The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Interesting as I don't think I've heard many examples of him playing standards in a duo... Cool to hear his approach:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That doesn't sound all that good to me. The comping is choppy, no tempo, and doesn't make the soloist sound good, which is what the job at hand is, not playing hip changes. Vanilla chords, in tempo, are much better at allowing the soloist to play whatever he likes and sound good. But that's just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Uh, OK.

I don’t hear his chord choices as particularly odd - lot of open triads actually. Lage certainly can play a lot of weird sounding stuff (often based on deceptively simple ideas) but I don’t hear that here.

At one point he even goes into straight fours.

He plays about as vanilla here as I’ve heard him play.

User Info Menu

I didn't mean the chord choices, just the rhythmic choices, and the note choices. Almost everything was near the same pitch as the horn, not in tempo, and overall the comping, at least to my ears, distracted from the solos rather than complementing it. It was hard for me to keep up with the solo because the comping intruded. But I'm certainly no expert, all I know is what I hear.

User Info Menu

All I can say is I wish I sucked that bad. lol

I absolutely love the playing in this video. I have watch it over and over.

User Info Menu

I though he did good! He was trying to keep things interesting I reckon, not to play the same way every chorus, which requires a lot of focused listening on behalf of listeners as well.

I play plenty of duets with horn players, and for me that's where the challenge is, to keep things interesting. I found my mentality is more like a pop player, keep things tight with repeating patterns. I get bored listen to myself sometimes. Lage Lund does not have this problem at all here, plenty to learn from.

Btw, I'm not the biggest LL fan, his bands don't inspire me too much, but I like what he's done here.

User Info Menu

Another thought- what the hell he's doing playing in kindergarten?

User Info Menu

I see this all the time and it make me so sad... Top musicians playing in front of stupid people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I didn't mean the chord choices, just the rhythmic choices, and the note choices. Almost everything was near the same pitch as the horn, not in tempo, and overall the comping, at least to my ears, distracted from the solos rather than complementing it. It was hard for me to keep up with the solo because the comping intruded. But I'm certainly no expert, all I know is what I hear.
    Granted the recording is probably from a phone so it sucks with the usual auto-recording level fluctuation stuff (which makes some notes jump out suddenly when it tries to compensate), but I really don’t hear what you describe.

He is playing mainly lower 4 strings so hardly in the same pitch as the alto sax. The tempo is exact too. To me this is a masterclass in comping for a duo situation.

User Info Menu

To me it's world class what Lage is playing here. Love it!

User Info Menu

Are they playing at a daycare?
    Lage Lund doing a background duo-screen-shot-2018-02-11-5-18-58-pm-jpg

User Info Menu

Lage sounds great here...

User Info Menu

I turned off half way through. Up to that point they seemed mostly to be playing without listening to each other. I'd hate to be a sax player with that sort of accompaniment.

No space no empathy.
    Last edited by sunnysideup; 02-11-2018 at 11:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Really?

I think they sound pretty tight.
    Huge ears even.

User Info Menu

In a way, too tight. Just going through the motions of what they'd rehearsed. Very few lines I'd want to hear again.

Strokes and folks eh.

User Info Menu

Did a gig like this in Sydney a while ago at a daycare centre with some of the best jazz musicians in the country. It was fun although a bit disheartening that when asked what instrument we were each playing, none of the children could identify a double bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Did a gig like this in Sydney a while ago at a daycare centre with some of the best jazz musicians in the country. It was fun although a bit disheartening that when asked what instrument we were each playing, none of the children could identify a double bass.
    Haha, are you kidding? Half population of adults can't identify a double bass in NYC, and I'm being optimistic! Give the kids a break lol

Lage Lund doing a background duo-92013608-352-k782207-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    In a way, too tight. Just going through the motions of what they'd rehearsed. Very few lines I'd want to hear again.

Strokes and folks eh.
    Some gigs you're going through the motions because you just can't wait to get outta there. I played in senior citizen centers, and it wasn't half bad, but in daycare? Not the musicians fault of course, we play anywhere for good cash, but who's idea to book a jazz in daycare, not the brightest bulb...

User Info Menu

I get your point Hepcat. But a lot of the younger players just sound like they're practicing in rehearsal rooms at music college. Playing jazzish stuff maybe but with the attitude and sensibility of a classical player.

I haven't heard enough of Lage to have an opinion about him, but this clip doesn't inspire me to want to hear more.

User Info Menu

That reminds me of a time I played at a school with a Gypsy jazz band. We did a whole presentation about Django Reinhardt, where Gypsy jazz comes from, the fire that destroyed his hand and so on.

At the end we ask if there are any questions. One little boy puts his hand up.

‘Sooo.... who is this Jungle Rhino?’

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Another thought- what the hell he's doing playing in kindergarten?
    He’s waiting for when I move on from that supermarket gig.

User Info Menu

Man if folks think this sounds bad I never want to post a vid of myself comping!!! Sounds great to me, though the lack of anyone paying attention around them makes me a little sad haha. If this can't get noticed than what can??

User Info Menu

I liked it a lot! What is the standard tune they are playing?

edit: (aha, found it: "From This Moment On" Cole Porter)
    Last edited by maggles55; 02-12-2018 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Does this feel more jazzy?

Statements like, "just playing what they rehearsed" doesn't sound right.
    Maybe they actually hear things differently?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer

Does this feel more jazzy?

Statements like, "just playing what they rehearsed" doesn't sound right.
    Maybe they actually hear things differently?
    I listened to it, and I almost watched through the whole thing... almost. I'm not gonna lie I found myself zoning out through half of it.

He has an amazing technique, his lines are super hip and he knows exactly what's his going for. The problem I have is he's not driving the band. There's no push and pull, maybe occasionally, but mostly he's just playing along. Dynamically and rhythmically it's all very even. It almost feels like classical etude sometimes. Blues feel never graced this solo! Is it a bad thing? Not at all, just preferences.

Another is the tone, I'm just not a fan of ambient dreamy cleans. Who pioneered this tone? Seems like all hip players are doing it. Not my thing for sure.

Other than that, he's awesome, and I mean he's a real artist with his own vision. I do appreciate class.