The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Hello
    I plan to start my bachelor degree next year, but to do so I'll have to pass an entrance exam, in which I play some tunes. The institute provides a band for you, just send sheet. What should I play? I was thinking of Blue bossa and other standards, but are they too.... standard?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Play the tunes that you play the best. You are not showing off the tune - you are showing off how well you can play. So play the tune that shows how well you can play. Only you will really know what tune that is but if you post the tunes you are considering I bet there will be lots of guys around here with an opinion about what you should play. That might be a good rehearsal for the audition.

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on where you're going, what their emphasis or focus is. As a general rule, I'd say find something you know well, and have a good facility with. They're not looking to be impressed by your choice as much as what you do with it. More to the point, they want to see you do your stuff so they can tell who you are, assess what you know, and see how well you get on with your instrument.
    Something not obviously below your level, and something you can negotiate without any trouble. This is a chance for you to show your vocabulary, your confidence, your sound. If you pick something that lets you shine through, then you will do well and they can best tell where you'll fit in.
    If you might tell us where you're applying to, then maybe some alums or present students or faculty here on the forum might be able to throw in some specific insights for you.

Best of luck and good for you for caring enough to plan carefully.
    David

User Info Menu

Play what you can sound good on that is more important than a challenging tune you end up stepping on yourself with. Just make sure you're making the changes, that will be a big part of what they are listening for in your solo. If this is an in-person exam definitely pick a tune you can learn inside out and play in your sleep. You will be nervous so if you playing a tune you know inside out then you'll be able to relax more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    Play the tunes that you play the best. You are not showing off the tune - you are showing off how well you can play. So play the tune that shows how well you can play.

That advice is gold. Try making a list of your favorite ten tunes to play. If they have guidelines then use those to pick through the list. If they don't then pick a nice little stylistic spread (a med swing, a ballad, and a bop head or a med swing, a bossa and a blues). I will say this. Go memorized if you can do it comfortably. That shows serious maturity for a high school kid or college freshman or whatever.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the answers! You have all given me stuff to take into consideration when selecting!

User Info Menu

Also, if you have the time, if you could even transcribe 4 bars (8 would be better) of a solo from one of the masters for each of your tunes, I think it will really help you in your improvising on those tunes. It's not about quoting the master's solo, but somehow just having a little bit of a master's solo internalized really helps when improvising on a tune. I cannot explain why - it just is. Maybe because they make it seem so easy, or maybe because they provide a "mood" you can draw on.

User Info Menu

Better to play an easy song you know well vs a ``Challenging`` piece you can barely get through.

I`d definitely agree with coolvinny. Even if you don`t play a single lick from the solo you transcibed it will really change the way you solo over a tune. Maybe it`s having the visual map and reinforced picture of the solo, idk but it does work.

I have an audition coming up in February and I`ve chosen Have You Met Miss Jones, A Night In Tunisia, and Bag`s Groove. I`m considering cutting A Night in Tunisia for Stella by Starlight but I`m not sure.

Post some video`s of tunes you`re considering playing and I`m sure people could help you with making a decision and with other things too! That`s what I plan on doing!

User Info Menu

I have to pick 3 examples

1: Days of Wine and Roses
    2: Road Song
    3: ???

For the third, I'm wondering about writing a version of "this masquerade"

User Info Menu

body and soul

there will never be another you

User Info Menu

Freebird

User Info Menu

might want to stay away from another ballad, maybe go for a bebop tune that you already know so you don't have to learn the head.

User Info Menu

You should do one blues tune, IMO. Let 'em hear your soul.

User Info Menu

I suck at blues. The guy I'll be trying to impress is Wayne Brasel.

User Info Menu

Stick to what you know and as we say in the Uk break a leg! (Good luck!)

User Info Menu

practice counting the band in at YOUR tempo

seriously ..... practice counting it in at home

(once you've picked a couple of tunes start with a nice mid-tempo swinging tune)

Visualise the room , 'be' in the audition room
    relax with that ,
    hear the first tune at your tempo in your head
    relax ............
    OK count off the first tune outloud just like you will at the audition room
    play it through , don't stop for mistakes etc

rinse and repeat
    have fun

PS agreed , deffo memorise the tunes , don't read 'em

User Info Menu

I don't know how easily impressed the examiners will be but when I auditioned I remember they really hard to impress. Just imagine how many students they see trying to play complicated lines and using techniques like sweeping. Forget showing off, focus on sounding good, swinging, playing in time. It's better to execute simple lines clearly and confidently than it is to try to force complicated lines just to show off, in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Audition should be a musical reflection of YOU, that's what the adjudicators want to determine, unless you are competing for spot in a limited program. Then you are going to have to spank people.

User Info Menu

Alright. Went with Black Orpheus, Days of Wine and Roses, and Road song. It's done. Wish me luck.

User Info Menu

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Best of luck!

User Info Menu

I had the audition today, and it went terrible. I doubt I'll hear from the institute.

User Info Menu

Hey don't say that man!

You might think it was terrible because you're the most critical judge of yourself.

The judges are hearing things differently. They'll also know that you're under pressure and likely they'll take that into account.

I say don't beat yourself up. Forget about it. What's done is done and what will happen will happen. Best is to look back, pick 2 or 3 things that you thought you sucked at(again, don't beat yourself up!) and work on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    I had the audition today, and it went terrible. I doubt I'll hear from the institute.
    Fuck 'em. One audition doesn't mean anything. Shed up, try again and make 'em tell you yes.

User Info Menu

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Auditions are funny things though! Hard to judge.

Learning to audition is a skill in itself. I haven't auditioned much in my life as a guitarist, though I have had exams. It's completely unconnected to real music making, which is what makes it hard....