The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, new forum user and new player here. My friend (who plays alto sax) and I are wanting to play Shorter's Black Nile at an upcoming jam session, and we both want to play the melody. However, we were curious about who should play what part on the tune's B section. Should I play the harmony part while my friend plays the main line on sax or vice versa? What's typical? Attached a picture of the relevant section in the sheet music. Thank you.

(Also, obligatory "sorry if this is in the wrong section")
    Attached Images Attached Images Should guitar play the harmony line if there is one?-firefox_bt2xhytde0-png 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If there's a piano, play the melody. If there is no piano it's up to you.

I think it would be cool if you guys arranged this part and he took, say, the bottom note and you took the top.

User Info Menu

Generally (no hard and fast rule) the sax would take the top line. Thats just because sax will blow guitar out of the water in terms of projection and the top line is usually the melody.

Listen to Miles and Milt Jackson on Bags Groove. Miles plays the melody the first time, while Milt plays the lower line. Then they switch. But whatever miles is playing sounds like the melody because of how much better the instrument cuts through.

User Info Menu

You would know better than me.

User Info Menu

Original is trumpet over tenor, right? So you got a choice to make...

As long as the upper part fits in the alto's range comfortably, I say give the top part to the sax...it will be stronger

User Info Menu

Try both, see which sounds better. Why don't you trust yourselves?