The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 106

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti Study Group is now moving on to Ticket To Improv, Volume 3: The Blues! All are welcome.

This is the thread for Project 1: A two chorus solo over a 12 bar blues in the key of 'C'.

Note: In this project there are two 12 bar solos and three different sets of 12 bar chord changes.

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:

March 20: Measures 1-12 (chord changes: V1)
    March 27: Measures 1-24 (chord changes: V1)
    April 3: Measures 1-24 (chord changes: V2)
    April 10: Measures 1-24 (chord changes: V3)

I've tried to set a relaxed schedule that will allow us to learn all 4 parts of the project. I'm open to suggestions.

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Made a couple passes at the first blues solo today. Nothing I'm going to post. It was more of an experiment in recording.

Looks like this is how I'll be doing it for awhile:
    iPhone into amp. (I'll use an Aebersold track uploaded to iTunes for this blues.) Guitar into amp (Fender Mustang 2) set to a clean tone. Very clean. Nothing but clean, no gain, no delay, no reverb, we're talking "Mr. Clean."
    Blue Yeti mic in floor by amp.
    Webcam plugged into laptop.

Not the best tone for my guitar, really, but I think it's the best way to hear how I'm actually playing. ("Distortion covers a multitude of sins.") And it should be louder than recent videos, with the backing tracks discernible.

Now if only my playing would improve... ;o)

User Info Menu

I just ordered the wrong book. ???? I got “Big City Blues, Vol. 1”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    That's a different book, alright. I got that from a friend here. Lot of good blues material in that solo, so you may want to to use it here too. ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That's a different book, alright. I got that from a friend here. Lot of good blues material in that solo, so you may want to to use it here too. ;o)
    Is the material for this thread a book or DVD?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

I like that rule.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Is the material for this thread a book or DVD?
    It's a DVD with a PDF document on the disk that you can print out. Just transcriptions of the solos on which the lessons on the DVD are based.

User Info Menu

I'm still behind on WWH--still need to post my final clip. For some reason this solo just won't stick in my brain. But I'll get it done soon!

User Info Menu

I'm in. I just ordered the DVD, not sure I'll get in time for the first deadline though.

User Info Menu

There may be a problem with the Conti web based ordering software. I ordered Ticket to Improv Vol 3 but got a receipt for Vol 1 - The Blues.

Transcript with support:

Conversation started on : Monday, March 12, 2018, at 16:14 (GMT+0)
    [16:19] Steve, Support: Questions I can answer about the Robert Conti learning products?
    [16:27] Frank Pratte: I just ordered volume 3 but my receipt says "Vol. 1 - 12 bar blues". What?
    [16:27] Steve has joined the conversation
    [16:27] Steve: Hi there
    [16:28] Steve: Yikes, let me take a look for you
    [16:28] Steve: Just a moment
    [16:29] Frank Pratte: Thanks. Doesn't make sense because Vol. 1 is not the 12 bar blues, Vol 3 is the 12 bar blues
    [16:29] Steve: You wanted to order Ticket Volume 3 ?
    [16:29] Frank Pratte: Yes Volume 3 - 12 bar blues
    [16:29] Steve: Oh no, Volume 1 is the 12 Bar Blues in the Big City Blues series
    [16:30] Steve: Volume 3 Ticket to Improv has a 12 bar blues as one of the projects
    [16:30] Frank Pratte: I wanted Ticket to improv series
    [16:30] Frank Pratte: Ticket to Improv Volume 3
    [16:30] Frank Pratte: Can you fix this?
    [16:31] Steve: I understand now, yes, we will amend this for you. Since they're the same price, you don't need to do anything
    [16:31] Frank Pratte: Order no. 3138018
    [16:31] Frank Pratte: Thank you!
    [16:31] Steve: Got it - we'll get you straightened out
    [16:32] Steve: anything else I can assist with?
    [16:35] Frank Pratte: No thanks, I think there is a problem with the software, I used the backwards arrow on chrome and it took me back to the Ticket to improv page. I never looked at the other product.
    [16:36] Steve: According to your page visit history I can see here, you visited both Volume 1 and 3 of Ticket To Improv
    [16:36] Frank Pratte: But never big city blues project, right?
    [16:37] Steve: Not that I can see here
    [16:38] Steve: We'll definitely check into the issue, if there is one - thank you for letting us know quickly so we didn't send the wrong product
    [16:38] Frank Pratte: Thanks, I'm participating in a study group on ticket to improv. Cheers
    [16:40] Steve: Sure thing - happy to help, great to hear you're in the study group - great bunch of guys over there

Hi rlrhett -- As Mark mentioned, Big City Blues V1 is not the Conti product we are working on. In this thread, we are working on Ticket To Improve Volume 3. Although both products address Conti's take on 12 Bar Blues. I've had BCB V1 sitting around for a while and plan to work with it in conjunction with TTI V3.

I'm in. I just ordered the DVD, not sure I'll get in time for the first deadline though.
    Hi Frank, Welcome to our study group! To date, it has been a very functional group with lots of playing and very little discussion that gets in the way of the lessons. Regarding the deadlines for this project, I believe there is plenty of slack as this particular solo is only 24 bars. Hope all is well down in San Diego. Regards, Joe

User Info Menu

There may be a problem with the Conti web based ordering software. I ordered Ticket to Improv Vol 3 but got a receipt for Vol 1 - The Blues.
    I can see how that might happen.

As for the 12 bar blues we're on now, I can send you a pdf of it.(You've already ordered the DVD, so you've already paid for it, really.)

User Info Menu

Transcript with support:
    Yep, that is exactly what happened to me. No biggie. I can order the correct book too. Just the cheapo in me that hates to pay twice for shipping.

User Info Menu

I just got this email from Conti. These guitars go above and beyond. I thought I should pass it along:

Steve forwarded your comment that you made in the study group about ordering the wrong title (we keep tabs on how you guys are doing in the group) Don't worry about a thing - when your order ships, we'll include the Ticket To Improv title with it so you can get going on the study group with the rest of the guys :-) Thanks for your patronage and support!

Kind regards,
    Mike

PS. Totally their initiative. I hadn’t said anything to them about ordering the wrong title.

User Info Menu

I just got this email from Conti. These guitars go above and beyond. I thought I should pass it along:

PS. Totally their initiative. I hadn’t said anything to them about ordering the wrong title.
    Mike is a great guy. Conti is too. Conti really wants people to learn from his material. He wants players to improve and to enjoy playing.

I'm excited about getting going on TTI Volume 3. I was off in the wilderness for a time but now I'm back on track. ;o)

User Info Menu

Conti is pretty close to the action with his company, too. He has actually phoned several in the study group from time to time just to encourage them. Pretty amazing. I am not at all surprised that he was pro-active in taking care of your problem, and not surprised at the way he did it.

User Info Menu

Not sure how this happened, but one thing led to another and I ended up making a clip. Likely I need to do better, but this can set a low bar to make others feel great about their work!

User Info Menu

By the way, I'm working on this with an Aebersold backing track, from Volume 42, Blues In All Keys. The tempo is a little slower than Conti's 102 bpm but I think it sounds okay.

User Info Menu

Practicing today and made this, just for fun:

User Info Menu

Sounding good Lawson, laid back in a comfortable groove. The split screen is cool. I'm using the free Windows Movie Maker which doesn't do split screen. What software did you use?

User Info Menu

Sounding good Lawson, laid back in a comfortable groove. The split screen is cool. I'm using the free Windows Movie Maker which doesn't do split screen. What software did you use?
    I use a program called Screenflow, on a Mac. It's mainly for preparing educational video material where you have a lecturer and a second screen, like PowerPoint or the computer screen itself. Modest capabilities but I use it all the time for my classes, so it's what I use for my clips here too.

User Info Menu

I'll get a vid up here soon. Lately been playing a simple (Aebersold) head, the Conti solo, a chorus of comping, and then some Herb Ellis lines from his "Blues in C" solo ("Swing Blues"). Sounds pretty danged good to me, but only a recording will tell the truth about that. ;o)

User Info Menu

Took some liberties, 90% Conti's notes, 10% not

Last edited by fep; 03-15-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Took some liberties, 90% Bruno's notes, 10% not
    Way to introduce yourself to the group Frank! Fine playing and tone. This project is going to be fun.