The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi !

While I was exploring my app.box, I found this.
    My last rehearsal as a saxophonist... (August 2020)
    It was the second and last rehearsal, we stopped because it didn't sound very well.
    Box
    Tell me what was wrong there ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Hi !

It was the second and last rehearsal, we stopped because it didn't sound very well.
    Box
    I can only really hear the sax through my computer's miniature buzzers pretending to be speakers, so that is all I can tell you about.

As a guitarist, I have noticed that people in general will hear a guitarist and think they sound fine, even pretty good, while I would say they were not so good, or even pretty poor. That is because the people in general don't know what's going on and I do, and I am pretty critical of music and musicians. I imagine this is a general thing - people that play an instrument are best informed to make the judgement of how well another plays it.

I played the Bb clarinet since a child, so I have a little idea of what the sax is about, and I don't hear anything in your sax playing I don't like. You sound like the real deal to me.

Was "it didn't sound very well" the feeling of some of the others, or the whole group, or just yourself? In any case, was it discussed among yourselves at the time?
    Last edited by pauln; 08-27-2023 at 12:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    As a guitarist, I have noticed that people in general will hear a guitarist and think they sound fine, even pretty good, while I would say they were not so good, or even pretty poor. That is because the people in general don't know what's going on and I do, and I am pretty critical of music and musicians.
    See, having been in bands for the last 25 years, I have a lower expectation than my non-musician wife. She expects greatness from bands, an improvement over listing to recorded music. As for me, someone who understands how hard everything you don't see is(learning songs, controlling rehersals, firing people who don't practice, booking and promoting a gig... all that stuff). I can enjoy a group if they are in tune and playing in time together.

As for Lionel's recordings, you're lacking feel. Girl From Ipanema had no bossa feel, it felt slow but not in a tempo way. The notes were dragging like Lester Young on a blues instead of hitting right on the beat like music to dance to.

User Info Menu

Hi !

Box
    To put it simply, more vibrato is needed. You know, you make your mouth go "waa-waa-waa" whilst blowing a note. Good controlled vibrato is all you need, The Tenor Sax really is an instrument that sounds close to the human voice, so make it YOUR voice.

Here's an example of a very, very simple and slow tune made magical by vibrato (ok, it's on a Baritone but have a listen anyway)

User Info Menu

Too bad you threw in the towel so quickly. You have a beautiful tone on the tenor.

Overall, the whole thing sounds super amateurish, but you can develop that. I'll bet, we've all sounded like this at some point. Except for Stan Getz and Jaco Pastorius, but they're long dead.

I only listened to the "Girl", but if you can't even play the melody safely and with impetus, such a slow tempo is deadly of course. Also one can hear that the embouchure is not stable and confident, but that has also to do with the slow tempo. And it can be "practiced out"

The bass player sounds bad and plays too simple given there is not much else there. But that can be changed too if the will to work is given.

As I said, sounds amateurish but could be improved.... I wouldn't give up the sax entirely....

PS.: And don't forget, this was recorded with a crappy tape (or whatever) recorder in a rehearsal room! Don't compare this to a mixed studio recording... PLEASE!

User Info Menu

Did you not get enough feedback on SOTW? So now you want to ask guitar guys, eh. I presume you are also on the trumpet forum. Those guys are really good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzereh
    Did you not get enough feedback on SOTW? So now you want to ask guitar guys, eh. I presume you are also on the trumpet forum. Those guys are really good.

User Info Menu

Lionel, what is all this? Why are you going back to 2020?

You haven't stopped playing the saxophone anyway. You've done lots of very good stuff here with saxophone. I'm not going to tell you what was wrong with that music back in 2020, you can hear it for yourself.

User Info Menu

Hi !

Box
    Um...You beat up the bass player for not knowing the changes to Autumn in NY, and couldn't find another one, because you got the reputation for being a sax player that beats up bass players?
    I don't know, you get a nice sound out of the horn, but maybe you lacked enough breath support to play with more energy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Lionel, what is all this? Why are you going back to 2020?

You haven't stopped playing the saxophone anyway. You've done lots of very good stuff here with saxophone. I'm not going to tell you what was wrong with that music back in 2020, you can hear it for yourself.
    Oh thanks very much, I was talking about playing with a band or something like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Um...You beat up the bass player for not knowing the changes to Autumn in NY, and couldn't find another one, because you got the reputation for being a sax player that beats up bass players?
    I don't know, you get a nice sound out of the horn, but maybe you lacked enough breath support to play with more energy?
    You're not so far from the truth, I figured out I was able to do everything by myself.
    Lack of energy, that's sure when it's a duet like this...

User Info Menu

lacking feel, dragging, not hitting right on the beat
    more vibrato is needed, go "waa-waa-waa"
    embouchure is not stable and confident
    lacked enough breath support to play with more energy

Please regard the criticisms with due caution!
    Lacking a happy rigid feel is good jazz playing
    Playing that hits right on the beat is less jazzy
    Playing with a nice beat-width is not dragging
    The vibrato example of Red Rose is ludicrous
    Mouth & breath - haven't you heard jazz sax?

I think some are imagining the sound of sax a
    caricature, like the way somebody might think
    the right sounds for the guitar has to push the
    stringy sound energy for chords, a bendy lead
    line, or that the right sound for a piano comes
    from the approach and style of pounding on it.

User Info Menu

Was able to listen to TGFI...I rather liked your tone. The whole thing is loose, and maybe sounds unrehearsed...but I dunno. I enjoyed it. I would definitely not stop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Was able to listen to TGFI...I rather liked your tone. The whole thing is loose, and maybe sounds unrehearsed...but I dunno. I enjoyed it. I would definitely not stop.
    Thanks, I don't stop, I was about to, I didn't play it anymore in bands because I couldn't find people who were able to play without losing themselves in the chord changes.
    So I began to play a little bit more the guitar for myself then a lot more.
    I also played the 7 string guitar to avoid some situations.
    At first the saxophone helped me a lot for my guitar playing, now it's the opposite (learning simple tunes without scores but only with my guitar experience).
    Now people know me better as a guitarist, they heard me playing the saxophone and wanted me to play it again but I refused because of one of the reasons I mentioned.
    When you are more preoccupied about what they play, you can't play. You can't anticipate.
    They want me to play the saxophone but they also complain because it's too loud.
    They want the sound but not too loud so there is a lack of dynamics and intentions.
    I can play with a kind of classical embouchure but I dislike the sound, a lack of technique for sure, my saxophones are not in a good shape but work well with a jazz embouchure even if it doesn't exist.
    A lot of subtone sounds, sometimes the sound doesn't come instantly, we could call this "latence".
    Be sure I won't give up.
    I don't know why I'm so aggressive in my thinking...
    I know really nice musicians who want me to play the saxophone again.