The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 83

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Quite honestly I’m not 100% I could locate Birmingham on a map of the UK.
    What do you mean? You're not sure where exactly Birmingham is, in England? Or you think Birmingham "does not belong" in the UK?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    What do you mean? You're not sure where exactly Birmingham is, in England? Or you think Birmingham "does not belong" in the UK?
    hmmm

I think I would struggle to draw that border. Maybe brum should be a city state.

Actually they’d probably like that.

User Info Menu

Actually that’s reminds me of another example… where does the ‘the North’ start in the UK?

Growing up in the south east, Birmingham always seemed ‘northern’ to me. Of course, it’s not, it’s in the flipping midlands and it’s right in the middle of the UK (a bit like Czechia being in the middle of Europe.)

someone from Yorkshire would regard it as very much ‘the South’ I would expect.

I suppose I could place it on a map then.

User Info Menu

Actually that’s reminds me of another example… where does the ‘the North’ start in the UK?
    Well at the Watford Gap Service Station, obviously.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I knew Birmingham is in the Midlands, by the way... but I thought it was north of Leicester... I checked Google maps and it's actually (slightly) south-west of Leicester.
    I definitely need to revise my geography

User Info Menu

The video made me laugh. My big band kicked off a Veteran's Day celebration in Goodyear, AZ last night and this was our setlist:

Set List - Saturday Nov. 11 - Goodyear Civic Square - 5:00-6:00 pm
    278 - Magic Flea
    83 - Leap Frog
    139 - I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
    440 - St. Louis Blues March
    120 - Sing, Sing, Sing
    397 - America the Beautiful
    411 - When the Saints Go Marching In
    39 - Sugar Blues
    289 - Stars and Stripes Forever
    4 - In the Mood

Just going on record to say that while I really enjoy most Nestico charts I loathe MF, but our leader loves it and keeps resurrecting it long after we should have put it in its final resting place.

Danny W.

Goodyear will salute veterans with tribute festival | Goodyear Independent

User Info Menu

P.S. Is there another Leicester slightly to the north-east of Birmingham Alabama?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well at the Watford Gap Service Station, obviously.
    ah well Birmingham qualifies then (just)

otoh a lot of people have made the mistake that the Watford gap is near Watford… but tbf that is how a lot of Londoners define the north tbh haha

User Info Menu

Who?

If people are conflating Europe with the EU, I might find myself ‘transcontinental’ as well haha
    Somehow that reminded me of something

Anyway, I find it increasingly difficult NOT to conflate the EU and Europe as just about every nation in the latter is either a member of the former, aspires to be one or has decided not to be (reminder to self: Norway is among the latter). By now the distinction between the 2 has become almost exactly the same as the distinction between Australia the country and Australia the continent; both are moot in contexts such as where people are from.
    (I think we can safely ignore the French Dom/Tom for the sake of the current discussion.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Who?

Anyway, I find it increasingly difficult NOT to conflate the EU and Europe as just about every nation in the latter is either a member of the former, aspires to be one or has decided not to be (reminder to self: Norway is among the latter). By now the distinction between the 2 has become almost exactly the same as the distinction between Australia the country and Australia the continent; both are moot in contexts such as where people are from.
    (I think we can safely ignore the French Dom/Tom for the sake of the current discussion.)
    Moot. How very French.

User Info Menu

Historically the Caucasus is a borderland between East and West, and depending on the ideas and politics of the age it's been claimed by either. I *think* Armenia and Georgia are generally considered geopolitically part of the West.

Anyway, that's a nice band. Thanks for posting it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Moot. How very French.
    Except I'm not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    As a European I am often amazed how little many US-Americans know about which countries other than their own are located on which continent ...

Armenia - Wikipedia
    Wait, are you trying to say that Americans know what continent their own country is located on? As a New Yorker, I beg to differ. Americans rarely grasp that their nation is located on an island off the continent of Manhattan.

Otherwise, yeah, Armenians wail. The whole silk road wails.

User Info Menu

I was in Belgrade (if not Eastern Europe, at least Southeastern ...) over the summer and sat in at a jam session there. There were some fantastic players. I've run into a bunch of really good Polish players, tons of Austrian ones too. There are excellent jazz conservatories all over Europe.

User Info Menu

I'd say the elasticity of "borders" and mix of cultures in Eastern Europe is precisely the type of environment that makes things like "jazz" happen musically.

And maybe one of the reasons it's a dying Art in the states? For as diverse as the US is, it sure is segregated.

User Info Menu

Most people would say that music as a whole knows no borders. I don't see why jazz is special. There's some element of jazz everywhere you go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Most people would say that music as a whole knows no borders. I don't see why jazz is special. There's some element of jazz everywhere you go.

That's a nice thought, but also there are plenty of kinds of music that come from insular communities. That's not a bad thing. I mean, I could buy a concertina and play cajun music, but that doesn't make me cajun. And that's cool.

Jazz isn't special in being a hodge-podge, but it's a great example of what music that truly blends influences can sound like. You know how a lot of "fusion" and "world music" sounds like things co-exisiting but not truly blending? Jazz wasn't that. It's a true new synthesis of musics. I think the atmosphere in parts of Europe is ripe for that kind of fusion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I was in Belgrade (if not Eastern Europe, at least Southeastern ...) over the summer and sat in at a jam session there. There were some fantastic players. I've run into a bunch of really good Polish players, tons of Austrian ones too. There are excellent jazz conservatories all over Europe.
    I remember, in the early 1980's, listening (on Italian radio) to Yugoslavian (yes, it still was Yugoslavia back then) Jazz musicians such as Dusko Goikovich and Bosko Petrovich (sorry, I'm not sure the spelling is correct), it definitely was Jazz, I would say, great writing and great improvisation + it was very influenced by Balcanic music (the same that influenced Bela Bartok I reckon) so: interesting "Eastern" melodies and odd time signatures, polyrhythms etc. I loved it, and great musicianship! And, by the way, in that same period, I've spent one summer in Austria and made friends with a beautiful Jugoslavian girl I met there (she was from Split-Croatia). I once said something to her about Yugoslavia as part of "Eastern Europe" (although it borders Italy) and she, very passionately, replied: "No! We are not Eastern! We are the centre of the world!!" So, again, "perspectives"...
    Anyway, plenty of "Eastern" Jazz musicians, past and present, deserving much more recognition...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That's a nice thought
    Not just a thought. I don't think there are any cultures or communities that don't have music at all. Some ban certain types of music, but not all music. As far as I know.

User Info Menu

Jazz is loved and played around the world. Not sure what the rest of the argument is about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Jazz is loved and played around the world. Not sure what the rest of the argument is about.
    I guess it's about figuring out where the border between East and West is...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    I remember, in the early 1980's, listening (on Italian radio) to Yugoslavian (yes, it still was Yugoslavia back then) Jazz musicians such as Dusko Goikovich and Bosko Petrovich (sorry, I'm not sure the spelling is correct), it definitely was Jazz, I would say, great writing and great improvisation + it was very influenced by Balcanic music (the same that influenced Bela Bartok I reckon) so: interesting "Eastern" melodies and odd time signatures, polyrhythms etc. I loved it, and great musicianship! And, by the way, in that same period, I've spent one summer in Austria and made friends with a beautiful Jugoslavian girl I met there (she was from Split-Croatia). I once said something to her about Yugoslavia as part of "Eastern Europe" (although it borders Italy) and she, very passionately, replied: "No! We are not Eastern! We are the centre of the world!!" So, again, "perspectives"...
    Anyway, plenty of "Eastern" Jazz musicians, past and present, deserving much more recognition...
    Well, the Mediterranean literally means the middle of the world innit… actually having been to Croatia many many times I can see where she’s coming from … a lot of history in Split. Big Roman palace there. Later the Venetian empire was incredibly powerful and fabulously wealthy, Venice just off to the north there…

(again we think iron curtain…)

I read a good book that pointed out for most of the history of the world the centre of the world was in fact what we today call the Near East… (rather to the east of Croatia) we in the Anglosphere tend to locate our history to the west for reasons of our bias…

User Info Menu

I have never been to Croatia, actually, but I can say, without cheating, that I have seen Croatia, with my own eyes, three times in my life from the small town where I was born, in the Marches, near the Adriatic sea. I have actually seen the opposite coast of the Adriatic... these are rare events, when the air is cristal clear, late September, early October...

Yeah, when she (Branka was her name) said: "we are the centre of the world" I thought to myself: "she probabily means the centre of Europe"... but, as you say, the Mediterranean was the centre of the (old) world and is considered (in the West) "the cradle of civilisation".