The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

CTI records, oh yeah

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 11-02-2017 at 11:15 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

A Child Is Born...post YOUR KB favs!

Bill Evans piano
    Harold Land tenor
    Kenny Burrell guitar
    Ray Brown bass
    Philly Joe Jones drums

User Info Menu

Not only is his playing top shelf, I love his arranging.

I love his chords and his single lines. I love how he is deep rooted in the blues and uses speed as a seasoning only. I really enjoy that I can understand what is going on.

I particularly love how this one moves between sections and the way this song moves into his solo in a different rhythmic feel and it is so seamless its magic.

Kenny Burrell - A Night At The Vanguard, 1959

The entire session

Kenny Burrell - guitar
    Richard Davis - bass
    Roy Haynes - drums

Conversations with Kenny Burrell - NYU@ UCLA

Kenny Burrell, Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers, Kenny Clarke

User Info Menu

I'd really be hard pressed if asked who my favourite jazz guitarist is with so many greats but at the end of the day Kenny Burrell would make the top of the list for a lot of reasons - just one of them being his immense versatility. If the song calls for it he plays a straight Jimmy Reed style shuffle with the same passion as he does improvising over a complex progression.

Here are two of my favourite KB albums:

The genius of Kenny Burrell-ellington_is_forever_volume_two-jpg

User Info Menu

I love this one, mainly because it's the first solo I ever transcribed. That showed me the underlying genius-in-simplicity that is (to me) the Kenny Burrell trademark.

User Info Menu

Hello Lawson, I cannot get link to work nor find the KB version, do you have another link
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Hello Lawson, I cannot get link to work nor find the KB version, do you have another link
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It might be worth trying on a non-Apple device if you have one. A lot of these videos are blocked by Apple on my iPad but work ok on my Windows laptop.

User Info Menu

2bop, I'm confident that you are not listening to any of Kenny's recordings in a digital format, correct?

User Info Menu

I once learned this arrangement of Old Folks from Kenny’s recording, it taught me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    2bop, I'm confident that you are not listening to any of Kenny's recordings in a digital format, correct?
    Via youtube through my desktop routed through my home system via a high end DAC yes. But I'm a vinyl guy through and through my friend

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Cheers
    Does this help?

User Info Menu

If you watch Mr. Burrell's right hand, you'll notice how he flexes his thumb as he plucks notes. He is so loose and smooth, even when playing fast lines. It's like he's gently encouraging each note, pulling out their very soul, rather than attacking them.

What a wonderful musician. One of my all time favorites.

User Info Menu

stating the obvious..but you still can't beat it...blue note classic..and blue note owner alfred lions fave bn recording ever

cheers

User Info Menu

This is one of my faves ...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu