The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 118

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Awe, I feel bad for you. If you're that disappointed, send her off to me and I'll provide her with a good home.

Man and I thought mine looked pristine for a 4+ year old, two owner guitar. Your's looks untouched!

Thanks for the post and
    A little plating wear here and there, and a small chunk I had to have patched where my favorite dog dinged it with his tags while playing hard with his brother... had that patched and filled, barely noticeable, and a good reminder of him, now long gone. It gets played a lot, I’m just finicky. You should see my ‘73 LP custom... that beast saw plenty of bar gigs back in the day and still looks pretty close to new, if you don’t stand too close. I prefer to do my own relic-ing and not much of that

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by dickbanks
    Top Shelf! Congrats!
    Thank you very much db!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    When I got the L-5 style guitar back from Mark Lacey, it was so minty looking that I am hesitant to pull it out of the case because I have 7 other archtops I could play and not feel compelled to wipe completely down after playing. It is so pretty that I don't want to smudge it up. It deserves to be played because it sounds as nice as it looks.
    I have come to find I like guitars that already have some "honest wear" on them. I like the character of a slightly worn tailpiece, pickup cover, or the slight curve of a pickguard. I love my 7 Gibsons that include ES-175s and a Super 400. Most are "vintage" enough that they already have dings and crackles. It would be great to have a WesMo in the collection. I probably won't find one as clean as yours, Midnight Blues, but that will be OK with me. I can respect a gig-worn guitar. Wabi Sabi is what I have learned it is called. Here is one with a worn pickup cover I have seen that I will show you. I myself must look away or my GAS flares up.
    Attachment 60093

Although I was looking for a WesMo that was as pristine as possible, I don't mind some wear myself. I have four Gibson Les Pauls, two of which were purchased used that I've had for well over 45 years and two that were purchased new. I have a Gibson ES-355 that was purchased new, a Strat that was purchased used and two acoustic guitars; a Martin D-35 and a Washburn D10S, both of which were purchased new. As you can see, when it comes to that kind of stuff, I can go either way. It's all about what I like and what I'm looking for. Having typed that however, I am a bit fanatical when it comes to taking care of them.

That is one beautiful WesMo that you've seen! Outside of the wear on the pup cover, the rest of the top looks immaculate. The amp kind of looks like a Marshall to me? I don't know how you can look away though? This is how bad I am, if I find something that I'm interested in, I keep a picture of it on my desktop until it's gone, or more often the case, I buy it! I'm not real good at suppressing GAS pains!

Thanks for the post and

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    A little plating wear here and there, and a small chunk I had to have patched where my favorite dog dinged it with his tags while playing hard with his brother... had that patched and filled, barely noticeable, and a good reminder of him, now long gone. It gets played a lot, I’m just finicky. You should see my ‘73 LP custom... that beast saw plenty of bar gigs back in the day and still looks pretty close to new, if you don’t stand too close. I prefer to do my own relic-ing and not much of that
    I agree with you, I'd rather that I'm the one that puts the wear on my guitars. Each little dent or ding tells a story like your's.

I have a '72/'54 Limited Edition LP that my parent bought for me back in '73 (I'm a huge Peter Frampton fan and I had to have an LP that looked like his from the day that I bought Humble Pie's "Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore" album when it was released in '71. There are some nicks and bruises on there that all have meaning to me. I look at the Grover machine heads that I put on there and I think about my brother, who's a drummer, buying them for me at Manny's music in NYC, in the mid '70s while he was doing a two-week stint at the Playboy club in NYC with a band he was in at the time. I also see my father and my uncle drilling holes in the headstock to make them fit. Even though my tech changed it (which I never asked him to do), I look at the jack plate, which the original had been bent when I dropped my LP on a cement floor and I relive the moment.

Those are all things that keep memories alive and make the guitar (or whatever it may be) priceless.

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

Show us how it sounds

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Show us how it sounds
    I've got to get a mic some other things to do some recording. One of these days...

User Info Menu

Midnight, Absolutely perfect L5 Wes Montgomery you got there.
    I had one just like it. It was a really nice guitar. It is now in the hands of an extraordinary Jazz guitarist who entertains 1,000’s of fans every night. That’s what it should be doing.
    Your guitar looks to be in excellent condition. When you put that guitar in your hands something magical happens to you. You feel like you are the king of the world because you feel like only a king could be so fortunate.
    Enjoy the guitar. Thanks for sharing and Great pictures too!
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Midnight, Absolutely perfect L5 Wes Montgomery you got there.
    I had one just like it. It was a really nice guitar. It is now in the hands of an extraordinary Jazz guitarist who entertains 1,000’s of fans every night. That’s what it should be doing.
    Your guitar looks to be in excellent condition. When you put that guitar in your hands something magical happens to you. You feel like you are the king of the world because you feel like only a king could be so fortunate.
    Enjoy the guitar. Thanks for sharing and Great pictures too!
    Joe D
    Thank you Joe!

In reality, mine should be doing the same thing since there's no way I can do it justice, but I'm going to do my best nonetheless!

I'm usually horrible at taking pictures, but I have to admit that some of the ones I took didn't come out as bad as they usually do.

Thanks again Joe and

User Info Menu

2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-kr3_2184-jpg
    I've been playing one just like yours for 10 yrs. I sure enjoy it. I always try to play guitars that are better than me.

GREAT picture pt and what a beautiful WesMo!

Man, I wish I would've thought about what you try and do, I could've saved myself a tone of money and just bought one of the guitar packages from GC, or MF. Darn it!

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

Man I am so on the fence right now. A facebook friend is nudging me. PayPal Credit is nudging me. The slightest breeze and I swear I am going to pop for this WesMo I found that looks a lot like yours. I'll just shove the Lacey under the bed again. I really like it the idea of never selling a guitar again - just buying this one and then I'll be all set. Such First World problems in a retiree's life with good credit!
    2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-wes99-jpg

User Info Menu

Man I am so on the fence right now. A facebook friend is nudging me. PayPal Credit is nudging me. The slightest breeze and I swear I am going to pop for this WesMo I found that looks a lot like yours. I'll just shove the Lacey under the bed again. I really like it the idea of never selling a guitar again - just buying this one and then I'll be all set.
    I did it.

User Info Menu

I did it.
    Well done. Your other guitars might get lonely since it’s hard to not play an L5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did it.

Alright E2g! Way to go!!!! Don't you feel better now?

She's absolutely GORGEOUS and I love the "Teardrop" back!!!!

Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

Alright E2g! Way to go!!!! Don't you feel better now?

She's absolutely GORGEOUS and I love the "Teardrop" back!!!!

Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!
    I do feel much better, but my MasterCard balance is a little crazy. But I do feel better. These are not very easy to come by. This is a 1999 and it is due to arrive tomorrow from Lark Street Music in New Jersey so there will be a long warm up period upon arrival!

Certainly seems like the consensus that other owners have no intention of ever selling their’s and unstandably so.
    The store owner said the seller was a long time jazz player who recently had a stroke. I am sympathetic to his plight, but he probably otherwise would never of put this guitar up for sale. I will give it a good and loving home.

2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-sei_35765482-693a-jpg
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 02-20-2019 at 03:06 PM.

I do feel much better, but my MasterCard balance is a little crazy. But I do feel better. These are not very easy to come by. This is a 1999 and it is due to arrive tomorrow from Lark Street Music in New Jersey so there will be a long warm up period upon arrival!

The store owner said the seller was a long time jazz player who recently had a stroke. I am sympathetic to his plight, but he probably otherwise would never of put this guitar up for sale. I will give it a good and loving home.

2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-sei_35765482-693a-jpg
    I read ya and mine is too! Worth it though!

Sorry to read about the previous owner, that's a shame. I'm sure he'd be comforted knowing that it'll be going to a good home.

The waiting is the hardest part, but tomorrow will be here before you know it!

Congrats again and

User Info Menu

Nice! Also nice is when a lifelong musician has a stroke, often we humans can recover enough to use the guitar for therapy! A friend of mine is recovering from one 2 years ago. Being one of the Ancient Ones, He knows a boatload about Jazz Guitar, and it's a pleasure to work out with him ever couple of weeks. It's a win-win situation!

Congratulations! It's hard to beat a nice L-5, that's for sure! Keep on keeping on, and Play everyday!

User Info Menu

I can relate somewhat to the players who have strokes. Hopefully my condition will reverse itself. I still have the motor and sensation deficit in my right hand 2 1/2 months after my neck surgery. All was fine until about 7-10 days after the surgery, then progressive loss of use. The doctor is mystified as to what is going on with the C-8 innervation - how it got jangled up. I am to start occupational therapy now with nerve stimulus, etc. Nerves grow pretty slow, and now I am hoping this will resolve itself after 4-9 months.

I'm figuring out how to still play guitar by using a thumbpick on my immobile thumb. I am unable to pinch a regular guitar pick. I need to keep practicing my chord solos or I will forget them! The L-5 Wes Montgomery will be a great inspiration during my recovery. Did I say nerves grow so fuckin' slow! Ted

Sorry to read that. I wish you the speediest of recoveries and tons of enjoyment playing your WesMo!

User Info Menu

...and I noticed that there's thread for the Tal Farlow model (which is lovely in-and-of-itself) is there one out there for the WesMo model?
    There is now thanks to all of us!

Well, has she arrived (He typed while waiting with bated breath)?

User Info Menu

Chop maker is exactly right. You will play more and better with an L-5. It is an inspirational instrument, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Attachment 60192Attachment 60191Attachment 60190

Wesmo’s are my favorite. Still trolling for a black one to go with my tuxedo.

That’s three of a kind that beats a full-house any day Vinny!

User Info Menu

Well, has she arrived (He typed while waiting with bated breath)?
    Yes it arrived about 5 PM yesterday. I checked the temperature in the box and decided it was safe to pull the case out to warm up. I cracked open the case and slipped a wired remote temperature sensor (from a reptile set up) into the case by the body. It read 61 degrees F so I let it warm up a few hours until it was close to room temperature. I opened the case and found a beautiful L-5. It looked even better than the pictures indicated. There are a few minor scratches or shirt button marks here and there but nothing that stands out. The badge on the tailpiece is very tarnished. Where it says "Wes" is starting to get pitted from the oxidation so I am going to clean that up right away so it doesn't get damaged any more. All the gold plating looks good except for mild to moderate pickup cover wear. Today I plugged it in and was blown away by the rich, warm tone. No wonder owners never get rid of these WesMo's!
    2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-img_0912-jpg 2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-img_0914-jpg
    Big Enos and Little Enos2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-big-enos-little-enos-jpg
    2014 Wes Montgomery Gibson L-5-l-5-w-amp-jpg

User Info Menu

Easy,

You are in high cotton. GREAT amplifier to play the L5 (and Super 400) through!

GT