The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I'd like to hear from others about some of the South American Jazz musicians.
    Current" Marco Pereira, Nonato Luiz, Paolo Martelli, Ulysses Rocha, and others.
    I have attended workshops with these people at the Univ of Fla Latin American Studies and they have opened up "whole new worlds" of sound and
    rhythm. They all seem to possess strong classical backgrounds: are well
    skilled in classical(European) harmony and add to this the flavor of their
    part of Brazil with song forms like Bossa, Choro, Samba, and many others

I love Baden Powell. Am aware of people like Jobim and Hermeto as composers
    of Brazilian song.

Love to exchange info...music ..transcriptions...songs and first hand
    experiences.

I'm very new at this, but thought it might be worth a go.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Jazzarian Guest
    I love them.

JOBIM, Milton Naciemento, Jorge Ben, Dori Cayami, Sergio Mendes, Deodato, JOAO GILBERTO, Oscar Castro Neves......

User Info Menu

Not aware of Dori Cayami..who
    Any specifics. Your list is more modern..yes there is Joao Gilberto, Giberto Gil,
    Joao Bosco. Wonderful. What is it you like about each. How did you get into
    Brazilian music.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoncmason
    Any specifics. Your list is more modern..yes there is Joao Gilberto, Giberto Gil,
    Brazilian music.
    When I was a 12 year old, my first guitar teacher made me learn Wave, when all I wanted to do was learn Beatle music at the time.

Little did he realize he started me down the path of anti-social jazz behavior.

I must give Santana some credit as well. Hearing him play Jobim's Stoneflower kind of reaffirmed my love of Brazilian music. Later on I'd buy all the big Jobim records/CDs, like Wave, Tide, Stoneflower etc.

Jazzarian Guest
    Brazilian music.

PS: I recently purchased an old Sergio Mendes compilation "4 Sides". Got it from Amazon.com delivered for $6 !!!!!

There's some great videos of Brazil 66 on youtube.com. The ladies were gorgeous and sang like angels.

User Info Menu

I am a Jobim freak, and feature more bossa tunes in my solo rep than balance would suggest.

Impanema, Insensitive, Red Blouse, Corcovado, Black Orpheus, Gentle Rain, Blue Bossa, Wave, Desifinado, & The Shadow of Your Smile. One of my favorite Wes tunes is Unit 7 due to it switching from an 8 bar blues in the A section to a Latin swing in the B section.

I got exposed to Sergio as a kid. A local guy, Danny Embry, has held the guitar chair for Sergio for many years and tours. Danny plays with a local band "Sons of Brasil", and they are always good for a wonderful show. Love those Latin rhythms.

User Info Menu

I think I was listening to Unit 7 today. I need to look at the chart and at my iPod.While exercising on the treadmill it has been Wes the last several weeks.

Do you know anything about Hermeto...he is a composition idol in Brazil.
    A character as well...tunes on napkins....napkins with tunes on his head.
    He has written thousands of tunes. I know of him, but have none of his music.
    I do not think he is a performer, or if he is he is not much recorded.

I have several Jobim fake books in PDF....interested parties?

Do you earn a living playing. Or is it just a passion. For Jazzarian and
    Derek.

Sergio Mendes: I think I purchased "Greatest Hits" and Brasileiro from CD Baby or CD Universe. Both are available in CD. The former produced by Herb Alpert.
    Melodies you can humm and return to often.

Think Black Orpheus and Gentle Rain written by Luis Bonfa. Johnny
    Mandel wrote Shadow of your Smile (wonderful as a Bossa). Blue Bossa Kenny Durham. Black Orpheus is one of my favorite. It is from a beautiful
    1960's sound track of a movie by the same name. If you love the Bossa
    Nova and Samba, get the visual and rent the album from Netflix of other.
    Great movie...great sound track. Another tune from there: Samba de Orfeu.

Back to practicing

User Info Menu

When speaking of movies ... there is this documentary about Brazilian Choro idiom by Mika Kaurismaki called Brasileirihno (2005) ... featuring, among others, a very talented guitarist Yamandu Costa - certainly worth checking.
    Last edited by bojan; 06-03-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bojan
    When speaking of movies ... there is this documentary about Brazilian Choro idiom by Mika Kaurismaki called Brasileirihno (2005) ... featuring, among others, a very talented guitarist Yamandu Costa - certainly worth checking.
    I'll remember this. But I do not want to digress to film but..from your part of the world I recently saw " Gypsy Caravan" a wonderful documentary of the
    Romani's in several places one of which included Macedonia. It is a must see
    music adventure.

User Info Menu

are there english subs in it?

User Info Menu

fast1,
    "Brasileirihno" was aired last year on ZDF theater channel - on two occasions - for a month or so, with several weekly reruns and (alas?) ... with German subs. Nevertheless, one may listen to the sound-track on Yamandu's web site - for example, "Formosa" is a breathtaking duet of seven-strings guitars ...
    Now, back to the topic: I too love Bossa (the urban sound of my childhood) but I am reluctant to play any of it ... it is a rather demanding form in respect to the tone, snap, spark and metric counterpoint and it is sooo easy to slip into a generic sound of that lukewarm elevator music (muzak?) ...
    Finally, I would like to ad few guitar names which, I believe, fully deserve to be mentioned in this thread: Irio De Paula, Carioca, Tonihno Horta, Egberto Gismonti, Nando Carneiro ...

User Info Menu

fast1,
    "Brasileirihno" was aired last year on ZDF theater channel - on two occasions - for a month or so, with several weekly reruns and (alas?) ... with German subs. Nevertheless, one may listen to the sound-track on Yamandu's web site - for example, "Formosa" is a breathtaking duet of seven-strings guitars ...
    Now, back to the topic: I too love Bossa (the urban sound of my childhood) but I am reluctant to play any of it ... it is a rather demanding form in respect to the tone, snap, spark and metric counterpoint and it is sooo easy to slip into a generic sound of that lukewarm elevator music (muzak?) ...
    Finally, I would like to ad few guitar names which, I believe, fully deserve to be mentioned in this thread: Irio De Paula, Carioca, Tonihno Horta, Egberto Gismonti, Nando Carneiro ...
    Gismonte is as close one can come to totally blending European (Brazilian)
    classical with jazz. His voicings and rhythmic drive seems to come from the
    Amazonian rain forest. It is incredidibly new yet totally refreshing. Infancia
    is the album I know well.
    Tonihno Horta I know they name (from the Nelson Faria book) but not
    the music.

User Info Menu

I think I was listening to Unit 7 today. I need to look at the chart and at my iPod.While exercising on the treadmill it has been Wes the last several weeks.

Derek.

Sergio Mendes: I think I purchased "Greatest Hits" and Brasileiro from CD Baby or CD Universe. Both are available in CD. The former produced by Herb Alpert.

Mandel wrote Shadow of your Smile (wonderful as a Bossa). Blue Bossa Kenny Durham. Black Orpheus is one of my favorite. It is from a beautiful

Back to practicing
    I aspire to pro level chops, but keep my day job. I have a regular solo gig weekly, and pick up additional solo gigs a couple of times per month. Played a tea tasting this past Sunday, which was pretty cool. I also regularly play in the band at my church, all pro level players, but pop/rock stuff.

In addition, teach about 8-10 students, both guitar and bass. So for now, it is part time. I intend on ramping it up when retirement approaches.

User Info Menu

He's excellent. I found out about him from a post on this forum. Definately worth listening to.

There was another post here about a Guitar festival in Toronto featuring Brazilian players. Man I wish they'd bring that to NYC or Newark, NJ. Lot's of Brazilians in these two cities.

I think 46th street between 6 & 7th in NYC is called 'little Brazil". They can pclose off that stree tand have it right there.

User Info Menu

from a website approved by his son, philippe baden powell:

Tabs

other cool stuff baden-related on the rest of the site.

User Info Menu

Does Argentina count too?

Check out Luis Salinas. He is brilliant!
    I bought a 5CD set on ebay (from Argentina) called "Luis Salinas Clasicos De Musica Argentina." He has a very astounding range of styles from folk, to classical to jazz - all on nylon string guitar. Great music!!

User Info Menu

Hello!

Well, I lived in Brazil (now I live close to Buenos Aires, Argentina) maybe I can help you out with some names and info.

Guys like Marco Pereira (he has a kickass brazilian guitar rhythm book), Ulisses Rocha, Alessandro Penezzi, Yamandu Costa, have a strong classical background, and a huge influence from Baden Powell. The usually play spanish guitar with nylon strings. Choro is a huge influence for them (probably because Choro is really influenced from european styles, like polka). Pixinguinha being probably the most important choro/samba player from the early stages. There is a whole songbook of Pixinguinha (Choro). Also Benedito Lacerda. They are also heavily influenced from classical guys, like Abel Carlevaro (Uruguay), Heitor Villa-Lobos. Even Jobim was heavily influenced from Classical stuff. These guys are more of the Southeast part of Brazil (Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo), where choro, samba started. Yamandu Costa is from the South, his music also has a strong influence of Southern music (mixed with Argentina and Uruguaian music). Some styles like Zamba, Chamame, Milonga, even Tango, etc

Hermeto Pascoal is from the Northeast part of Brazil and his music is really different from the guys mentioned above. He has a lot of European influence (instruments). Tipical rhythms are Baiao, Frevo, however he stills has a HUGE influence from samba, and more southern styles.

Milton Nascimento is from Minas Gerais (middle of brazil). His music is amazing, he definetely puts a new flavor into Brazilian Music. He goes quite into pop music tho. Saw him last year playing with Wayne Shorter 8)

Dorival Caymi is from Bahia. This guy is great. Many of brazilian standards were made by him. ex: Maracangalha, Saudade da Bahia, Samba da Minha Terra, etc.. His sons and his daughter are also musicians. Dori, Nana and I cant remember the other one.

Joao Bosco is another amazing dude. Check out Mantiqueira Big band. They play quite a few stuff from him, big band style. He is from Rio I think.

Toninho Horta, Egberto Gismonti.... CHECK THEM OUT !!! Toninho has some nice harmonic ideas. Gismonti ... no words for him. Completely genius.

Btw, Sao Paulo has a great Brazilian Jazz scene. Its more of an underground scene really, nothing very popular, but its very innovative. I have some stuff on CDs... if anyone is interested please let me know.

Do check out also Moacyr Santos. Big composer.

Luis Salinas argentina, Leonardo Amuedo uruguay.

More names: Ivan Lins, Naylor "Proveta" Azevedo, Cristóvao Bastos, Joyce, Hamilton de Holanda, Chico Pinheiro (he plays with Brad Mehldau), Edu Ribeiro, Elis Regina, well... there are certainly more...

Hope that helps!

-Zhivago

User Info Menu

Derek.

Back to practicing
    Can I have please some scores? thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Btw, Unit 7 is latin, but a more cuban latin. South America has A LOT of different rhythms. Naming them all latin is quite a big mistake, even though it is common to refer to south american rhythms as latin style.

I would say that the Unit 7 rhythm is more from central america, cuban style.

Jazzarian Guest

Derek.

Back to practicing

I recently picked up Sergio Mendes' "Four Sides". Much of that being a bit too pop, but there are some really good songs too. Lani Hall doing an amazing job on vocals. I suspect Herb Albert was twisting Sergio's arm into playing American pop hits, where as I vastly prefer the Brazilian aspect of Brazil 66.

I've had Jobim's "Wave" songbook forever. I recorded a archtop jazz rendition of "Mojave".

Making a living playing jazz in the United States is almost a comical thought these days. We're a nation of insipid, obnoxious idiots.

User Info Menu

Zhivago Thanks,

You have my head swimming. Over half the names I know and have some music of....there is an active Latin American Studies program here in Gainesville at the Univ of Florida. That is how...thru master classes I have met and heard some of these individuals. Unfortunately, I'm not a classical player...it's a very different training routine. One that could be very helpful
    in the "jazz" medium, but the 2 traditions do not mix well here, in the US. That is what is so wonderful about Brazil...and maybe South America....no
    academic boundaries.
    I have some of the "early thoughts" on the Pereira...rhythm book. I was not
    sure the book was even published. Can it be purchased and is there a CD
    accompanying the various song forms. I would love to correspond directly with you.....I too have "some" old Brazilian vinyls, via a teacher of Ethno
    musicology here....but it sounds like your library is vast. Luis Salinas was
    one name I was told to hear...never found his music anywhere.....And of all the names you mentioned.....I did not see Piazzolla.
    Are you a player or listener...or both. I'd love to share some stuff. I would love to get some of Hermeto...his sense of humor alone intigues me. I know nothing of his music.
    Please,contact me directly thru E Mail if you are at all interested.
    I am mostly a standards player...with affection for bop and "horn"..Wes, Raney, Pass, Johnny Smith....love Ellington and Hodges...
    Retired Dentist and pretty "old"...but still at the fretboard most of the day.
    Love to hear directly from you and thanks for all the good info, regardless

Jason Mason

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Zhivago Thanks,

You have my head swimming. Over half the names I know and have some music of....there is an active Latin American Studies program here in Gainesville at the Univ of Florida. That is how...thru master classes I have met and heard some of these individuals. Unfortunately, I'm not a classical player...it's a very different training routine. One that could be very helpful
    in the "jazz" medium, but the 2 traditions do not mix well here, in the US. That is what is so wonderful about Brazil...and maybe South America....no
    academic boundaries.
    I have some of the "early thoughts" on the Pereira...rhythm book. I was not
    sure the book was even published. Can it be purchased and is there a CD
    accompanying the various song forms. I would love to correspond directly with you.....I too have "some" old Brazilian vinyls, via a teacher of Ethno
    musicology here....but it sounds like your library is vast. Luis Salinas was
    one name I was told to hear...never found his music anywhere.....And of all the names you mentioned.....I did not see Piazzolla.
    Are you a player or listener...or both. I'd love to share some stuff. I would love to get some of Hermeto...his sense of humor alone intigues me. I know nothing of his music.
    Please,contact me directly thru E Mail if you are at all interested.
    I am mostly a standards player...with affection for bop and "horn"..Wes, Raney, Pass, Johnny Smith....love Ellington and Hodges...
    Retired Dentist and pretty "old"...but still at the fretboard most of the day.
    Love to hear directly from you and thanks for all the good info, regardless

Jason Mason

Hi Jason! Im pleased to know that Ive been of some help. Sorry for any english mistake. Well, Im a guitar player and a listener ! hehehe, I also study classical guitar (Carlevaro method) and some classical piano, which I find a requisite for any kind of music. I am happy to hear that you do have some access to our music there, and happier to know that you are interested in it.

I have the Marco Pereira book here, with the CD. So it has been published. I dont know of any way you could buy it. I got it from a friend of mine (actually photocopied it, dont tell Pereira plz).

Well, my library is not THAT vast, its just the good music we have here. My parents used to listen to lots of Brazilian stuff, and I dunno, my musician friends passed me a lot of different stuff, teachers. I do have quite a lot of things, but not as close of what Ive heard. I used to go to a Choro bar in SP... amazing !!! Thats how you really get into the brazilian stuff.

I do have some Luis Salinas stuff. Will be glad to share.

Piazzolla... just forgot ! Lots of Piazzolla stuff here. My grandfather has almost everything from him. I do reccomend his Central Park Concert.

I am kind of a jazz player too (at least trying). Standards, but I like almost everything from jazz (not much of a fan of the electric time tho). I do enjoy bop a lot, tho I must say that pos bop is what I really really like. I do enjoy a lot K Jarret music too.

Please, would be AMAZING to share some knowledge, info, music, experiencies with you. I will send you my email via PM.

I am really interested in jazz, instrumental music, history. Well, pretty much everything that could be defined as culture.

Again, glad to be of some help.

-Zhivago

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zhivago
    Btw, Unit 7 is latin, but a more cuban latin. South America has A LOT of different rhythms. Naming them all latin is quite a big mistake, even though it is common to refer to south american rhythms as latin style.

I would say that the Unit 7 rhythm is more from central america, cuban style.
    That is good to know. I have always played that B section with a Bossa feel. Not sure I could do a Cuban feel unless I heard it first. This thread has been very helpful, thanks for the education.

User Info Menu

Pedro Aznar! The voice from the heavens..