The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

So I've hooked up with a female singer in my first ever purely jazz duo. Previous duo's have always been a mix of music often times not even featuring one jazz tune.

The purpose of this duo is to make extra money through gigs and have some fun ( and improve musicianship).

We'll have a YouTube channel but more for promotional purposes rather than with a view of monetizing it. Same for the other socials.

We've had 4 rehearsals so far today will be number 5 and we have just 5 songs that we can play pretty much from memory.

I can play some solo guitar tunes to get us through the early gigs too. Maybe one or two per set.

Just keeping the guitar part easy atm. Four to the bar with some solo sections that I play Tim Lerch / Ted Greene style.

The main objective is just to get the harmony of each tune into my ear. Plenty of time for fancier playing later.

The majority of rehearsal time is finding which tunes sound best, the best key to play these in and intros and endings. Also discussing the mood, feel and tempo of the tunes. Then playing the tunes.

It's amazing how fast time passes by when rehearsing.

The tunes so far are;

Why Don't You Do Right
    Dream a Little Dream
    Misty
    Blue Moon
    Summertime

The plan is to do some busking first, then play the markets, then play corporates getting solid at each stage.

We are both a little older so she is watching her voice and I am watching my hands.

Anyhow the purpose of this thread is that hopefully it will help someone who wants to know the reality of starting a jazz duo and getting it of the ground.

Peace.

Aurora Jazz Duo-received_1915068852279452-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We have our first gig coming up at a restaurant. Although I gig often in bands I’m looking forward to this one. Me on my tele, a bass player and a female singer who also can play some percussion. The bass player and percussion obviously opens thing up a bit but this will still be out of my wheelhouse so to speak. We are doing plenty of standards but mixing in some R&B and classic and “modern” country tunes. Maybe even a surf instrumental here and there. I suppose the trade off to being “aural wallpaper” on this type of gig if that we aren’t expected to bring people. So the pressure is off in that regard. Also the “set-up” will be super easy.

As a duo I think intros will help break things up nicely.

Keep us posted on your new endeavor and good luck.

User Info Menu

My band was booked as a trio, upright bass, trumpet and guitar. We are having a rehearsal Saturday to see how it goes.

My advice to everyone doing this is, you can get away with playing less, but if you try to step up and biff the fancy stuff everyone will know,

User Info Menu

Just a little update.

We have changed our name to Dreamland Jazz Duo which I think that you'll agree is better than Aurora Jazz Duo.

Had our first busk today. Went well apart from the wind factor.

We did;

Do Right
    Misty
    Dream a Little Dream
    Summertime
    Blue Moon
    The Way You Look Tonight
    Cry Me a River
    Moon River
    Plus I payed some solo stuff before and after the list.

Nice way to practise once you know the tunes ok.

We have also have Autumn Leaves and The Girl from Ipanema in our set but they are relatively new yet but might include one or both next week.

Heading out tomorrow again. Basically practise on familiar tunes while building up the kitty.

Perhaps our first market gig next month? Fingers crossed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    We have changed our name to Dreamland Jazz Duo which I think that you'll agree is better than Aurora Jazz Duo.
    And there I was going to say that you were in illustrous company with that name...

ENSEMBLE AURORA

User Info Menu

We have been meeting regularly and have 3 gigs lined up, the first being at the end of May.

Plenty of time to practice or so we thought. I got a text this morning to see if I could fill for someone next Sunday. A quick confirmation text and everything was well.....

Until I picked up a food bowl that one of my boys left on the ground. In doing so I got a splinter lodged underneath my picking hand index finger nail. It actually broke the nail a bit and hurts lot so I can't practise.

We don't have enough material for two sets so I'll play solo fingerstyle guitar for a set then the duo for a set.

We have

Do Right
    Dream a Little Dream
    Misty
    Summertime
    Blue Moon
    The Way You Look Tonight
    Cry Me a River
    Moon River
    Girl from Ipanema
    Autumn Leaves
    Crazy
    My Funny Valentine

Hope that my finger heals pronto....I need to practice!!!

User Info Menu

alltunes and AllenAllen, any updates on your trios?

User Info Menu

The trio gig went great. We have another booked in June, I'm going to try for more trio stuff. It's fun to be uncomfortable.

You're only 6 songs away from 2 45 minute sets. I do 9 song sets with my group, usually the last one is cut short.

User Info Menu

Nice one AllenAllen. Duo gigs next for you

We'll get a full set if I do improv but am actually looking forward to the solo set more. I love the freedom.

User Info Menu

alltunes and AllenAllen, any updates on your trios?
    Our first as a trio is May 10. We will mix it up pretty good, jazz standards with vox, some old school R&B, classic country; a few instrumentals. The gig will be in a restaurant type setting
    but with an active bar.....will report back.

User Info Menu

Nice one AllenAllen. Duo gigs next for you

We'll get a full set if I do improv but am actually looking forward to the solo set more. I love the freedom.
    I've tried to get a duo thing when someone comes back that they mostly do solo acoustic acts. No bites yet. I think I gotta make a stupid website, with a stupid EPK. The business side of music is just awful.