Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

As for me, my approach is - if it is worth doing, it’s worth doing poorly! (And for me, music and guitar have unique intrinsic value - so definitely “worth it “.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have always been a professional musician, either full time or to supplement my income from other (music-related) things. Last year I had 2 gigs. I have to admit that I enjoyed not having the pressure to perform at a high level. I played more at home and learned stuff that I’ll never use on a gig.
    The income from music these days isn’t enough to really matter. I only want to play with good musicians, and there’s less of them still gigging. So I’ve been turning down work for the first time I’m my life and am looking forward to being an amateur!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    With very rare exception, the level of pay available to jazz guitarists does not represent a living wage.
    "Jazz bassist: Someone who puts a $15,000 instrument in a $1,500 car and drives 150 miles for a $15 gig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
    "Jazz bassist: Someone who puts a $15,000 instrument in a $1,500 car and drives 150 miles for a $15 gig."

Post of the day!
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S.
    My friend, PZ, former bassist for the Chicago Lyric Opera sold his unnamed Hungarian, late19th Century Bass(one of many he owned) for 68K . . . 20 years ago. M

User Info Menu

Having gone through undergrad music school then to business school, it’s funny how the motivation changes when you actually have a fair shot at using your learning for something that offers a reasonable chance of a decent living.

but maybe becoming a professional musician is just like being a successful entrepreneur- both require an irrational level of self confidence