The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

I've hit a dead end so if someone has any suggestions I'd be thankful!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well, right now my bass player has to look after aging parents, so we are on a hiatus, but we're a guitar trio and I play up the fact that we don't have any horns, so you can actually talk to the person sitting next to you

believe it or not, that's one of the things I consistently hear from people....guitar trio is just pleasant to listen to

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller
    well, right now my bass player has to look after aging parents, so we are on a hiatus, but we're a guitar trio and I play up the fact that we don't have any horns, so you can actually talk to the person sitting next to you

believe it or not, that's one of the things I consistently hear from people....guitar trio is just pleasant to listen to
    Thanks!! That is a good point And I'll try it!

User Info Menu

good luck!

User Info Menu

I show up on time, look professional, don't take up too much space, and I don't play too loud (and I know when not to play at all)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I show up on time, look professional, don't take up too much space, and I don't play too loud (and I know when not to play at all)
    I do all of that also. However, I need suggestions on how to get my next gig. I have hit the wall. Is it because my bio sucks? Music not good enough? Or doesn't fit?
    I challenge you to go to my website and snoop around. Pretend you book a bad ass jazz club. Let me know what you don't find too appealing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roegtr
    I do all of that also. However, I need suggestions on how to get my next gig. I have hit the wall. Is it because my bio sucks? Music not good enough? Or doesn't fit?
    I challenge you to go to my website and snoop around. Pretend you book a bad ass jazz club. Let me know what you don't find too appealing.
    I challenge anyone who has some time to spare. I'd really love some feedback on my website actually. Link is in my signature

User Info Menu

there's nothing wrong with your web site, but you have to go and beat the street with the bottoms of your feet.

a website is world wide, but you have to book local enough to get there, right? so that's where you have to go down and talk to the owners or managers of your local clubs, hotels, cafe's, restraunts....that sort of thing

if there are any civil groups in your town, see if they have any functions coming up that you might play at. Even if those local civil events don't pay or don't pay much, you go do them and have CDs for sale, business cards, mailing list and any promo material you have...because those sort of gigs can get you into private parties and all sorts of other stuff

I live in a small market. Basically, we will book in the general Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster area here in south central PA, so there just aren't a lot of jazz clubs. Some years there's no jazz clubs at all. So I have to find places that might be open to the idea of a jazz combo, even if they don't regularly book that type of thing.

User Info Menu

there's nothing wrong with your web site, but you have to go and beat the street with the bottoms of your feet.

a website is world wide, but you have to book local enough to get there, right? so that's where you have to go down and talk to the owners or managers of your local clubs, hotels, cafe's, restraunts....that sort of thing

if there are any civil groups in your town, see if they have any functions coming up that you might play at. Even if those local civil events don't pay or don't pay much, you go do them and have CDs for sale, business cards, mailing list and any promo material you have...because those sort of gigs can get you into private parties and all sorts of other stuff

I live in a small market. Basically, we will book in the general Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster area here in south central PA, so there just aren't a lot of jazz clubs. Some years there's no jazz clubs at all. So I have to find places that might be open to the idea of a jazz combo, even if they don't regularly book that type of thing.
    I hear you on that one! Booking gigs behind a computer screen is almost pointless.

User Info Menu

but...your website is a great place to refer them to. Make sure your website address is on all your print materials...business cards, CD covers, t-shirts...anything with your group's name on it, make sure your web address is there too

User Info Menu

btw...in that earlier post I meant "civic groups" not "civil groups"

I mean town arts councils or tourist councils or if a nearby town has an annual festival...that sort of thing

and best of luck, brother. Hustling gigs is the part of the business I really hate, but you have to do it

I hear there's a support group for people who hate hustling gigs. Its called "Everybody". They meet down at the bar

again, good luck and good hunting!

User Info Menu

The only time I did consistent gigging was my college years, around 1980, in a bar band of popular rock and country music. Our selling point was that the establishment could expect a good crowd of people boozing it up.

If the establishment can make as much or more money, net of costs, without the music performance then it just doesn't make financial sense to hire the performers. It's tough to be successful running a bar/restaurant. They have to think financially so I would market myself accordingly.

Not an issue for me as I don't gig. There are so many players in town that play so much better than I do that it's just not worth gigging to me. If I had a gig my recommendation to anyone considering coming to the gig would be; go see Peter Sprague instead.
    Last edited by fep; 04-14-2016 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    The only time I did consistent gigging was my college years, around 1980, in a bar band of popular rock and country music. Our selling point was that the establishment could expect a good crowd of people boozing it up.

If the establishment can make as much or more money, net of costs, without the music performance then it just doesn't make financial sense to hire the performers. It's tough to be successful running a bar/restaurant. They have to think financially so I would market myself accordingly.

Not an issue for me as I don't gig. There are so many players in town that play so much better than I do that it's just not worth gigging to me. If I had a gig my recommendation to anyone considering coming to the gig would be; go see Peter Sprague instead.
    My last facebook status update was:
    "Anyone want to hire my band for their birthday? I know some good jokes...."
    Which, of course, is a joke. However, there is some truth to it. Whether it's a bar, a club or a birthday party it's almost better to know some good jokes than to be a badass player. Unless you jump around like Van Halen... I do believe most people judge by appearance and then what is said through a mic.

User Info Menu

btw...in that earlier post I meant "civic groups" not "civil groups"

I mean town arts councils or tourist councils or if a nearby town has an annual festival...that sort of thing

and best of luck, brother. Hustling gigs is the part of the business I really hate, but you have to do it

I hear there's a support group for people who hate hustling gigs. Its called "Everybody". They meet down at the bar

again, good luck and good hunting!
    Thanks Nate! I know hustling gigs is the least fun part of it all... And it takes a lot of time and effort.
    Unfortunately I've also had some bad luck with my choice of musicians. When I finally get a gig that's worth anything, none of who I call has the time to rehearse more than once. So when the gig comes it doesn't really go very well. I guess I should have called some easier tunes. And no originals...

User Info Menu

Gidday Azza
    I really enjoy your music, I even follow you on you tube and music cloud.
    Your website is very professional.
    The music is fantastic, your originals are really dig Song for Sydney and Fjord
    You have a cool image.

Therefore rock solid foundations.

Digging, really digging to try and come up with something for you:

- the large middle photo where you are clearly having a ball is a ripper where as the first photo is not so inspiring, give me more of those top middle ones;
    - the videos as a presentation could be more intimate and reflective of your cool image - maybe some close ups, some smiling and DEFINITELY some crowd enjoying your music, that is what I am buying as the gig booker I do not give a rates what your music is as long as the crowd comes and enjoys eg film the band from behind a table of people.
    -
    eg I like these - intimate, me the booking agent can see your type of audience enjoying it etc

this is I guess the next level of vid for intimate so for some arty ideas only:

I hear your music being more festive, I would like to see a video of you playing on a beautiful Sunday arvo outdoors at a winery or a community festival, something like that. So before we even see and hear you the scene is immediately set I know I am gonna have a good time. If that is the gig you want maybe do a little video of exactly that, even if it is a mock up.

Congrats on where you are at , man it is where 80% of us aspire to be. Good luck on this part of the journey embrace it and I am sure you will come out the other end with a better understanding of who you are etc. I look forward to seeing and hearing what comes out.
    Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roegtr
    Thanks Nate! I know hustling gigs is the least fun part of it all... And it takes a lot of time and effort.
    Unfortunately I've also had some bad luck with my choice of musicians. When I finally get a gig that's worth anything, none of who I call has the time to rehearse more than once. So when the gig comes it doesn't really go very well. I guess I should have called some easier tunes. And no originals...
    This sums up the worst aspects about trying to perform as a jazz musician. Pop musicians typically know they need to practice a lot, but good jazz musicians know they can get through it or fake it, and so are reticent to practice.

The tunes on your site are great. If you're having trouble it's not because of anything wrong with your music or playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    when I played with Pops carter and The band of Truth, that was exactly what we were talking about, too.

you know, one time I was playing with this old B3 player who was the band leader, and I asked Albie how he picked tunes on the bandstand. He said, "I watch the bartender. If she's putting money in the drawer, I keep doing what we're doing. If everybody's dancing and nobody's drinking, I'll slow it down. Give em a chance to finish their drinks..."

what he was saying was that he was engineering the crowd with the type of tune to keep them ordering drinks

I've done that with my trio, too. There was a place we used to play in Harrisburg, and Sal the bartender was a buddy of ours, and he said he always did real good at the bar when we played. People get all "jazzed up" and they start gunning down drinks like nobody's business.

Also, I never eat or run a big tab when we're getting comped. I like the place to make out when they take a chance on a jazz combo. Its good for business all the way around. That's me, though. I've known guys who liked to get paid handsomely when they get to run a bar tab, if you know what I mean

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Gidday Azza
    I really enjoy your music, I even follow you on you tube and music cloud.
    Your website is very professional.
    The music is fantastic, your originals are really dig Song for Sydney and Fjord
    You have a cool image.

Therefore rock solid foundations.

Digging, really digging to try and come up with something for you:

- the large middle photo where you are clearly having a ball is a ripper where as the first photo is not so inspiring, give me more of those top middle ones;
    - the videos as a presentation could be more intimate and reflective of your cool image - maybe some close ups, some smiling and DEFINITELY some crowd enjoying your music, that is what I am buying as the gig booker I do not give a rates what your music is as long as the crowd comes and enjoys eg film the band from behind a table of people.
    -
    eg I like these - intimate, me the booking agent can see your type of audience enjoying it etc

this is I guess the next level of vid for intimate so for some arty ideas only:

I hear your music being more festive, I would like to see a video of you playing on a beautiful Sunday arvo outdoors at a winery or a community festival, something like that. So before we even see and hear you the scene is immediately set I know I am gonna have a good time. If that is the gig you want maybe do a little video of exactly that, even if it is a mock up.

Congrats on where you are at , man it is where 80% of us aspire to be. Good luck on this part of the journey embrace it and I am sure you will come out the other end with a better understanding of who you are etc. I look forward to seeing and hearing what comes out.
    Cheers
    Oh man thanks for taking the time!!! I really appreciate your insight and I'll probably come back and read your reply many times. What you're saying about the vids is spot on and better videos is on my short list! And I'll look into the pics also. Thank you!

User Info Menu

Big compliments to you all for taking the time! I'll re read this post many times over! And I owe all of you a nice cold brew

User Info Menu

Great looking website
    You are already miles beyond my highest professional aspiration.

Regarding your website, I spent a solid 30 seconds there, which is about what you might expect.
    Redneck Samba is a fine short sample, if that's all they're gonna listen to. which it probably is.

Regarding gigs, I get all of mine through networking -- specifically, non-musician networking.
    If you can mix & mingle outside the music world, that's where lots of clients are.

One other thing-- maybe you need a Jazz Hat !?!

User Info Menu

In my experience, most local gigs are the result of personal contacts and references. Someone who likes your music knows the owner. Or you have some social interaction with the owner. Or you can drop the names of places you've played that might impress the person who books the venue. Or, if it's a new group, mention some band member that's played the venue with a previous group.
    If you're just getting started, compare yourself with an act that you know has successfully played the venue. Give the booker something specific to like about you besides your enthusiasm.

User Info Menu

Also, I never eat or run a big tab when we're getting comped. I like the place to make out when they take a chance on a jazz combo. Its good for business all the way around. That's me, though. I've known guys who liked to get paid handsomely when they get to run a bar tab, if you know what I mean
    What Nate Miller said is the natural truth. I was in a band that held a virtual residency for some time. At Christmas the owners gave me a box of Royal Jamaican Churchills (mighty fine fumas), telling me they had saved a small fortune from the fact I don't drink alcohol, this despite their keeping Yoo-Hoo in stock just for me. Good times!

Seriously. It's the bottom line.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 04-14-2016 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Clarity

User Info Menu

People have so many other things to do that are just as much fun as going out to a bar to see live music that bar owners don't waste their time hiring musicians. Why?

Bars/clubs are a business, not a charity. Unless you can prove to a venue that they are going to come out ahead at the end of the night after paying you, what incentive do they have?? It's a losing game for musicians seeking steady employment. Best to look at it as a hobby. Get a real job for income.

It's the 21st century, welcome to the same world as actors, writers, photographers, artists, dancers, comedians, clowns, and yes, musicians....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    People have so many other things to do that are just as much fun as going out to a bar to see live music that bar owners don't waste their time hiring musicians. Why?

Bars/clubs are a business, not a charity. Unless you can prove to a venue that they are going to come out ahead at the end of the night after paying you, what incentive do they have?? It's a losing game for musicians seeking steady employment. Best to look at it as a hobby. Get a real job for income.

It's the 21st century, welcome to the same world as actors, writers, photographers, artists, dancers, comedians, clowns, and yes, musicians....
    As much as I wish it wasn't so, I actually do have a "real" job for income. And it is full time shift work. I have kids to take care of also. Still, it doesn't mean that I see my guitar playing as a hobby. On the contrary, I try to tell myself that my full time job is my hobby... There is still hope in me that I one day can quit my day job. I just have to figure out my target...

destinytot Guest
    I've been taking marketing and sales seriously since December, and I'm focusing on three things:

1. my own database of 'followers' (watch owners' eys light up when you show them the 'Glengarry leads'...)
    2. my own events (joint-venture/partnership)
    3. my set being part of the entertainment of a larger event (e.g. during dinner or pre-meal cocktails), and that event needn't have anything to do with music.