The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

No guitar chart for Blues March, so I went through the bass chart and wrote in what I think the changes are. I tried playing by ear at rehearsal, but there's a drum break about 3/4 of the way through that adds an extra 4 bars. I was lost after that. Now that I know it's there I'd probably be fine, but I prefer being prepared.
    Attached Images Attached Images Does this make me a pro musician?-screenshot-2024-03-20-08-21-33-png 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does this make me a pro musician?

A pro musician is someone who makes their living solely from playing music. If you do another job for a living and only get some income from music then you're semi-pro. Someone who earns a living from playing music but does things on the side that bring in a bit extra is still a professional.

However, it would be wrong to call someone who can play to a professional standard but who doesn't earn from it an amateur. It's more like 'That guy's so good he could go pro'.

Apart from retired pros who venture out now and again :-)

User Info Menu

There is a guitar part....you can make one from the preview:

Blues March by Benny Golson/arr. Terry White| J.W. Pepper Sheet Music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by enalnitram
    There is a guitar part....you can make one from the preview:

Blues March by Benny Golson/arr. Terry White| J.W. Pepper Sheet Music
    Thanks for this! I see a few changes I need to make.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    No guitar chart for Blues March, so I went through the bass chart and wrote in what I think the changes are. I tried playing by ear at rehearsal, but there's a drum break about 3/4 of the way through that adds an extra 4 bars. I was lost after that. Now that I know it's there I'd probably be fine, but I prefer being prepared.
    Not knowing the piece I'd probably play the 1st 8 bars something like this
    BbBb7EbEdim Bb//F7
    BbBbdimCm7B7b5 Bb//F7
    Bb/A7/ Ab7b5/G7/
    C7Dm7CdimC7 F7---

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Not knowing the piece I'd probably play the 1st 8 bars something like this
    BbBb7EbEdim Bb//F7
    BbBbdimCm7B7b5 Bb//F7
    Bb/A7/ Ab7b5/G7/
    C7Dm7CdimC7 F7---
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Many connections to Terry White:
    > Played in a rehearsal big-band w/ Mr. White ca. 1993-1996
    > Mr. White was my son's band director in middle school
    > Mr. White is a former player and frequent arranger in the big band I play with, your Portland Jazz Orchestra

It is a pleasure to see Mr. White's arrangements spread far and wide.
    It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    PJO has at least five members who write and arrange (plus Terry) and at least two of those folks (plus Terry) publish nationally.
    They all say that he inspired them. How cool is that!

They let me play with them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry

They let me play with them!
    This is exactly how I feel about the big band I play with. The whole experience brings me a lot of joy.

User Info Menu

I go from semi pro to pro then back again just depending on how many gigs I have in a given week.

User Info Menu

Well, the big band gig is over. It flew by. Hope to do it again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Well, the big band gig is over. It flew by. Hope to do it again.
    Well I hope you have some other dates on the books. Season is coming. If not, start sending out those messages. Good luck this year Allan!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Well I hope you have some other dates on the books. Season is coming. If not, start sending out those messages. Good luck this year Allan!
    Yes, spring is around the corner here. Am getting the solo pieces ready as well as tunes for the new duo. Aiming to make more bucks than I did in 2022

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    I just booked gig number 12 yesterday. I have reached my goal for the year.

Trumpet in my combo was sick so we played as guitar/bass/ drums trio last night. He’s back tonight. It’s good to know I don’t need a lead instrument, but it’s also going to be very nice to have one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Yes, spring is around the corner here. Am getting the solo pieces ready as well as tunes for the new duo. Aiming to make more bucks than I did in 2022
    Places here are booking January 2025 already. There’s a ton of bands now.