better than ebony for sound and playability?

As far as looks go, any pearl is too much pearl for me. I prefer ebony with no markers.

But that De Angelico does fit into a certain country sequin aesthetic.

User Info Menu

...not if you're the king -

Can you have too much pearl?-bb-jpg

or the other king -

Can you have too much pearl?-albert-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well now…… that one has a Peale.

User Info Menu

Naw, never too much. Inlay show at the Musical Instrument Museum here in Phoenix a couple of years ago. I think this was a 150th anniversary or guitar number 1 million or 10 million
    Attached Images Attached Images Can you have too much pearl?-img_3758-jpg Can you have too much pearl?-img_3761-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Does pearl affect the sound? Is pearl better than ebony for sound and playability?

As far as looks go, any pearl is too much pearl for me. I prefer ebony with no markers.

But that De Angelico does fit into a certain country sequin aesthetic.
    Maybe it belonged to a Western swing player. It tickles me to death looking at pictures of "hillbilly" gigs from up to the early '60s and seeing a rhythm player lurking in the background with a big Gibson, Epiphone, D'Angelico, or occasional Stromberg archtop.

User Info Menu

I find that D'Angelico quite beautiful, but at the same time I think having pearl on every fret somewhat defeats the purpose of fret markers. I wouldn't order it that way, but If someone gave it to me, I'd gladly accept it. I used to say that I prefer plain to blingy, but I keep buying relatively blingy guitars so I don't think I can say that anymore.

User Info Menu

You can't have too much pearl or abalone.

Also, if it doesn't have gold hardware I factor that into the cost of the instrument. Gold hardware=superior tone. Excessive pearl or abalone=superior tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    You can't have too much pearl or abalone.

Also, if it doesn't have gold hardware I factor that into the cost of the instrument. Gold hardware=superior tone. Excessive pearl or abalone=superior tone.
    Now you tell me … all these years with dots and chrome wasted …

User Info Menu

You’re all amateurish dilettantes.

Willkommen bei Adobe GoLive 5