The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

A brewery by my house is starting a jazz jam. I missed the first week but made it this week. I got to play Bags Groove and then Satin Doll a little later. They’re going to try and keep it going every Thursday.

My spirits are high, what a great opportunity.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    A brewery by my house is starting a jazz jam. I missed the first week but made it this week. I got to play Bags Groove and then Satin Doll a little later. They’re going to try and keep it going every Thursday.

Nice!

User Info Menu

Carpe diem!

Hopefully you can turn it into more playing opportunities for yourself on top of having a place close to home where you can hone your skills. Best of fortunes out there.

User Info Menu

Playing live is the best test and pleasure.
    Good luck

User Info Menu

It only gets better from here on!

User Info Menu

That’s great, I hope you enjoy many more to come! Nothing beats a fun jam session. Let us know your thoughts on the next one. Is there a house band?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    That’s great, I hope you enjoy many more to come! Nothing beats a fun jam session. Let us know your thoughts on the next one. Is there a house band?
    The house band was a singer, guitarist, piano who also played trombone, electric bass, and drums.

There were two other trombonists and me as the jammers.

User Info Menu

Nice, I rarely get to play with trombonists. Sounds like a blast!

User Info Menu

The piano was up there and instead of trying to play chords I was either just sitting there listening or trying to comp with long notes like Baker/Mulligan. It was really great to put some of this stuff I've been working on to use.

User Info Menu

Great ! If they are good and you make some friends there you will get busy soon.
    If I were a broken record I would say you should get a 7 string guitar in order to make the difference.

User Info Menu

Excellent! Nothing beats playing real music with real people.

User Info Menu

Great news!

I might mention that almost everything I've done musically for the past 30+ years grew out of meeting a bassist at a jam session.

So, good luck with making a positive change in your musical life!

User Info Menu

Went to the jam again Thursday and was able to play 2 sets totaling 5 song. First set was

Nows the Time
    Satin Doll
    All of Me

and I must say, I did good. I stuck close to the melody, listened to everyone. There was no piano so I sparsely comped and tried a little Mulligan/Baker stuff behind the trumpet players solo.

Then the band played a little more and I got to go back up

Moanin’
    Bag Groove

These songs were not as great and something was just off. Unfortunately this was the set I recorded and it was as bad as I remember.

User Info Menu

That’s great, thanks for sharing your experience!

Those 5 tunes are amongst the ones called here, too. Perhaps “Now’s the Time” and “Bag’s Groove” a little less so. Maybe I’ll work them up to call at the next session here!

Does the house band call the tunes, or is it decided by those invited up to play?

User Info Menu

They asked me what I wanted to play. The drummer asked for Softly As In A Morning Sunrise, but I said I didn’t know it. The house band has had charts both times, but I can’t look at changes and play so I go up with nothing.

User Info Menu

I see, interesting, thanks.

Been meaning to learn the head to Softly, it gets called a lot here.

User Info Menu

They asked me what I wanted to play. The drummer asked for Softly As In A Morning Sunrise, but I said I didn’t know it. The house band has had charts both times, but I can’t look at changes and play so I go up with nothing.
    I have started to go to jazz jam sessions as well and if I am in such a situation (often ) I (try to ) comp with simple two-note voicings (third-seventh resp. third-sixth) pn strings three and four. That is relatively easy for me as practicing tunes I use simple shell voicings a lot. I try to quickly understand what is going on harmonically and then I try to throw in a sub here and there. Of course I make mistakes but never got thrown off stage so far ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    I see, interesting, thanks.

Been meaning to learn the head to Softly, it gets called a lot here.
    I thought it was an easy one, it sits on the fretboard well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    I have started to go to jazz jam sessions as well and if I am in such a situation (often ) I (try to ) comp with simple two-note voicings (third-seventh resp. third-sixth) pn strings three and four. That is relatively easy for me as practicing tunes I use simple shell voicings a lot. I try to quickly understand what is going on harmonically and then I try to throw in a sub here and there. Of course I make mistakes but never got thrown off stage so far ...
    My ears aren’t that good yet. Getting better, but I can’t hear changes and learn a song on stage.

User Info Menu

This is a great opportunity, Allen -- I'm glad you're returning each week!

Playing with a pianist can be fun, and a challenge for guitar (depending on the skills and ears of each player)! I've played with some who played all 88 notes, every song, all night long, so I learned to just sit and play when soloing (like a horn player); I've also had the joy of playing with pianists with big ears, who knew how to "take turns" or even play off/with the guitar -- so nice!

Regardless, as others have said, playing live with real people is lots of fun, and you will learn WAY MORE than in your practice room at home! (including what you need to go home and practice!)

You're near Chicago, and mentioned "Softly .." Here's how local Chicago boys Paul Wertico and John Moulder play it:

Marc

User Info Menu

The person in charge of the jam is moving away and I’m trying to inherit it. It’s real hard lining up players. Hats off to everyone holding down a gig.

User Info Menu

Dropbox - Part of Satin Doll.m4a - Simplify your life

Guess I never shared this. From a few weeks ago, I play the head and first solo.