The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hello Fellow Jazz Guitarists,

I will be in the Tampa/Sarasota area in February 2024.
    Can my Central Floridians point me in the direction of some local Jams that I can participate in while I am there.

Thanks is Advance.

Anthony

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A

Can my Central Floridians point me in the direction of some local Jams that I can participate in while I am there.

Thanks is Advance.

Anthony
    I live in Bradenton just north of Sarasota and, to my knowledge, there is not much. Pretty sure there's a lot more going on in Tampa and St Petersburg. I know of one trio that performs regularly (?) in Sarasota but as far as jams go, I don't know of any; maybe a few folky open mics but that's about it. This is an electric blues/tiki bar area with, even, very little in the way of country music. There are a few places in Sarasota with music but AFIK it's mostly blues/classic rock/Americana. I've been out of the loop for a while but that's about it from what I see on social media. I was contacted the other day from a local Equity theater to do a production this spring, so, at least, I'll have something going on. There's a fine guitarist in Sarasota named Mark Mannino who was the jazz prof at the local college - he hooked up with a wedding planning outfit and does that a lot as well as playing with the trio mentioned above. Tampa has a fine nylon string player, Nate Najar who gigs a lot, I think, and there are others that I'm not familiar with. Tampa also has a jazz club - you might try contacting them for info. Good luck and maybe we'll have some nice weather for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I live in Bradenton just north of Sarasota and, to my knowledge, there is not much. Pretty sure there's a lot more going on in Tampa and St Petersburg. I know of one trio that performs regularly (?) in Sarasota but as far as jams go, I don't know of any; maybe a few folky open mics but that's about it. This is an electric blues/tiki bar area with, even, very little in the way of country music. There are a few places in Sarasota with music but AFIK it's mostly blues/classic rock/Americana. I've been out of the loop for a while but that's about it from what I see on social media. I was contacted the other day from a local Equity theater to do a production this spring, so, at least, I'll have something going on. There's a fine guitarist in Sarasota named Mark Mannino who was the jazz prof at the local college - he hooked up with a wedding planning outfit and does that a lot as well as playing with the trio mentioned above. Tampa has a fine nylon string player, Nate Najar who gigs a lot, I think, and there are others that I'm not familiar with. Tampa also has a jazz club - you might try contacting them for info. Good luck and maybe we'll have some nice weather for you.
    Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Hows the blues scene in Bradenton? Inviting? Click-ish? Not much in the way of acoustic blues there you say? The town has a reputation of being musically inclined or so I heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Hows the blues scene in Bradenton? Inviting? Click-ish? Not much in the way of acoustic blues there you say? The town has a reputation of being musically inclined or so I heard.
    There used to be a blues magazine with a national following (don't remember the name) based here but I checked online and I think they've gone belly up. There is a Bradenton blues festival of some sort but, since it's my least favorite genre, I don't really pay much attention to what's happening in the blues world. I've said before that, around here, if you don't play electric blues or tiki bar music, you don't play. There's a couple redneck type country bands (one 4 piece and one with tracks) working the Moose, DAV, and VFW scene, but that's about it to the best of my knowledge. Quite a bit of good country in the Ft Myers/Englewood/Northport area and further north in the area around the Villages/Lake Panosofkee area. I ended up selling my pedal steel due to lack of work in this area - just nothing going on.

User Info Menu

Thanks in Advance.

Anthony
    I live in Sarasota and Jazz does exist in Sarasota. There is the "Jazz Club of Sarasota". Through that club, you could find musicians to jam with and scheduled open mic/Jam sessions. Jazz Club of Sarasota

SRQ Jazz Jam: SRQ Jazz Jam | Sarasota County Libraries

The Sarasota Senior Center often has Jazz Jams. Contact them: https://friendshipcenters.org/locati...ndship-center/

Bradenton Jazz Jam: Monday Nights Jazz Jam Sessions with Robbie Rose Trio - Sarasota Events Calendar

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    I live in Sarasota and Jazz does exist in Sarasota. There is the "Jazz Club of Sarasota". Through that club, you could find musicians to jam with and scheduled open mic/Jam sessions. Jazz Club of Sarasota

The Sarasota Senior Center often has Jazz Jams. Contact them: https://friendshipcenters.org/locati...ndship-center/

Bradenton Jazz Jam: Monday Nights Jazz Jam Sessions with Robbie Rose Trio - Sarasota Events Calendar

I hope this helps.
    Thank you very much. This is most helpful

I hope this helps.
    I will be definitely check out the music scene while I am there.

Are you a player?
    Do you frequent these jams ?
    Any idea what I should expect in terms of equipment, styles etc. ?

User Info Menu

I will be definitely check out the music scene while I am there.

Are you a player?
    Do you frequent these jams ?
    Any idea what I should expect in terms of equipment, styles etc. ?

Yes, I am a player but I play mostly with musicians in my community. The jams are usually on American songbook tunes. I think just an amp and a guitar will be all you need.

Let me know how it goes. Maybe the two of could play together one day while you are here.
    Last edited by charleyrich99; 12-28-2023 at 03:40 PM.

Yes, I am a player but I play mostly with musicians in my community. The jams are usually on American songbook tunes. I think just an amp and a guitar will be all you need.
    Thank you