The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

Working with a singer is a challenge in itself. Each singer is his/her world and it's a guitarist's job to find that world, and to make it stronger, sound better and all without calling undue attention to yourself.
    But sometimes a singer just hears things in a different way. You have 12 tones that are fixed onto the fingerboard of your guitar. singer has no such encumbrances.
    What are you gonna do?
    Just to remind you, there is exists between heav'n and earth than imagined by a guitar's notes:

On national TV so it MUST be serious.

A valiant comper earning his pay

Keep a whammy bar on your L-5 the next time you take a last minute fill-in gig with a singer?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love the first comment on the first video: "Well at least she can say she doesn’t use pitch correction"

Edit: wow, so many good ones. Also this one: "She hit all the right notes, just not in the right order"

Video is worth it just for the comments.

Edit 2: second one chock full of funny ones ("This national anthem has more keys than my school janitor").

Seriously, thanks for posting as I am having some great chuckles with my morning coffee!

User Info Menu

I guess she is exploring and breaking the barriers, rules, and ear drums; she is ahead of her time.
    Hence, my favorite comment: "This is what Jacob Collier’s music is going to sound like in 2 years."

User Info Menu

Lol at the first video. Who tf helped her make a video singing out of tune the entire time? I can't tell if it's serious or a joke.

Lol at the 3rd video. Guy got hosed. I think he was trying to find which key she was in.

And the feeling of spring in the air!
    It's like watching an animal get tortured.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-26-2021 at 01:05 PM.

joelf Guest
    I love good singers, and have supported some damn fine ones. 2 memorable gigs for me were a steady with the excellent NYer Deanna Kirk and especially a month with the wonderful singer-pianist Hadda Brooks. She used to give me chills doing The Thrill is Gone---up to the front mic; rubato; me strumming, Morris Edwards bowing.

You HAVE to be the kind of player that wants the other person to sound good. If you have an ego put it in your pocket. Nancy Wilson wisely (and somewhat diplomatically) said 'there are pianists and there are accompanists'. And you listen; listen; listen---and wait for space to 'comment', just light punctuation will do. But then they may want you to be more engaged or, if unconfident, to even lead. You need to be ready for anything. And no harm in telling them they sound good, and for collegial, not selfish reasons.

But I can't resist a musician joke:

A singer wanted to sing a song on a gig, asked the pianist how he wanted to do it.

'Let's do 2 bars of 11/8 and 3 of 5/4---and you sing a 4th away from the key I'm playing in'.

'Wha? How'm I gonna do THAT?!'

'Easy. Just do what you did last night'...

User Info Menu

More Sarah Brand.

I am a singer-songwriter and director from Malibu, California. I write primarily pop music infused with sociological introspection spanning topics such as religious hypocrisy, inequality, and romance. I write all my music, as well as direct and edit music videos. I am currently living abroad in England for a Master of Science in Sociology at the University of Oxford. I received my B.A. in Sociology from UC Berkeley, with Highest Honors, and a minor in History.

My musical journey began when my poetry began coming to me with accompanying melodies. Then, I began to dream every night of playing the guitar. On my birthday, I got a guitar and proceeded to teach myself both guitar and piano. My mission is to write socially conscious music to promote compassion and introspection through different perspectives in musical and visual content.

User Info Menu

^ Is she serious?!!

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    but i can't resist a musician joke:

A singer wanted to sing a song on a gig, asked the pianist how he wanted to do it.

'let's do 2 bars of 11/8 and 3 of 5/4---and you sing a 4th away from the key i'm playing in'.

'wha? How'm i gonna do that?!'

'easy. Just do what you did last night'...
    hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    More Sarah Brand.
    My mission is to write socially conscious music to promote compassion and introspection through different perspectives in musical and visual content.
    Don't know whether she's a genius or clueless. Does she have any idea or intention regarding what she sings? In other words, is she a highly skilled off road driver or merely a car wreck with a lot of production backing?

User Info Menu

She don't need no education; she don't need no thought control. I expect her friends, those people in the videos, will tell her she is marvellous, and not to listen to the haters.

It is a pity she is learning from YouTube comments lessons a singing teacher would have taught her.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I prefer this version...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    What are you gonna do?
    Can she sing 'Far Away'?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Having nothing better to do today, I read through the comments on the red dress video. This one really made me laugh:
    Tried this song as an alarm tone set at 5am, now i have to wake up at 4:30am just to get ahead of it before the song starts playing.

User Info Menu

Everybody gets a trophy.

This is the result.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I prefer this version...

They oughtta Barr Roseanne.

Wait, they DID...

User Info Menu

I can't help thinking that Sara Brand is doing this on purpose for some reason. There's no way she can listen to her recordings and not hear how far off she is.

She's either playing everybody or she has some serious issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    ^ Is she serious?!!

hahahahaha

She is the very definition of a "mission statement" !!!

(BTW-did ya notice that she was from Malibu? Probably a bored trust fund brat.
    Last edited by Doug B; 07-26-2021 at 02:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue

I'll take door number two, Chuck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Having nothing better to do today, I read through the comments on the red dress video. This one really made me laugh:
    The whole comments section is gold. One of the funniest I've seen.

"She's not just hitting the notes, she's beating them up."
    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-26-2021 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    I can't help thinking that Sara Brand is doing this on purpose for some reason. There's no way she can listen to her recordings and not hear how far off she is.

She actually got a few hundred more subscribers recently, likely tributable to the horrendous performance (or possibly because of her hot attire.) Still not enough for a YouTube career...

User Info Menu

I always refer to one having “a great sense of rubato, with a free-floating tonal center.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Ummm… yea… her pitch correction unit went WTF? and Poof.
    and she doesn’t even fill out the red dress well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grandstick01
    I always refer to one having “a great sense of rubato, with a free-floating tonal center.”
    That about nails how to say they have no time and no pitch in the nicest possible way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    The whole comments section is gold. One of the funniest I've seen.

"She's not just hitting the notes, she's beating them up."

My neighbours are gonna think I'm going nuts-I can't stop cackling out loud! lol!!!