The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Just returned from a visit to check out a private collection. Played most of these archtops. But what did I play? Could you guys name them for me? I'm still in shock

DB

Checking Out a Private Collection-2-jpgChecking Out a Private Collection-1-jpg
    Last edited by Dutchbopper; 05-22-2021 at 02:09 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wowzers! That has to be one of the world's finest guitar collections. 4 genuine D'A's , a Stromberg and a Gibson Super 4000 (among many other Gibsons) make this collection worth more than many people's homes.

I will bet that was fun (and somewhat overwhelming). Which were your favorites?

User Info Menu

I hope Max405 can see these photos. Wow!

User Info Menu

What a magnificent collection in one place, DB. I would sell my right testicle to spend a day in that room.
    You are a very lucky man. Impressions to share?

User Info Menu

It was nice of the person to let you play these guitars.
    Which one did YOU like the best?
    AlsoRan, I saw them and I was just as shocked as DB was.. thanks buddy.
    JD

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Wowzers! That has to be one of the world's finest guitar collections. 4 genuine D'A's , a Stromberg and a Gibson Super 4000 (among many other Gibsons) make this collection worth more than many people's homes. I will bet that was fun (and somewhat overwhelming). Which were your favorites?
    It was fun but very overwhelming yes. I just texted him for what I actually played from his collection (he has more, I could not play all of them) and he told me I played:

1955 blonde Gibson L5
    2000 Gibson L5CT
    2003 blonde Gibson Wesmo L5
    2017 sunburst Gibson Wesmo L5
    1940, 1942 and 1947 d' Angelico New Yorkers
    1954 Stromberg M400
    1980 Gibson Super V
    1998 Gibson Citation
    1998 Gibson Super 4000
    1935 and 1937 Gibson Super 400
    2019 Elferink 1925 (18.5 ")
    1949 Gibson ES5

I did not play his Gibson Johnny Smith, his Gibson Kalamazoo Award, his Gretsches and a bunch of his Gibson J200s ...

I just LOVED the 1955 L5 and the blonde d'Angelico New Yorker.

From the electrics the ES5 was cool (but VERY much like my 1952 ES 350 that I had taken with me) and I liked one of the Wesmos and the Super V. The L5CT sounded WAY better than I thought it would, actually almost as good as the full sized Wesmo.

The 30s Super 400s were hard work to play. They had heavy roundwounds on them. The 1955 L5 and the blonde d'Angelico had a more modern playability. But the woods on the old Super 400s was so spectacular ...

The Citation sounded very woody.

What struck me that all the electrics sounded like they were coming from the same school, with slight variations as far as darkness and brightness are concerned. But the differences were never night and day ...

All the acoustic archtops sounded great and were works of art ... But my heart always goes out to the electrics.

DB
    Last edited by Dutchbopper; 05-22-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    It was nice of the person to let you play these guitars.
    Which one did YOU like the best?
    AlsoRan, I saw them and I was just as shocked as DB was.. thanks buddy.
    JD
    For an honest appraisal I would need more time with each of them.

First impression "best" (a combination of sound AND looks!!!!)

Acoustic archtop: 1955 Gibson L5
    Electric: Super V (very close second 1917 Wesmo).

DB
    Last edited by Dutchbopper; 05-22-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    What a magnificent collection in one place, DB. I would sell my right testicle to spend a day in that room.
    You are a very lucky man. Impressions to share?
    Have a look at my other replies for that!

Thanks.

DB

User Info Menu

DB to very frank about this you just played the best jazz guitars in existence in terms of the top of the class. Yes 4 Dangelico New Yorkers that look to be in fantastic condition. I think I know this person DB and will send you a PM to see if you might confirm the person. If it is the person I think so then one of the those Super 400's has a pickguard I made for them.

The one is a Stromberg Master 400 cutaway but some of those have been altered. To some extent that Stromberg looks too go to be true. I wonder how many have been refinished? A Gibson Kalamazoo Award model really rare and some think they are the best of Gibson. I not in that camp but they are still one of the best Gibson Archtops ever made. There is also a Citation and I have played a number of them maybe 10 or so clearly a real smoking guitar. A Super Vces pretty rare and underrated that one looks like the best one I have seen. A Gibson Johnny Smith, Elferink, L5 wes (2 of them) and just a plain old blond GIbson L5 non-cut ( imagine that.)

DB this sounds like you found a bottle with a Genie on the beach and open it up, and the Genie gave you ( my request too) 3 wishes for something enjoyable. Stuff like this is of a lifetime and for the lover of carved top guitars the gold mine experience. I would not sell my right testicle and I am a celibate, but I might pay some serious cash to spend a day playing those guitars. I am having trouble just taking in the photo and the depth of whole thing. Then reality sets in and we can't take them with us and it is fleeting.

DB you not only play well you find the right spot to play guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Here's a different setup with some of the same guitars ....

DB

Checking Out a Private Collection-4-jpg

User Info Menu

DB,

You played some of the most classic gems in the archtop world. Also in the collection were some hidden gems: Gibson Citation, Gibson Kalamazoo Award, and Gibson Super V.

I have found those hidden gems to be some of the best archtops ever. As an electric, the Super V is hard to beat, as you discovered.

User Info Menu

Very tasty collection indeed yummy

User Info Menu

If that isn’t archtop Heaven than I don know what is......WOW

User Info Menu

Wow - fantastic!

User Info Menu

Wow what a collection! That l5 and johnny smith in the second picture side by side.. perfection. I can imagine you had an amazing day! Kudos to the owner for inviting an amazing player to an amazing collection.

User Info Menu

Outstanding. That is an absolutely stunning collection! Congrats on getting the opportunity to test drive so many spectacular instruments!!

User Info Menu

DB - A player of your caliber is more than worthy to sample such an excellent collection. Congratulations, and treasure the memory!

User Info Menu

I can identify several, there's a Gibson, another one, annnddd a few more, and a few D'Anglico... some other brands :-) But, none there for me to any have personal experience with them. There's more beautiful blondes there than I've seen at a Miss Universe pageant! :-)

Q? Did any empty or substantially lighten your bank account?

User Info Menu

When I first opened the thread all I could see was the first row of five guitars and I thought "Wow, what a nice collection". Then I started to scroll down and saw the second row and thought "Wow, there's more". This is amazing. Then I scrolled down and saw the rest of them and it was insane! What a special day for you. Congratulations on the opportunity.

User Info Menu

I cannot even imagine walking into those rooms! Yowza!

Mentally shattered right now ...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hey DB,

Thanks for the story! Incredible collection.

Best and take care.

User Info Menu

i see so many guitars without bigsbys and i wonder what the point is

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    What struck me that all the electrics sounded like they were coming from the same school, with slight variations as far as darkness and brightness are concerned. But the differences were never night and day ...
    and this is why i don't collect guitars. this, and the requisite millions of dollars in disposable income. but mostly this.

apropos of little, i bet it smells nice in there.

User Info Menu

That's an education I'd like to have! No wonder Gibson archtops are so hard to come by over there. This guy has 'em all.

When I lived near Vanderbilt in Nashville my across the street neighbor was the bass player of the Fantastic Riders In The Sky Ranger Fred. I never met him but it was exciting for me to know he lived there. His guitar playing partner Ranger Doug loves Stromberg guitars and owns more than one. Those fortunate enough to have heard and play them feel they are probably the best rhythm guitar ever made. Ranger Doug gets to use one on his job with the Riders. People curious about the Strombergs may want to check out The Fabulous Singing Cowboys of America Riders In The Sky. They always do a fine,fine job!!!

I was hoping someone with the skills would post a good Stromberg player...say Ranger Doug for example. But I guess we can wonder how they sound on a wall with no audience .