Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29
    Quote Originally Posted by basinstreet

Gmajor 1st degree - g- b - d - F#-g
    Gmajor 3rd degree - b- d- F# - g -b
    Gmajor 5th degree - d- f#-g - b - d

etc?
    That one, but with the 7th as well. The example is posted in his first PDF on that post, "maj7chord arpeggios".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Just adding to Reg's excellent post, I found a useful way to organise and hear parallel major modes was in order of brightest to darkest. Taking the 6th string 'G' as a reference point, proceed in the following manner: G lydian, ionian, mixolydian, dorian, aeolian, phrygian, locrian. As you might expect, this arrangement has its own internal logic. The modes are arranged in a cycle of descending 4ths - Mode 4, 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7:
    Attachment 47171
    The important point Reg makes is that scales, arpeggios and modes should be visualised and practiced both across and up the fretboard. For instance, if you only play modes in derivative fashion, e.g. G ionian, A dorian, B phrygian etc. all played from 2nd position, it's easy for the ears and mind to switch off, turning it into a routine digital exercise.
    done a good bit of this , and it's really effective for basic geography. One thing I like about approaching things that way is that it gives you a "place" for alterations etc. I mean, usually there's more than one way to finger something, but it gives you defaults which don't require much thought.

It's really easy to underestimate the value of working on things as 2-octave inversions as a starting point. The rhythmic and picking reference benefits are significant. Noticed in that Mimi fox video, posted elsewhere yesterday, that she's working arpeggios in 2-octave "inversions".
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 10-30-2017 at 08:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    That one, but with the 7th as well. The example is posted in his first PDF on that post, "maj7chord arpeggios".
    Ah thanks for the clarification, serves me right for sneaky forum scan reading when i'm at work.

shows how much intellectual 'grazing' i do rather than focused practice

User Info Menu

So there are obviously a few collections of studies to help get fretboard together, I'm going to just start posting and when I finish, I'll start working on applications and how to have references when creating relationships. I'm posting examples in "G" because they're easiest to see and start with on guitar.

Here are the rest of 7th chord arpeggios, I believe 7th chords are a better starting point or basic reference for jazz than triads. Triads would be next.
    Attached Images Attached Images