The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahzellers
    I’m a software engineer by day. I work as part of a team. But am asked to work on projects for other teams occasionally. It’s not weird or a slight to my team in anyway, I just have skills another team needs. I do the work and then I am back with my team.

is it not the same in the music business?
    I think this is more like the customer asking your boss to contract you out on the side. In business, it’s generally frowned upon to directly undercut your employer. In music it’s a free for all.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

^^^ Aaaah, yes, I understand the frustration now. I would be happy for the musician that was asked, and annoyed at the lack of respect by the restaurant owner. Although no one owns anyone else, so he rightly assumed he could ask any member to come and play for him regardless of band leader.

A man(woman)’s got to eat…

User Info Menu

Apparently as I know, the problem is solved.

User Info Menu

He sleeps with the fishes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    He sleeps with the fishes.
    No, he plays in two other bands led by the same guy (leader).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Hi !

A band is playing, only standards.
    The boss is interested by the show but he is only interested by one person in the band for future gigs.
    How would you react ?
    I don't see the problem. The boss can ask for what he wants.

It's up to the band. They can say 'Sorry, we all play together' or 'Yes, X will be happy to do it'. The band arguing among themselves is their business. All the boss wants is an answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't see the problem. The boss can ask for what he wants.

It's up to the band. They can say 'Sorry, we all play together' or 'Yes, X will be happy to do it'. The band arguing among themselves is their business. All the boss wants is an answer.
    have you been in a similar situation?

User Info Menu

In fact there was a band, the leader plays in a second one and invited his band mates.
    The boss was interested by one of them (he's got a kind of manager, that's funny and ludicrous but useful).
    The guitarist left the band and is replaced by the band mate he was interested in.
    That's complicated, the boss was about to give a gig to one of them and didn't call him, maybe he'll never do it.

He will be surprised when he sees him.

There are also other stories, quite positive for this guy. He didn't do anything and everything happens.

That's what I understood, I will ask him what's really happening.

User Info Menu

OK but if your the band leader, you get the gig and the boss only wants one guy of the band for future gigs and it's not you.
    How would you react ?
    shrug and find some other stuff to do on those nights.

User Info Menu

There have been plenty of managers or venue owners who are responsible for "destroying bands". The music business, in most cases, works like politics. The one who pays (most) has the biggest influence on the personnel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    There have been plenty of managers or venue owners who are responsible for "destroying bands". The music business, in most cases, works like politics. The one who pays (most) has the biggest influence on the personnel.
    The guy doesn't have this type of manager, it's not really a manager but works like a manager for him. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

User Info Menu

As music business is very much a connections and network business, it's towards any musician's interest to be a stand up and dependable person and professional. Just look at the bigger picture, no matter what a particular situation may be.

User Info Menu

Oh ! For sure he is not into the music business or industry, he doesn't need.

User Info Menu

Oh ! For sure he is not into the music business or industry, he doesn't need.
    It's hard to find a businessman who is interested in music... jazz in particular.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    It's hard to find a businessman who is interested in music... jazz in particular.
    I wasn't talking about his "manager".

User Info Menu

Now, everything is fine and peaceful. His last gig with his new and old partners was great.
    Some good interactions, the audience really enjoyed.
    Now it's time to go on holidays.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Sadly, it’s more often the one who promises the most who has the biggest influence. One of our best local performers had a wonderful band of talented, devoted, reliable players all of whom worked together on musical and business decisions. A guy none of us had ever seen before started hanging around the band and began his quest with the usual “you know you could be a star with the right manager” crap.

The band all warned the leader that he was being gaslighted, but the hook was set. The final blow was when the intruder promised the back cover of a major music magazine. One by one, the band was fired for bogus reasons and replaced with lesser (and less well paid) players who were desperate for the job and wouldn’t say anything about what was happening - in fact, I don’t think they were bright enough to even see it.

The schemer collected a cut of everything, but no recording contract ever happened, no major shows or venues ever materialized, and there was never a major magazine feature. The end result was that a great band was destroyed, and a great performer with strong potential never got the career he deserved (because of his talent - on the basis of his behavior, he deserved what he got). Many of us wouldn’t / won’t play for him if he asked because he treated his original band so badly.

I’ve only been involved in this kind of thing twice, but I’ve seen it many times. When it sounds too good to be true…