The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Hi !

A band is playing, only standards.
    The boss is interested by the show but he is only interested by one person in the band for future gigs.
    How would you react ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So he wants to organize a new band for the concert....?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    So he wants to organize a new band for the concert....?
    No, he wants the one who can play alone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    No, he wants the one who can play alone.
    I didn't understand. Who is this boss?
    Leader of the band or ...?

User Info Menu

Perhaps the band is too expensive.

User Info Menu

The boss is the restaurant's owner.

User Info Menu

That happens all the time.

It's why I can play solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That happens all the time.

It's why I can play solo.
    OK but if your the band leader, you get the gig and the boss only wants one guy of the band for future gigs and it's not you.
    How would you react ?

User Info Menu

He’s not obliged to like or hire anybody. His offer is his choice.

OTOH - accepting the offer is a choice too. The chosen one could always roll the dice, take the three Musketeers approach and say - “all of us or none of us”.

In the end, a business agreement is a two way street.

User Info Menu

OK but if your the band leader, you get the gig and the boss only wants one guy of the band for future gigs and it's not you.
    How would you react ?
    Good for the other guy. The client wants what they want.

You could always ask and see if there was a problem you can fix, like the band being too loud.

User Info Menu

How would you react ?
    As bandleader I would advise this 'one guy' to accept the solo gig (since musicians need the work), with the expectation that he has to cancel if the band gets a gig on the same day\evening. I.e., take the gig, but the band comes first if there is a conflict.

User Info Menu

it is what it is, kind of like if you have a steady gig and someone comes by to sit in and the owner winds up liking them better than a person in the house band and wants to hire that person and maybe their band. hasn't happened to me but I've seen it many times. sure it's a drag to lose your gig, but if you were 'good enough' to keep it [at least in the boss's eyes/ears] you'd still be there.
    telling the boss it's all or none of us rarely works, there's always someone ready to take your place especially in a biz as cutthroat as music.

User Info Menu

His manager said she couldn't manage all the band.
    The leader wasn't very glad to know that but now he is OK.

User Info Menu

If you had more gigs you wouldn't care. This is no big loss unless you are the guy the owner wants in which case congrats.

The venue is probably cheap and doesn't want to pay a whole band. Not really the venue I'd want. They may have a failing business and think not shelling out a couple hundred extra will save it because they are clueless about running a business. About 95 percent of all club owners don't know what they are doing when it comes to running a business or dealing with bands. It's just part of the music business. Bars are often tax write offs, meaning designed to lose money for the owner, or money laundering schemes, or drug dealing operations.

If you want gigs you should ALWAYS be on the hunt for new venues and be consistently reaching out to those places even if you are fully booked. One bar folds and you can go from busy to not busy enough. Being booked up makes other club owners more inclined since you already appear to be in demand. Bands that gig a lot gig more. Bands that gig infrequently tend to stay that way. Might be captain obvious remarks I'm making but it might also do someone some good to hear it.

User Info Menu

If the one player wants the gig I'd wish him well.

I might ask the customer if there was a problem with the band and assure him that he'd be doing me a favor teling me if there was.

User Info Menu

How would you react ?
    I would look for a different restaurant and organize a different band.

User Info Menu

Let me guess, this one guy is the pianist?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Let me guess, this one guy is the pianist?
    Well, he could be the guitarist but, yea, likely the pianist.

When I first saw this thread my first reaction was: Ok, let the customer hire the drummer as a solo act. Good luck all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Well, he could be the guitarist but, yea, likely the pianist.

When I first saw this thread my first reaction was: Ok, let the customer hire the drummer as a solo act. Good luck all!
    I'm not sure this is relevant, but maybe.

I think, basically, you have to be worth the money to the customer. If he's making more money with your band than with the alternative, and he likes you personally well enough, then you're probably going to keep the gig. If not, then you're going to be out.

Fairness, or who got the gig in the first place, or any other consideration is likely to be secondary.

It is possible that he tried a band and thought his atmosphere was more suited to solo piano or guitar. His taste and his choice. There's nothing to be done in that situation.

You simply have to be worth the money, meaning the owner is selling more of whatever he sells because you're there.

Of course, this is true beyond music.

User Info Menu

How would you react ?
    I'd tell the player enjoy the gig if he wants it.

Many venue owners are like this. Your band mate will also lose his gig when some schlub undercuts him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I'm not sure this is relevant, but maybe.

I think, basically, you have to be worth the money to the customer. If he's making more money with your band than with the alternative, and he likes you personally well enough, then you're probably going to keep the gig. If not, then you're going to be out.

Fairness, or who got the gig in the first place, or any other consideration is likely to be secondary.

It is possible that he tried a band and thought his atmosphere was more suited to solo piano or guitar. His taste and his choice. There's nothing to be done in that situation.

You simply have to be worth the money, meaning the owner is selling more of whatever he sells because you're there.

Of course, this is true beyond music.
    I think your post here is very relevant. Cost of band compared to increased revenue by having said band. This creates what I call delta-value. It is a logical assumption that a solo act would cost less than an entire band, and thus that could lead to an increase in delta-value.

Of course, it can be difficult to determine the specific 'increased revenue' a band, duo, or solo act brings to a venue, but there are proven ways of doing so.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your answers.

User Info Menu

The leader has got other bands and asked the musician I was talking about to replace a member of one of his bands.

I’m a software engineer by day. I work as part of a team. But am asked to work on projects for other teams occasionally. It’s not weird or a slight to my team in anyway, I just have skills another team needs. I do the work and then I am back with my team.

is it not the same in the music business?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahzellers
    I’m a software engineer by day. I work as part of a team. But am asked to work on projects for other teams occasionally. It’s not weird or a slight to my team in anyway, I just have skills another team needs. I do the work and then I am back with my team.

is it not the same in the music business?
    It depends of people.