Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

No, not who wrote it. Who played it?

And while we're at it, Never Forget.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I believe it was Dan Ferguson Allyn Ferguson's son. Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson were the top team back then for TV themes and background music.

The story I heard was they were in the studio and having trouble coming up with a theme. Dan picked up a bass and started jamming and that became the base of the theme. Dan was a studio guitarist back in those days.

Whoa that was fast!

You rock, docbop. You ARE the FedEx of funk!

User Info Menu

there were 2 different takes used. same tune, different solos of course

User Info Menu

I believe that Danny Ferguson also playe dthe "Rockfords Files" theme as well...

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    I believe that Danny Ferguson also playe dthe "Rockfords Files" theme as well...

:-)
    Well, according to our brothers over here The Steel Guitar Forum :: View topic - Rockford Files guitarist?

you are quite correct.

I thought it was Larry Carlton who played that rocking solo I used look forward to on summer Friday nights, but no.

User Info Menu

I think Larry Carlton's most famous TV theme was/is the Law and Order theme. If you want to hear some of the finest guitar playing you'll ever hear, check out Larry's playing on "Amelia" from Joni Mitchell's Hejira album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude Moser
    I think Larry Carlton's most famous TV theme was/is the Law and Order theme. If you want to hear some of the finest guitar playing you'll ever hear, check out Larry's playing on "Amelia" from Joni Mitchell's Hejira album.
    Naw, for most famous - he got a name check on Mike Post's "Theme From Hill Street Blues".

User Info Menu

Larry, played on so many...

Hill Street Blues
    Greatest American Hero
    White Shadow
    Magnum PI

All tasty and memorable...

User Info Menu

I didn't know who played the guitar but I know that bass line was done by Carol Kaye.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by schmoe
    Well, according to our brothers over here The Steel Guitar Forum :: View topic - Rockford Files guitarist?

you are quite correct.

I thought it was Larry Carlton who played that rocking solo I used look forward to on summer Friday nights, but no.
    However, I think it's Larry on a lot of the episodic scores for that show - the volume swell guitar parts are so him

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    I didn't know who played the guitar but I know that bass line was done by Carol Kaye.
    If talking Barney Miller that was Dan on bass he came up with the line.

User Info Menu

According to the site from the link provided by the OP
    BARNEY MILLER
    Aired: January 23, 1975 – May 20, 1982 (ABC)
    Theme Song: Jack Elliott & Allyn Ferguson "Theme from Barney Miller"

The killer Barney Miller bass line is the type of groove that beat-diggers spend years searching the ends of the earth for, and there it was on prime time television. There seems to be some confusion as to who came up with the fantastic opening, but apparently it was studio musician Chuck Berghofer who improvised it during a jam session. It's nothing short of awesome—word to Abe Vigoda.

User Info Menu

Geez, how many people are taking credit for that line? There's definitely a lot of confusion. I wonder if when they changed seasons, they also rerecorded the opening song with different studio musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Larry, played on so many...

Hill Street Blues
    Greatest American Hero
    White Shadow
    Magnum PI

All tasty and memorable...
    Well, if you admit to watching Magnum PI this conversation is over
    p.s. There was a show called Greatest American Hero?

User Info Menu

Sorry guys...I know this is an old thread, but my brother, Dan Ferguson was the guitarist on:

Rockford Files (all)
    Magnum P.I. (NOT Larry Carlton, as is being incorrectly noted on All Music, and other sites we're finding)
    Greatest American Hero (all)
    White Shadow (all)
    Barney Miller (all)
    Charlie's Angels (all)
    and about a zillion others, not to mention, over 120 albums...but, there are lots of Dan Ferguson guitarists on Google, and many of his credits are incorrectly given to others...many more credits than are incorrectly given to him.

Oh, and the bass line that is mentioned for Barney Miller was done by Chuck Berghofer, not Carol Kaye. I know because my father, Allyn Ferguson, was the composer, and I was in the studio session! Chuck heard it on the way to the studio...but, I won't tell you where he heard it...!
    By the way, Barney Miller was recorded twice, for first and second seasons, but it was always Dan and Chuck on gtr. & bass.

Last edited by cetteferge; 04-28-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: extra info

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. To be fair, I think we'll need to give time to Larry Carlton's brother

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cetteferge
    Sorry guys...I know this is an old thread, but my brother, Dan Ferguson was the guitarist on:

Rockford Files (all)
    Magnum P.I. (NOT Larry Carlton, as is being incorrectly noted on All Music, and other sites we're finding)
    Greatest American Hero (all)
    White Shadow (all)
    Barney Miller (all)
    Charlie's Angels (all)
    and about a zillion others, not to mention, over 120 albums...but, there are lots of Dan Ferguson guitarists on Google, and many of his credits are incorrectly given to others...many more credits than are incorrectly given to him.

Oh, and the bass line that is mentioned for Barney Miller was done by Chuck Berghofer, not Carol Kaye. I know because my father, Allyn Ferguson, was the composer, and I was in the studio session! Chuck heard it on the way to the studio...but, I won't tell you where he heard it...!
    By the way, Barney Miller was recorded twice, for first and second seasons, but it was always Dan and Chuck on gtr. & bass.

Cetteferge, it would be interesting to gain insight into his gear. The guitar sounded similar on most of those shows, what was he playing, amp, effects?
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

The more, the merrier! It's always fun to learn new things & to hear so many different views & stories.

User Info Menu

Very cool that we get official confirmation. I imagine lots of bass players love this theme - here's a version that's pretty amazing:

User Info Menu

Very cool that we get official confirmation. I imagine lots of bass players love this theme - here's a version that's pretty amazing:

The guy on the left is warming up to play "the chicken"

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Cetteferge, it would be interesting to gain insight into his gear. The guitar sounded similar on most of those shows, what was he playing, amp, effects?
    Thanks.
    Read my mind.

Gear talks.

User Info Menu

I've forwarded the link to my bro, Dan. So, hopefully he'll chime in here, and give you all the relevant 'deets'. I remember something about his red Gibson 335td, but I'm not the expert & I know he had many, many different guitars, dobro, 12-string, mandolin, etc. in his studio case over the years, ALL of which he wishes he had back, if he sold 'em...!

User Info Menu

I too can confirm you are correct. I played bass on a lot of those shows with Danny. (We called him Danny back then! Ha!). Mike Post used Lyle Ritz, Lee Sklar, me, and latter on by the time they got around to White Shadow, it was Neil Stubenhaus. I only did a couple of White Shadows 'cause Neil was WAY more funky! Ha!
    Fun times back in the good ol' days...

User Info Menu

Whoever wrote that bass line for the barney miller theme is my hero.