User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Kenny's charlie christian record is killer. I love his tone off that record

Francois Leduc transcription

Francois Leduc transcription

User Info Menu

Groovin High, nice album from the 80's if I recall.

User Info Menu

KB's solo on "Freight Trane" is totally a classic:

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    fyi, I own the entire set, some 8-9 CD's released by this "Jazz For The" discs. Each disc has a different theme. They're compilation discs, each disc featuring a variety of jazz recordings and artists from the late 50's through the 60's...each is a great CD...Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

I own only two or three. Will look for the rest. Along that line, if you don't already have it, The Blue Note Years box set is great too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    I love how he is deep rooted in the blues and uses speed as a seasoning only. I really enjoy that I can understand what is going on.
    EXACTLY how I feel. When you aren't COMING FROM any sort of jazz background, Burrell is the "gateway drug" lol.

FWIW, for chords- I listen to Johnny Smith

User Info Menu

Great thread!

User Info Menu

Yes, great thread. Burrell is to be savored. Delicious playing with tone for days.

User Info Menu

I like a lot of different tones but, every time I play this recording I start salivating, love his tone on this recording of But Not For Me, I believe from '56

User Info Menu

Burrell doesn't waste notes and doesn't just watch his hands moving deftly on the fingerboard ripping lines that have been shredded for years. His notes have intention and meaning and you hear him constructing melodies and clear statements as he goes. You can sing his solos after hearing them and that is so, so rare. Technique is there but subordinated to music and the music pours out of the guy. Reminds me of Django in that regard. His tone and touch are just incredible also. Thanks to the OP for starting this. So much to listen to.

That CTI recording has Ron Carter and...if you can believe it...Billy Cobham on drums. Just beautiful.

CTI, aka Creed Taylor Records, had a who's who list of flagship players on so many golden recordings of the early 70's. Some hated the string treatment, but I found the strings to be complimentary. I grew up on a CTI recording of Freddie Hubbard, and recall First Light was so popular that it was frequently played on both AM-FM radio.

With George Benson on guitar, Jack DeJohnette on drums, Ron Carter on bass, Richard Wyands on piano, Airto Moreira on other percussion, Hubert Laws on flute, and many more.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell live with fathead newman and hank crawford