The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Anyone know of a Plek Machine in Australia? I searched the web and it sounds like there might be one in Sydney but I'm not sure where.
    Sydney Guitar Setups, Parramatta Rd Sydney,

They have mixed reviews, it looks to me like if you're a rock star, great service, if not, can be patchy.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I think the machine allows an average technician to achieve results they wouldn't otherwise be able to achieve. But if you've found a really good set-up person, the results are just as good. And usually less money.
    If there are other problems other than frets, like warping, etc., I don't think I would trust that to a Plec machine.
    But I'm not against technology, and if I hadn't found a really good set-up person, I might consider it.

User Info Menu

I spoke with Graham (store luthier) at Wolfe guitars on the topic of hand leveling vs Plek. He was of the opinion that the Plek's accuracy exceeded that of the human hand because it was capable of filing to within a few micrometers. As a matter of fact, me did fretwork on one of my guitars a few years before the shop acquired their Plek machine, and while the results were good, they weren't quite as good as those of a Pleked guitar I purchased from them years later.

All in all, at a cost of $200, I find the cost reasonable for the fantastic results that can be expected. I have inquired about full fret leveling service around the Miami area and have been quoted around $200. When cost is the same, I prefer the certainty of the Plek when available.

User Info Menu

When I bought my L-4CES new it was plecked from the factory and played fine. With in a year I brought the guitar to Hoffman Guitars and had my tech dress the frets and it played better. Then I had her install and intonate an ebony bridge and now it plays superb. I think it's all down to your tech's personal skill level. This is no place to go the cheap route. I plan on bringing my new ES-345 down to Hoffman's and have Michelle give it her magic touch. A good tech is worth there weight in Brazilian rosewood!
    Thanks John