The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    You need to talk with the pianist about sharing comping responsibilities.
    I'm not talking about that taking turns comping (which is a whole other kettle of fish and usually hopeless). I'm talking about pianists who comp too busily and/or don't adjust how they comp for soloists. Comping for vibes or guitar is different (or should be, anyway) from comping for a horn or a singer,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I'm not talking about that taking turns comping (which is a whole other kettle of fish and usually hopeless). I'm talking about pianists who comp too busily and/or don't adjust how they comp for soloists. Comping for vibes or guitar is different (or should be, anyway) from comping for a horn or a singer,
    Well then, you need to talk about that too. I’m assuming this is someone you play with regularly, not some random jam session one-off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I'm talking about pianists who comp too busily and/or don't adjust how they comp for soloists. Comping for vibes or guitar is different (or should be, anyway) from comping for a horn or a singer,
    Pianists typically learn to play by learning songs for the piano where the piano is the whole song and the whole song is the piano. But Jazz piano played in a band with others is different. Done right it has a "lazy" sound, less is more, minimalist sense (which would have horrified their piano teacher).

Even a thoughtful pianist who is attempting to play less busy and stay "adjustable" to the others may be having a hard time maintaining that, or even conceiving it.

I have found that describing the physical aspect of their hands as a mechanical reminder of what is producing the right sound helps: "In this part try keeping your two hands close together" or "In this part try playing with just one hand".